• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your first live match

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
My 'Aussie Grandad' took me to The Oval in 1976 to watch the West Indian quicks bowl. When we walked into the ground I remember watching either Bob Woolmer or Dennis Amiss smacking a ball from Andy Roberts to the cover point fence. That was the first ball I ever saw in Test cricket, and I can still picture it.

5th Test: England v West Indies at The Oval, Aug 12-17, 1976 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
This was my first game as well.

Day 2 in my case.

Viv Richards 200 not out overnight.

Outfield like a desert, square not much 'greener'.

Extremely uncomfortable benches to sit on - and they were much more modern than some in other parts of the ground.

90% of the crowd (at least) West Indies fans.

As Greig led the England team out a number of spectators bellowed "Grovel Greig, Grovel" - and he went down on his knees.

Seem to recall a lot of sweep shots being played (England had six bowlers who could bowl spin in the team).

I remember a fan offering Bob Woolmer a drink from a can as he fielded on the boundary - Woolmer checked with his captain then took a swig.

One of the people I was with left his seat twice for a toilet break or to get a drink and missed the first two wickets of the day - and it was mid afternoon before the first one fell.

We left early to beat the rush which was a shame for me because I really wanted to see Holding's run up.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ashes at Lords 2005, but ended up not seeing a ball due to rain. Next one was Pakistan at Lords in 06.

mde203

Cricket Spectator
Somerset versus Leicestershire. Would have been sometime around 2001. We went up for the second day onwards and saw Devon Malcolm belting sixes over the bowlers heads as he made 50 batting at 11.

First international game was a Test at Egbaston against Sri Lanka (2002-ish?) where we bowled them out on the first day for 160 then Trescothick made about 160 himselfin England's first innings.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashes at Lords 2005, but ended up not seeing a ball due to rain.
Out of interest Cab how did you score tickets? Did you get lucky through the ballet system? I can still picture the queues around the ground every morning to get it into Lords that year.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your mum went to the first test match while she was pregnant with you??
I believe JB was in a pram at the time and that, understandably, his parents clearly didn't want him to witness the carnage that was Australia's second innings

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Auckland v West Indies 99-00 was the first match I remember going to. I was only 7 at the time but do recall how it was around the start of the Windies decline and how useless they were here and then in Australia afterwards.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Some time in the early 2000s I vaguely recall going to see the BCs getting wrecked by Shaoib at Eden Park. Didn't really understand cricket much at that point.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Some time in the early 2000s I vaguely recall going to see the BCs getting wrecked by Shaoib at Eden Park. Didn't really understand cricket much at that point.
I saw some footage of an early 2000s game where he had a ****ed hamstring and came in off 10 yards instead of 30 and he looked the better for it. Looked unplayable was that the game?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
First Test I attended: England v Pakistan 1987 at the Oval.
First county game was Sussex v Somerset at Hove - not sure when exactly but would have been the early 80s.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sydney Test of 74-75. But I can hardly remember a thing about it. Was only 5 years old.
Your memory is failing you at this remove of time, Burgey. The first Test wasn't until a couple of years later, in 1876/77.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Last edited:

Red rose bear

Cricket Spectator
I can't remember the first but it would have been a 40 over game at Old Trafford. The first I can definitely remember.....easy! The famous Gillette Cup semi Lancs v Glos in 1971....I was 11. At the end we were sitting on the grass just outside the boundary rope, the crowd booing Mike Procter for bowling short in near darkness....no floodlights in those days.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't remember the first but it would have been a 40 over game at Old Trafford. The first I can definitely remember.....easy! The famous Gillette Cup semi Lancs v Glos in 1971....I was 11. At the end we were sitting on the grass just outside the boundary rope, the crowd booing Mike Procter for bowling short in near darkness....no floodlights in those days.
Its a shame you didn't join a couple of weeks ago - I could have interviewed you for my piece about David Hughes