• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - New Zealand v South Africa (24th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's going to be upset if he loses, whether he looks like a dill or not. So he may as well try and big up his team's confidence.
Yeah IDK, I get that he'll be chastised if he loses regardless. It just seems like a longer drop to the sword when he's effectively saying 'we have the best team in the world so if we lose, I must be a pretty *** captain, because I have the best resources at my disposal".

Burgey

I get it. I suppose the only context here is that we've been extremely long suffering fans, hence the slight over-excitement & exaggeration now we're one of the better sides going around.
Yeah I can understand that. I think I had a row with Athlai or Flem (same thing) during the quarter final when I posed this question. As a Parramatta fan I can understand where that sort of emotion comes from, especially on match days. But I seriously reckon the fact they've in such a good space needs to be embraced and just enjoyed.

If NZ got bundled out tomorrow (I don't think they will), would their fans say the team has disappointed in the WC? From an emotive POV you'd say yes, because you're up for the big games and it's disappointing when your side loses. But as a neutral fan, I think they've played the best cricket in the WC. India has been good too, but it's a bit one dimensional from them imo, plus I've seen so much of them this summer it's all a bit meh. NZ has provided the best entertainment so far imo. But it's a very open WC this time around, so I don't know if any of the four sides which are left could say they've had a let down if they don't win it (barring a SL in the quarters-type disgrace).

Edit: Flem just summed it up well too

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
it's a knock out and the sides are evenly matched. it would be a failure but it wouldn't mean everything is lost if we bow out tomorrow. we're still going to have a good team in 2015.

Burgey

it's a knock out and the sides are evenly matched. it would be a failure but it wouldn't mean everything is lost if we bow out tomorrow. we're still going to have a good team in 2015.
Yeah this, imo. Applies to Australia from my POV too. Not wanting to derail this match thread, but I genuinely don't understand why Australia are such firm favourites for Thursday. I don't see the difference between those two sides as being any greater than between SA and NZ.

Last edited:

morgieb

Shame that a loss will waste it :ph34r:

Zinzan

Yeah in terms of 'disappointment levels' & I just texted a SA mate the same thing, If NZ lost in that quarter to the Windies, I would have been well & truly gutted & would have struggled to live with it. If NZ lose tomorrow because SA were too good, I'll consider it a reasonable WC & will be able to live with it, even though I'll naturally be disappointed.

If we do happen to make the final and lose, I'll still consider the WC a great triumph for NZ.

And of course if we did manage to go all the way then it would simply be the greatest sporting moment of my life.

Zinzan

Yeah this, imo. Applies to Australia from my POV too. Not wanting to derail this match thread, but I genuinely don't understand why Australia are such firm favourites for Thursday. I don't see the difference between those two sides as being any greater than between SA and NZ.
Yeah you see, I do. I think Australia have a considerable edge over India, more so than the gap between SA & NZ (if there really is one at all atm considering NZ's home advantage ).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah in terms of 'disappointment levels' & I just texted a SA mate the same thing, If NZ lost in that quarter to the Windies, I would have been well & truly gutted & would have struggled to live with it. If NZ lose tomorrow because SA were too good, I'll consider it a reasonable WC & will be able to live with it, even though I'll naturally be disappointed.

If we do happen to make the final and lose, I'll still consider the WC a great triumph for NZ.

And of course if we did manage to go all the way then it would simply be the greatest sporting moment of my life.
Agree with this entirely. Same feelings. I actually think this should be the final because, despite losing two matches, I think RSA has the best, most rounded team, followed by NZ who have a lot of players who are yet to reach a point in their careers like AB, Amla and Steyn have already reached.

anil1405

International Captain
Didn't realise South Africa's batsmen took turns posting from anil1405's account.
That was just my *Waves dick around some more* reply to wellAbidarned.

Its obvious that NZ have a solid bowling attack and it would be foolish to say one can easily score big against this attack in a crucial game like this.

As a Proteas fan (who visibly are in extreme minority here) what riles me up (not just in CW forum but everywhere) is how NZ are being tipped as slight favourites but am pretty sure if Proteas end up losing (irrespective of the manner) the choke tunes would be coming out in numbers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think India are slightly weaker than the other three teams. Not the extent where I'd be really surprised if they won -- it's a one off ODI afterall -- but I definitely put them one level down.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That was just my *Waves dick around some more* reply to wellAbidarned.
Yeah I was taking the piss out of his post, not yours. :p

As a Proteas fan (who visibly are in extreme minority here) what riles me up (not just in CW forum but everywhere) is how NZ are being tipped as slight favourites but am pretty sure if Proteas end up losing (irrespective of the manner) the choke tunes would be coming out in numbers.
I definitely won't be calling it a choke regardless because I think the term has lost all useful meaning. I see you've encountered the growing "South Africa losing a cricket game" definition a fair bit.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Yeah, although palpably NZ aren't favourites, at least according to most bookmakers. Most I've seen have SA slightly ahead paying $1.80 to NZ's $2.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Even NZ tab, with patriotic money on NZ by punters still has SA as favourites.

But in saying that, personally I reckon that makes NZ good value.

I can't pick this one.

Shady Slim

International Coach
just out of curiousity here why is there such a large nz contingent compared to all other countries? it's surprising

vandem

International 12th Man
... As a Proteas fan (who visibly are in extreme minority here) what riles me up (not just in CW forum but everywhere) is how NZ are being tipped as slight favourites but am pretty sure if Proteas end up losing (irrespective of the manner) the choke tunes would be coming out in numbers.
NZ are not being tipped as slight favourites. SA are the favourites. Aussie's Centrebet has SA at 1.83, NZ at 2.00. England's William Hill has SA at 1.73, NZ at 2.10. (Ignore NZ's TAB, too much parochial money.)

Mike5181

International Captain
just out of curiousity here why is there such a large nz contingent compared to all other countries? it's surprising
I can't speak for anyone else, but until recently only a small portion of people I talk to actually care about cricket, and even less know what they're talking about.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I can't speak for anyone else, but until recently only a small portion of people I talk to actually care about cricket, and even less know what they're talking about.
I didn't meet another person who liked test cricket till I went to Uni.