• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does cricket need a strong West Indies?

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Yea it's like everyone has forgotten the huge number of exceptionally mediocre players that played so many matches in the 90s. Guys like Sanjay Manjrekar, Keith Arthurton, Andrew Hudson, Pat Symcox, Tom Moody, Pramodya Wickramasinghe, Chris Lewis...

People are going to look back at the 2011 - 2020 decade and see this as one of the most exciting eras, with guys like Steyn, ABDV, Williamson, Kohli, Southee, Warner, coming of age and guys like Herath, Sanga, Misbah, MSD, Anderson, Chanderpaul all still going strong.
30 years from now, people will be a lot more interested in watching classical footage of Sachin, Wasim, Lara and Warne than they would be of dominant players today. Nostalgia it might be, but current crop of elite players do not compare to the legends from the 90s, Steyn is the only exception (and even he has been quite mediocre in this world cup on rather friendly wickets which you could never say about someone like Mcgrath or Ambrose). The quality of swing, spin and classical stylish stroke play (Sanga is on his way out too) has generally gone down.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
30 years from now, people will be a lot more interested in watching classical footage of Sachin, Wasim, Lara and Warne than they would be of dominant players today. Nostalgia it might be, but current crop of elite players do not compare to the legends from the 90s, Steyn is the only exception (and even he has been quite mediocre in this world cup on rather friendly wickets which you could never say about someone like Mcgrath or Ambrose). The quality of swing, spin and classical stylish stroke play has generally gone down.
Nah I call BS on this. Have you seen Amla or Rahane bat? And Southee, Boult, Mitch, Anderson, Herath, Vettori are all so good to watch. We've had glimpses of Aamir and Asif too.

Sanga, Mahela, Clarke, Kohli, Williamson, all easy on the eye too.

Flem274*

123/5
30 years from now, people will be a lot more interested in watching classical footage of Sachin, Wasim, Lara and Warne than they would be of dominant players today. Nostalgia it might be, but current crop of elite players do not compare to the legends from the 90s, Steyn is the only exception (and even he has been quite mediocre in this world cup on rather friendly wickets which you could never say about someone like Mcgrath or Ambrose). The quality of swing, spin and classical stylish stroke play (Sanga is on his way out too) has generally gone down.
:laugh:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Nah I call BS on this. Have you seen Amla or Rahane bat? And Southee, Boult, Mitch, Anderson, Herath, Vettori are all so good to watch. We've had glimpses of Aamir and Asif too.

Sanga, Mahela, Clarke, Kohli, Williamson, all easy on the eye too.
Sanga and Mahela are approaching 40, they are pretty much done with cricket.

Laxman > Clarke
Lara> Kohli
Saeed Anwar> Williamson

In terms of style anyway, and Amla is not easy on the eyes, he is very effective but not stylish.

Vettori and Herath? Really? Warne, Murali, Saqlain????

You could list 10 bowlers from the 90s that were better and more exciting than all the bowlers you mentioned.

Amir had potential, unfortunately he was suspended.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Anyway, my consolation to Windies fans is things can turn around really fast with the right people in the right places. If NZ can do it you lot can. A squad of 15 blokes who are passionate and the drive to become the best players in the world at their role can go far, and it's not like the West Indies don't have a track record of producing talented and passionate cricketers.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Here is a quick list of top 10 greatest and exciting cricketers from the 90s

Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kallis, Murali, Warne, Waqar, Wasim and Ambrose.

Look at the players I left out that make up the second XI:

Jayasuriya, Anwar, De Silva, Mohammad Yousuf, Azharuddin, Saqlain, Akhtar, Donald, Walsh, Mcgrath

Compare that to the greatest and the most exciting today:

Warner, Amla, Kohli, Sanga, AB, Smith, Harris, Herath, Johnson, Steyn

It's not even fair.

anil1405

International Captain
Sanga and Mahela are approaching 40, they are pretty much done with cricket.

Laxman > Clarke
Lara> Kohli
Saeed Anwar> Williamson

In terms of style anyway, and Amla is not easy on the eyes, he is very effective but not stylish.

Vettori and Herath? Really? Warne, Murali, Saqlain????

You could list 10 bowlers from the 90s that were better and more exciting than all the bowlers you mentioned.

Amir had potential, unfortunately he was suspended.
If Amla isn't easy on the eyes then neither are Laxman, Anwar, Mark Waugh, Azhar and co.

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its 2035. a young cricket fan is getting excited - the cricket world cup is being hosted in their home country, and they've got tickets!! They decide to watch some classic clips on youtube or however they will do it in 2035.

For World Cup finals - will they look for King Viv's 1979 knock, Aravinda's 1996 century, or Dhoni in 2011?
For bowling, will they check out Gary Gilmour in the 70s, Warne against the Proteas in '99, or Malinga's 4 in 4 balls in 2007?
For power hitting, will they look at Jayasuriya/Afridi in the 90s or de Villiers/Gayle now?
For "finishing" will they want to search up Dhoni or Bevan?
For NZ moments, will they go for Martin Crowe 1992 or BMac's 302?
For lethal Protea bowling, will they check out Donald/Pollock, or will they go for Steyn and co bowling teams out for 45?

There's plenty in the current era which will live on

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its 2035. a young cricket fan is getting excited - the cricket world cup is being hosted in their home country, and they've got tickets!! They decide to watch some classic clips on youtube or however they will do it in 2035.

