• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the 2nd best Australian cricketer ?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Except for Bradman he is the closest to a lock in an ATG XI.
That's just the nature of team composition. Im not sure that's a great argument to rank him over Mcgrath or Warne or Miller. In terms of actual value and output I wouldnt put him up there with them.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's just the nature of team composition. Im not sure that's a great argument to rank him over Mcgrath or Warne or Miller. In terms of actual value and output I wouldnt put him up there with them.
Surely getting a bloke who would probably be in the top 6 batsmen in the world right now and would be the best gloveman all in the same package is a pretty damn valuable cricketer.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely it's Warne if you try hard enough to ignore what a dick he was?

However, for me, it's Pat Cummins. He's dreamy

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely getting a bloke who would probably be in the top 6 batsmen in the world right now and would be the best gloveman all in the same package is a pretty damn valuable cricketer.
I wouldn't take him ahead of the best fast bowler/spinner/all rounder in the world which McGrath Warne and miller would be. Gilchrist was a great player who made that team virtually unbeatable but the value of someone like Warne for example who can bowl a massive chunk of your overs and, be miserly and threatening as long the game isn't against India, and have a 15 year career with 700 wickets is immense.
It just dwarfs Gilchrist's impact and value imo.

Slifer

International Captain
I remain reasonably shocked and appalled that people rate Smith above Ponting

Ponting was Smith (or better) for as long as Smith has been Smith and had a valuable career on either side of that

In addition to being a great fielder and iconic leader
That's because Smith has generally played against better attacks during his peak. And he's done well vs said attacks as well. During Ponting's peak NZ, India, and South Africa were decidedly weaker than the attacks Smith faced . England more or less even then, to what we have now. Smith hasn't faced WI lately but if he did, he also likely face an attack generally better than what Ponting faced during his peak.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't take him ahead of the best fast bowler/spinner/all rounder in the world which McGrath Warne and miller would be. Gilchrist was a great player who made that team virtually unbeatable but the value of someone like Warne for example who can bowl a massive chunk of your overs and, be miserly and threatening as long the game isn't against India, and have a 15 year career with 700 wickets is immense.
It just dwarfs Gilchrist's impact and value imo.
On value, sure, Warne should win this pretty comfortably. But in terms of simply being the best, I reckon Warne would have had to average somewhere north of 30 with the bat to compete. Gilchrist is the only player ever who has come close to being top draw in 2 primary disciplines, and while he should be downgraded a bit for longevity, it isnt by that much.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I remain reasonably shocked and appalled that people rate Smith above Ponting

Ponting was Smith (or better) for as long as Smith has been Smith and had a valuable career on either side of that

In addition to being a great fielder and iconic leader
Ponting also played in a far better batting era, in a far better team and against worse bowlers for most of his career.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Ponting was an absolute rock star for a very long period of time. As a fan of the opponent (India) never seen a cricketer who scared me more. Godlike.

Smith is a small weedy little fellow. I would hire him to be my gardener, or manservant.