• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the 2nd best Australian cricketer ?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha, yep I remember I actually voted Warne over Miller which would have given Warne the win but my vote was too late to count and so it went to the tiebreaker which Miller won!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It's always interesting how much lower Lillee gets rated on CW compared to anywhere else when ranking Australian cricketers.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the risk of sounding like a boomer, that is mostly the work of analysis by checklist revisionism. Even still, I think McGrath was a better bowler so there's that. Ray Lindwall is the most shafted ATG Australian I think. The greatest pacer ever at the time of his retirement and a handy bat.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is the thread everyone's talking about?

Gob

International Coach
I'm sorry sir Donald, I'm sorry big Merv but Warnie is your man. Some people say his poo is pure white with no smell what so ever and I believe it

Aritro

International Regular
I read a quarter of Gideon Haigh's plodding tome on Trumper, which was actually a book about cricket photography with some Trumper bits. Great writer, niche book - too niche to be enjoyable.

Anyway, he'd probably say Trumper.

Aritro

International Regular
At the risk of sounding like a boomer, that is mostly the work of analysis by checklist revisionism. Even still, I think McGrath was a better bowler so there's that. Ray Lindwall is the most shafted ATG Australian I think. The greatest pacer ever at the time of his retirement and a handy bat.
He's another one on my list of players who were much better documented and more revered when I started watching cricket in the 90s than they are now.

Gob

International Coach
Did he throw it though?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit surprised to see Gilchrist in a top 5. Terrific counter-attacking player, extremely good keeper and pioneer of the batsman/keeper philosophy but he really tailed off in the last three years of his career. That is just too big to ignore imo
Genuinely wholesome bloke (not a try hard like a few of his colleagues) and a shoe-in for top 10

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Ha, yep I remember I actually voted Warne over Miller which would have given Warne the win but my vote was too late to count and so it went to the tiebreaker which Miller won!
Haha yes, I thought I'd be lauded for my consistency in sticking to the hard 48 hour rule but instead it came off as biased and at best tone deaf.

Slifer

International Captain
Gilchrist. Gilchrist took Australia from being a great team to an ATG.

Regarding Warne vs McGrath. McGrath all day. A bowler's job is to take wickets and if at all possible: cheaply, quickly and all over the world (and especially vs the very best). McGrath did this all better than Warne and pretty much better than I daresay, most bowlers in history.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t get the obsession some people have with declines. People get older, it happens. It doesn’t alter how good a cricketer someone was. As long as they’re good enough for long enough that’s all I care about.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don’t get the obsession some people have with declines. People get older, it happens. It doesn’t alter how good a cricketer someone was. As long as they’re good enough for long enough that’s all I care about.
It depends on the declines. Most ATGs had a relatively minor dip at the end that didnt affect their overall standing. But then you have cricketers like Botham whose decline began basically half way in his career.

subshakerz

International Coach
Bit surprised to see Gilchrist in a top 5. Terrific counter-attacking player, extremely good keeper and pioneer of the batsman/keeper philosophy but he really tailed off in the last three years of his career. That is just too big to ignore imo
Genuinely wholesome bloke (not a try hard like a few of his colleagues) and a shoe-in for top 10
Except for Bradman he is the closest to a lock in an ATG XI.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
People often tend to completely ignore somwone tailing off in the latter part of their career, even over a far greater time period than Gilchrist. e.g Viv would be the best example I can think of off the top of my head.

ma1978

International 12th Man
I remain reasonably shocked and appalled that people rate Smith above Ponting

Ponting was Smith (or better) for as long as Smith has been Smith and had a valuable career on either side of that

In addition to being a great fielder and iconic leader

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Davidson easily the most under appreciated Australian great imo.