• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should be England's third seamer?

Who should be England's third seamer?

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd say Bresnan, depending on how many games he plays between now and the start of the series. I remember that before the Melbourne Test, very few of the English themselves properly rated him (mainly based on OD cricket, to be fair) and I'd be worried that he might revert to that without the requisite work beforehand.

I think they'll give Broad first bite of the cherry, to be perfectly honest.

Jacknife

International Captain
His left arm kind of hoops rather than coming through straight (possibly not as pronounced as before but still there) and the arm does not come through towards the batsman.

What that means is that the body and the right arm has to auto correct. When you have done something thousands of time like Broad has bowled a cricket ball then the body gets pretty good at this autocorrection. When in rhythm and the ball is coming out well then it isnt a massive problem. When slightly off, this issue increases the tendancy to push, pull and drag the ball making it hard to get 2 balls in a row in the same spot let alone 6 in an over.

For someone else who had left arm issues-- see HARMISON, Steve
Yes he doesn't use his left arm, as a aiming arm, if you like , more just flicks it out to the left, instead of getting all his momentum going down the pitch. I wouldn't have thought, it would be a huge thing to correct that, or at least make him use it more, compared to something like, body position or where your feet land.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Finn.

His age doesn't matter. He averages 26, and frankly England should be striking while the iron is hot, for all you know he could lose this current form in county cricket and come back half the bowler he is now.

He bowls four balls yes, but I'm not at all convinced that this outweighs his wicket taking ability. When the Indians want to score runs, they'll score runs regardless but I fancy Finn to come good against them.

Its a close call between him and Bresnan, but since batting doesn't matter to me and Bresnan is coming back from injury I'd rather pick Finn.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hopefully the selectors give me an ODI run-out as a trial after the result of this poll

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't go for Bresnan given how long he's been out. I was disappointed he wasn't playing for Yorkshire in this match.

I reckon Broad was bowling well enough, so I'd keep him and have Onions and Finn as the backup.

Stapel

International Regular
The last session of the fourth day at Southampton convinced me England should stick with Broad. Having said so, I haven't seen any action on day 5.

If they are better options, I don't think Bresnan or Finn are much better options.

Generally, the English way to deal with cricketers, is that the audiance is begging for the axe to eagerly. This forum is no exception!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say Bresnan, depending on how many games he plays between now and the start of the series. I remember that before the Melbourne Test, very few of the English themselves properly rated him (mainly based on OD cricket, to be fair) and I'd be worried that he might revert to that without the requisite work beforehand.
It was a combination of a very average FC record, some atrocious ODI performances and aesthetics. He's actually got quite a bit of pace, but he has the look of a trundler.

FWIW I think he's a smidgeon more attacking an option than he generally gets credit for.

FBU

International Debutant
It was a combination of a very average FC record, some atrocious ODI performances and aesthetics. He's actually got quite a bit of pace, but he has the look of a trundler.

FWIW I think he's a smidgeon more attacking an option than he generally gets credit for.
But is it that extra pace that has been causing Bresnan's injuries? When a bowler has been bowling for a few years in county cricket, with so many matches, he usually usually cuts his pace. No one would last a whole season bowling 88-90mph. I think the same thing happened with Sidebottom. When we saw Bresnan in Australia he was bowling in the high 80s.

If Bresnan had been bowling quick in county cricket there would have been talk about 'another fast bowler found'. Bresnan had bowled over 1944 overs before getting a Test debut, Broad 949, Anderson 433 and Finn 809.

vcs

Haha, Rampaul has the exact same problem, hence people advocating for the selection of serial non-performers/scatterguns like Edwards over him.

Uppercut

Seem to remember you defending him hugely after/during his debut
Yeah, it was a little bit later than that.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan, I just thought the criticism was unjust. He was 24, he bowled 85-90mph, he swung it, he seamed it, he had good control and he could bat. He was far from the finished article, but instead of being seen as a bright prospect he was typecast as yer typical Yorkshire bits-and-pieces dobbler who would never cut it at test level. He was judged more on his face, his accent and his waistline than his cricketing merits.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, it was a little bit later than that.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan, I just thought the criticism was unjust. He was 24, he bowled 85-90mph, he swung it, he seamed it, he had good control and he could bat. He was far from the finished article, but instead of being seen as a bright prospect he was typecast as yer typical Yorkshire bits-and-pieces dobbler who would never cut it at test level. He was judged more on his face, his accent and his waistline than his cricketing merits.
Was amazed by the amount of hate on here myself.