• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does cricket need a strong West Indies?

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Interestingly, each of the previous threads was started in a year where India were due to tour England. Once again, India are touring England in just a couple of months.

I look forward to this question being raised for the fourth time sometime in mid-2018, when India are next due to tour England.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does CricketWeb need a strong West Indies

So Langeveldt can get the answer he's after

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Pakistan is genetically predisposed to producing exciting cricketers, or Pakistan has produced some of the world's most exciting cricketers? or Both?
I was referring more to West Indies, but I suppose in Pakistan's case it is true as well, Pakistan has always had an abundance of pace talent, and you can't really teach pace.

Fair to say Pakistan is not genetically predisposed to producing freakish athletes :ph34r:

Exciting cricketers though, they certainly do.

But who needs exciting cricketers when you can product Misbah though. WAFG he is. He is worth more than 10 exciting but flawed cricketers you'd think.
I guess so but style is really emphasized in Pakistani cricketing culture, substance is often overlooked, sure it doesn't always make for a winning combination but it has enhanced crickets appeal. I suppose someone like Mgrath was more effective than Wasim, but not in a million years would Pakistani fans contemplate a swap.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah i thought I asked this before

Its been my only concern for a good few years now, and I come back every once in a while to see if the situation has changed

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The more competitive teams there are in Test cricket the better, so the sooner West Indies unearth a few top quality players again the better, but in the scheme of things I don't really think it would make much difference iwhich nations step up to the plate

It would have made a difference when I started watching the game, as "calypso cricket" was alive and well then, and no one from anywhere else would or could play the game like Garry Sobers, Rohan Kanhai or Clive Lloyd. In the same way Vishy, Gavaskar and the Holy Trinity could only be Indian, and Zaheer, Mushy and Asif Iqbal played like only Pakistanis could. You knew Procter, Graeme Pollock and Barry Richards were South African as soon as they opened their shoulders, rather than their mouths, and English and Australian players were totally different - even the Shaky Islanders had a gritty and tenacious style all of their own - these days everyone plays the same way - you only have to watch the IPL to know that and the standardised skill sets that the format has produced are just one reason why the game is poorer for T20

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
It's a shame whenever any team is out of form - especially as you've only got a handful of test playing nations to start with. When you watch cricket you want it to be a great match. Also, it is the nostalgia of the old greats and the flare they brought along.

the big bambino

International Captain
Hmm, crickets fairly major sport I'd have thought. Apart from soccer what other sports have universal following. I guess hockey does but it is a minor sport in practically every country its played. Basketball is popular but that hasn't stopped the Americans dominating. Neither is it the major sport in any other country except the States I'd guess. Rugby? Nah. Tennis? Mainly Euro, USA and Oz (once upon a time anyway). Cricket stacks up pretty well imo.

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
I wasn't suggesting that cricket isn't a major sport, but it's fairly unique in that only a small number of teams participate in a certain form of the game. Tennis and golf may only have a few countries participate, but each has many players - F1 likewise. Rugby obviously has a few countries that traditionally dominate, but I'd bet you'd see threads like "why does rugby need a strong new zealand" if that were to ever happen.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Question for Langevelt:

Why does rugby need a strong South Africa?
I don't think it does

I hear there will be a Super 18 next year, with new teams who will weaken the competition, some Argentinian and even a Zimbabwean or Kenyan side who would get walloped by most South African clubs

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it does

I hear there will be a Super 18 next year, with new teams who will weaken the competition, some Argentinian and even a Zimbabwean or Kenyan side who would get walloped by most South African clubs
there will be two South African conferences, one of which will include an Argentinian franchise.

Hopefully the Argentinian franchise will be able to recruit from their European playing pool. If they do manage that they would be a strong side, except they'll be destroyed anyway because they'll be on the road for pretty much the whole campaign.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it does
Really? I look forward to All Black-Springbok more than to any others. Whilst apartheid history is abhorrent, the rugby history is a wonderful thing, and for that reason I'd like South Africa to be strong at rugby.

Likewise, the history of what the West Indies have brought to the game over the years (admittedly less so post 2000) is also a wonderful thing. I'd love to see them returning to winning ways in test cricket (after losing to NZ in the upcoming series).

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, crickets fairly major sport I'd have thought. Apart from soccer what other sports have universal following. I guess hockey does but it is a minor sport in practically every country its played. Basketball is popular but that hasn't stopped the Americans dominating. Neither is it the major sport in any other country except the States I'd guess. Rugby? Nah. Tennis? Mainly Euro, USA and Oz (once upon a time anyway). Cricket stacks up pretty well imo.
F-1 and ATP Tennis would give cricket a run for universal following.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Isn't a "strong West Indies" the stuff of fiction? It's like talking about the "strong test career of Graeme Hick", isn't it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cricket needs a strong Every Country Which Plays It.
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts.

I don't think the West Indies have a special place, but international cricket is better with more good teams in it. If the West Indies tanked it and a team like Ireland or Nepal emerged in their place to forge a strong side I wouldn't see that as a net loss, but as they say at Old El Paso, "Why can't we have both?"

It should be easier to keep a team relatively strong than grow cricket in an entirely new area.