For World Cup finals - will they look for King Viv's 1979 knock, Aravinda's 1996 century, or Dhoni in 2011?
For bowling, will they check out Gary Gilmour in the 70s, Warne against the Proteas in '99, or Malinga's 4 in 4 balls in 2007?
For power hitting, will they look at Jayasuriya/Afridi in the 90s or de Villiers/Gayle now?
For "finishing" will they want to search up Dhoni or Bevan?
For NZ moments, will they go for Martin Crowe 1992 or BMac's 302?
For lethal Protea bowling, will they check out Donald/Pollock, or will they go for Steyn and co bowling teams out for 45?

There's plenty in the current era which will live on
This fan will be my kid and it's going to be hosted in Singapore and Malaysia #RoadToWC2035

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Here is a quick list of top 10 greatest and exciting cricketers from the 90s

Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kallis, Murali, Warne, Waqar, Wasim and Ambrose.

Look at the players I left out that make up the second XI:

Jayasuriya, Anwar, De Silva, Mohammad Yousuf, Azharuddin, Saqlain, Akhtar, Donald, Walsh, Mcgrath

Compare that to the greatest and the most exciting today:

Warner, Amla, Kohli, Sanga, AB, Smith, Harris, Herath, Johnson, Steyn

It's not even fair.
Gilchrist started tests in 1999, lol. Warner, Kohli, AB are all very exciting batsmen, on par with Lara and Ponting. Sanga's 4 centuries in 4 consecutive WC matches. Boring af. Johnson and Steyn are both great to watch too. No, we don't have a spin bowler to compare with Warne/Murali but oh well. It is hard to compare against the two greatest spinners, who also happened to be the biggest spinners of the ball I've seen.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist started tests in 1999, lol. Warner, Kohli, AB are all very exciting batsmen, on par with Lara and Ponting. Sanga's 4 centuries in 4 consecutive WC matches. Boring af. Johnson and Steyn are both great to watch too. No, we don't have a spin bowler to compare with Warne/Murali but oh well. It is hard to compare against the two greatest spinners, who also happened to be the biggest spinners of the ball I've seen.
What does the part I bolded actually mean...is it an aussie expression...

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i'm sure there were old farts in the 90s telling us lara wasn't a patch on viv, curtly wasn't fit to lace holdings boots, sachin will never be the national hero that kapil dev is and that donald might be hostile but that the batsman of the 90s would be soiling themselves if they had to face true hostility from the likes of lillee and willis.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
i'm sure there were old farts in the 90s telling us lara wasn't a patch on viv, curtly wasn't fit to lace holdings boots, sachin will never be the national hero that kapil dev is and that donald might be hostile but that the batsman of the 90s would be soiling themselves if they had to face true hostility from the likes of lillee and willis.
And you would be wrong, it only took Lara's 277 and Tendulkar's century at Perth to confirm very early on that these two were headed for all time greatness. You are forgetting that the likes of Warne, Tendulkar and Lara were considered far bigger talents even in their teens than any current great. Again, there is no comparison. Warne is arguably the greatest spinner of all times. Lara broke the biggest record in test cricket as a batsman very early on, not to mention his insane run of form in county cricket. Tendulkar had the whole Indian nation on standstill when he batted. Wasim and Waqar were mesmerizing the world with reverse swing. Nothing of that magnitude in a positive direction has taken place in this era, other than batting friendly flat decks, shorter boundaries and unconventional stroke play.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think so - as an old fart I would take Lara over Viv, Curtley over Mikey and Sachin over Kapil - not sure about Donald over Lillee, would probably give Dennis the nod on that one, but with all due respect to 'Bustling Bob' he wasn't in the same league as Donald

Barry Richards greater than any of them though, obviously

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think so - as an old fart I would take Lara over Viv, Curtley over Mikey and Sachin over Kapil - not sure about Donald over Lillee, would probably give Dennis the nod on that one, but with all due respect to 'Bustling Bob' he wasn't in the same league as Donald

Barry Richards greater than any of them though, obviously
That's not his point though. He's saying there would've been people who would've scoffed at Lara and Tendulkar and Waugh in the early part of their careers saying they weren't fit to lace Viv/Border/Gavaskar's boots. And I'm pretty sure there were many facts who thought that. Sure, blokes like Tendulkar and Warne were pretty much unanimously regarded as great players barely 3-4 years into their careers, but there definitely would've been detractors.

It's a bit of a Nonsense argument anyway. Steyn, Johnson, Boult, Southee, Herath are all an absolute joy to watch and if watching guys like Warner, Clarke, Rahane, Kohli, ABdV, Amla, doesn't get mohammad's juices flowing, I'm going to say he's a tad biased. Lack of flair is hardly a criticism which can be levelled at current players. They've produced as high a level of quality test cricket over the last 5-6 years as anything I've ever seen. It's been great to watch and it still surprises me how few people are appreciating just how good test cricket has been to watch in this era.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's not his point though. He's saying there would've been people who would've scoffed at Lara and Tendulkar and Waugh in the early part of their careers saying they weren't fit to lace Viv/Border/Gavaskar's boots. And I'm pretty sure there were many facts who thought that. Sure, blokes like Tendulkar and Warne were pretty much unanimously regarded as great players barely 3-4 years into their careers, but there definitely would've been detractors.

It's a bit of a Nonsense argument anyway. Steyn, Johnson, Boult, Southee, Herath are all an absolute joy to watch and if watching guys like Warner, Clarke, Rahane, Kohli, ABdV, Amla, doesn't get mohammad's juices flowing, I'm going to say he's a tad biased. Lack of flair is hardly a criticism which can be levelled at current players. They've produced as high a level of quality test cricket over the last 5-6 years as anything I've ever seen. It's been great to watch and it still surprises me how few people are appreciating just how good test cricket has been to watch in this era.
I know, but as you should have realised by now I'm a bit of a troll where Barry Richards is concerned, and was just trying to provoke a reaction

But don't call me Dawood Fertang, please