• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the 2nd best Australian cricketer ?

sunilz

International Regular
I am going for Glenn McGrath for being no.1 bowler in both Test and ODI for significant time.

3rd being Warne , 4th Gilchrist and 5th Miller.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As I remember, CW had a Battle of the Australians (ex-Bradman) a while back and the final ended up Miller vs Warne.

That was years ago, though, and given the prevailing opinions on here these days it wouldn't surprise me for McGrath make the final now and possibly win the whole thing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Warne IMO. I agree with you about who the top five are though, and it's very hard to split 2-5.

McGrath was a marginally better bowler but between Warne's catching and the added value you get from having an attacking spinner who doesn't necessarily need turners to be threatening and can bowl really long spells tips it for him.

Warne would've improved teams throughout history slightly more than McGrath IMO due to the prevalence of dire spinners.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think it depends on whether you're talking about best all around cricket talent or someone so supreme in one skill that it outweighs all else. Bradman is obviously a freak. For all around ability I would say Miller followed by Gilchrist (I say that as an oldie who values a proper keeper). Having a Test class keeper and batsman of that quality is unique. After that McGrath, Lillee or Warne from the bowlers. Smith from the batsman.

Jack1

International Debutant
I think it depends on whether you're talking about best all around cricket talent or someone so supreme in one skill that it outweighs all else. Bradman is obviously a freak. For all around ability I would say Miller followed by Gilchrist (I say that as an oldie who values a proper keeper). Having a Test class keeper and batsman of that quality is unique. After that McGrath, Lillee or Warne from the bowlers. Smith from the batsman.
You mention all round ability then clump the bowlers together. Different case to Warne for example who was a reasonable batsman and fielder for a bowler. Warne more of a leader too. Warne is more than a pure bowler and he's a leg spinner too.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist
Smith
Warne
McGrath

But given their different roles, the only one who I would consistently pick first of those is Gilchrist.

Teja.

Global Moderator
McGrath was a marginally better bowler but between Warne's catching and the added value you get from having an attacking spinner who doesn't necessarily need turners to be threatening and can bowl really long spells tips it for him.
I made basically this exact post recently.

The workload balance and flexibility that an all conditions ATG spinner gives to a bowling lineup is insane.

There’s also the factor that Warne/Murali had 14-15 years of effective longevity (even accounting for injuries and bans) each which is more than the effective decade you get with most fast bowlers.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I actually ran a battle of the Australians back in '07 I think. The top four according to CW were Keith Miller, Warne, McGrath, and Chappell (?). From memory, Warne and Miller were the finalists and I was needed for the tie breaker (which was controversial tstl :ph34r:) resulting in a Miller win.

Reckon it might not get that close now with Warne and McG retired for almost 15 years.