• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best allround fielder ever?

Who is the best all-round fielder ever?

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Harper as good as they get, off his own bowling - no idea how good he was in other circumstances.

His less lengthy team mate Gus Logie was the best, I think, that I've seen at short leg.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harper as good as they get, off his own bowling - no idea how good he was in other circumstances.

His less lengthy team mate Gus Logie was the best, I think, that I've seen at short leg.
He was superb anywhere.

Big Bird was a great fielder in the gully.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He was. You've just been hearing too much of Bill Lawry's commentary when he's in there who says he's the best slipper of all time. He was solid, nothing more. Dropped a number of simple ones, including Damien Fleming's second hattrick delivery. Never did anything spectacular, mostly caught the ones he should have and occasionally dropped them.

Waugh and Taylor the two best I've seen. Strauss also getting a good reputation in there.
To be fair, don't get a huge amount of screamers at first slip, if it's wide of you then the keeper or second slip usually barge in front of you.

EDIT: agree with the general gist, though. Good, Test standard slipper is how I'd describe him.

Debris

International 12th Man
mediocre is stretching it too far tbh

‪Jonty Rhodes Amazing Catches Video Free Videos Online Video Clips, Video Movies, Live TV More at In com‬‏ - YouTube

the video quality is not that great but some of the fielding is
We will have to agree to disagree because that video does not impress me. I bet you could make something similar about almost any fielder who played the number of games he played. Mediocre was not meant as an insult, just that he was about average as a catcher.

Boonie

You can find hundreds of examples of something similar on YouTube. It is consistency that counts.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rhodes was probably the quickest fielder I've seen, he anticipated and moved to the ball better than anyone I think that I've seen. I don't think that he's the greatest all-round fielder I've seen.

If I had to pick one, then it would be Ponting. Slips, silly point, point, and you could argue that in the latter two he was one of the top three of his generation in that position.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Dont forget Punter had a rocket arm from the outfield for most of his career pre-captaincy too. He really has excelled in every position he has fielded in.

BlazeDragon

Banned
Ricky Ponting surpasses Jonty Rhodes in my view when you throw in all the catch run outs, catching, throwing in there.

If you exclude all those then Rhodes without a doubt.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
perhaps been mentioned before but an option for colin bland would nice.

bland
harper
sobers
rhodes
devilliers
ponting
randall
collingwood
lloyd

close in. solkar.
daylight.
sobers

Debris

International 12th Man
Ricky Ponting surpasses Jonty Rhodes in my view when you throw in all the catch run outs, catching, throwing in there.

If you exclude all those then Rhodes without a doubt.
Once you leave out catching, throwing and run-outs what areas of fielding are left?

Andre

International Regular
Really can't split M Waugh and Ponting from what I've seen of them. Waugh much better in the slips than Ponting but Punter would have hit the timber more often and slightly quicker in the outfield. Really very little separating them.

If I had to choose a bloke to catch for my life I'd go Waugh, but if I needed a run-out I'd go Punter. Almost a dead heat IMO.

Rhodes, Gibbs and Collingwood unreal as well. Guys like Chris Harris and Stephen Fleming were excellent too. Can't comment on much pre-1990, only ever see the highlights of those blokes.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Rhodes at a canter, took fielding to a different level, set the example that every other team has looked to follow; a professional approach to fielding.

Surprised Ponting's gotten so many, was certainly very good but not sure he had the acrobatic brilliance of some of the others, I rated Symonds ahead of him, possibly Michael Clarke too, Mike Hussey has to be up there. Dilshan should make the list, as should Colin Bland (the South Africans would always debate who was better between him and Rhodes) and Eknath Solkar (probably the best close in fielder ever, from wikipedia, "His 53 catches in only 27 matches is the best ratio of any non keeper with 20 or more Tests."). Have been mighty impressed with David Warner's fielding, always seems to make an impact in the field. I remember in the 90's there was a top kiwi fielder but I can't remember who it was.

Wouldn't class them with others by any means but Jayawardene, Dravid and Mark Waugh deserve honourable mentions, they've taken a crazy number of catches.

Rush

Banned
Rhodes at a canter, took fielding to a different level, set the example that every other team has looked to follow; a professional approach to fielding.

Surprised Ponting's gotten so many, was certainly very good but not sure he had the acrobatic brilliance of some of the others, I rated Symonds ahead of him, possibly Michael Clarke too, Mike Hussey has to be up there. Dilshan should make the list, as should Colin Bland (the South Africans would always debate who was better between him and Rhodes) and Eknath Solkar (probably the best close in fielder ever, from wikipedia, "His 53 catches in only 27 matches is the best ratio of any non keeper with 20 or more Tests."). Have been mighty impressed with David Warner's fielding, always seems to make an impact in the field. I remember in the 90's there was a top kiwi fielder but I can't remember who it was.

Wouldn't class them with others by any means but Jayawardene, Dravid and Mark Waugh deserve honourable mentions, they've taken a crazy number of catches.
That bald(ing) fella?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Just remembered, I was very impressed with Steve Smith. Lightning in the field, good hands, despite looking pretty unathletic and a bit chubby. Definitely potential there.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
perhaps been mentioned before but an option for colin bland would nice.

bland
harper
sobers
rhodes
devilliers
ponting
randall
collingwood
lloyd

close in. solkar.
daylight.
sobers
Once again, Collingwood over Mahanama is Meh. And there is no daylight between Solkar and Sobers and perhaps Tillekaratne. All were insanely good at short leg.