• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So, a few changes to expected squads with injuries and bad form since this was closed.

For me personally I'd look at taking:

Green
James
Hart

G Johnson
P Neville
Ferdinand
Terry
Upson
Cahill / Jagielka
A Cole
Warnock

Barry
Lampard
Gerrard
J Cole
A Johnson
Milner
Hargreaves (if fit) / if not Carrick
Lennon (if fit) / if not A Young
Walcott

Rooney
Crouch
Heskey
Defoe

The fact it took me a long time to think of this lot is a concern - this close to the tournament we ought to be able to nail down 19 or 20 of the squad.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I thought about attempting it but there's just too many squad places I'm not sure of.

grecian

So, a few changes to expected squads with injuries and bad form since this was closed.

Green
James
Hart

G Johnson
P Neville
Ferdinand
Terry
Upson
Cahill / Jagielka
A Cole
Warnock

Barry
Lampard
Gerrard
J Cole
A Johnson
Milner
Walcott

Rooney
Crouch
Heskey
Defoe

The fact it took me a long time to think of this lot is a concern - this close to the tournament we ought to be able to nail down 19 or 20 of the squad.

What about Scott Parker?

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Green
James
Hart

G Johnson
P Neville
Ferdinand
Terry
Upson
Cahill / Jagielka
A Cole
Warnock

Barry
Lampard
Gerrard
J Cole
A Johnson
Milner
Walcott

Rooney
Crouch
Heskey
Defoe

Based on who I think will go rather than who I'd pick I'd have following differences:

Green
James
Hart

G Johnson

P Neville G Neville
Ferdinand
Terry
Upson

Cahill / Jagielka Lescott
A Cole
Warnock Baines

Barry
Lampard
Gerrard
J Cole

A Johnson Wright-Phillips
Milner
Carrick
Lennon (if fit)
/ if not A Young Downing
Walcott

Rooney
Crouch
Heskey
Defoe

Fabio's never called on Phil Neville and elder bro is playing himself into form, Lescott is a fixture in squads, Baines played v Egypt ahead of Warnock, SW-P another fixture & Downing has experience over Johnson and left-footedness over Ashley Young.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah I was going by who I would pick (knowing full well that Fabio has other views)

Not so sure about Lescott being fit following his recent injury though?

grecian

Yeah I was going by who I would pick (knowing full well that Fabio has other views)

Not so sure about Lescott being fit following his recent injury though?
So you wouldn't go for Scott Dann? I rate him from what I've seen, but I guess you've seen him more.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he went from Coventry to the World Cup in the space of 12 months it'd certainly be something - to be honest he's not one I'd even considered, but you don't get to see a lot of Birmingham on TV.

Oh, just realised the centre midfielder I forgot - get rid of Adam Johnson from my squad as there's too many wingers already - bring in Arteta.

grecian

If he went from Coventry to the World Cup in the space of 12 months it'd certainly be something - to be honest he's not one I'd even considered, but you don't get to see a lot of Birmingham on TV.
Well I'm really not happy with Upson, Lescott or Terry:ph34r:, so I'm desparatly looking for English names, and he has looked decent on the few occasions I've seen him. I think, got a presence which we could do with I think. Yet your right, he's probably not ready.

Oh, just realised the centre midfielder I forgot - get rid of Adam Johnson from my squad as there's too many wingers already - bring in Arteta.
Edit; misread that really, I see your not being really serious, but I'll leave my pointless answer anyway.

Nah, Johnson is really a guy that I rate, could be the impact player for us, from nowhere. Certainly would rather they go for him then the likes of SWP. Oh yeah but Arteta can play for us anytime he wants, one of the top-five midfielders in the country, IMHO.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest, I wasn't 100% joking. If he wanted to play, I'm sure we'd find a spot in the squad, especially when then anonymous Carrick keeps getting picked.

grecian

To be honest, I wasn't 100% joking. If he wanted to play, I'm sure we'd find a spot in the squad, especially when then anonymous Carrick keeps getting picked.
Well would be a bold move from player and country. Mind you I think Carrick is a better England player then club player, he does retain possession well, which is more then could be said of a lot of our mids, and that's key in internationals, but yeah I'd prefer Arteta, obviously.

Matteh

Would pick Arteta in a heartbeat if he wanted to play. The likes of Poland and African/Middle Eastern countries have been 'acquiring players' for years. Closest i can think of England having foreign players before is Le Saux/Le Tissier.

grecian

Would pick Arteta in a heartbeat if he wanted to play. The likes of Poland and African/Middle Eastern countries have been 'acquiring players' for years. Closest i can think of England having foreign players before is Le Saux/Le Tissier.
GIMH's fave person was Jamacian obviously, wish he'd stayed that way TBH. Gary Bailey is Saffie and he was awful.

France do a lot of pilfering of players too, why not us.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
France do a lot of pilfering of players too, why not us.
Like who?

Vieira, Desailly, Boli etc. might not have been born in France but they moved there at a very young age and grew up in France.

Someone like Vieira has far more of a case to play for France than for Senegal IMO.

grecian

Like who?

Vieira, Desailly, Boli etc. might not have been born in France but they moved there at a very young age and grew up in France.

Someone like Vieira has far more of a case to play for France than for Senegal IMO.
Fair enough, I don't really know the backgrounds, just knew that they and Zidane and others were born out of the country. Hey I've nothing against it myself, hence why I'm advocating Arteta playing:)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tony Dorigo was a crim wasn't he, Terry Butcher was born in Singapore but grew up in England IIRC

Hargreaves the best example though really

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fair enough, I don't really know the backgrounds, just knew that they and Zidane and others were born out of the country. Hey I've nothing against it myself, hence why I'm advocating Arteta playing:)
Fairly certain Zidane was born and brought up in Marseille, albeit to Algerian immigrant parents.

edit: Wiki confirms it.

Plus, Arteta doesn't qualify for England, since 2 of his years of UK residence were spent in Glasgow.

Last edited: