• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has been the worst ever best batsman in the world?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I guess I didn't learn from pasag's thread. This is an interesting question. Let's keep it post WW-I.

Let's see, since about 2002, it would be Ponting (though maybe someone else in the last year or two?). Before that Tendulkar, Lara or Waugh. There was a time though in between Tendulkar and Lara coming on to the scene, and Chappell, Gavaskar, Richards all retired, who was the best batsman around that time? He could have a shot.

bagapath

International Captain
I guess I didn't learn from pasag's thread. This is an interesting question. Let's keep it post WW-I.

Let's see, since about 2002, it would be Ponting (though maybe someone else in the last year or two?). Before that Tendulkar, Lara or Waugh. There was a time though in between Tendulkar and Lara coming on to the scene, and Chappell, Gavaskar, Richards all retired, who was the best batsman around that time? He could have a shot.
even when richards and gavaskar were around for some time vengsarkar was the best batsman in the world in around 87, 88

he would be a strong candidate

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Gooch for me, I'm afraid, Azharuddin, Salim Malik, Richardson, and Crowe would of been other contenders at the time, None all-timers I'd suggest.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My original thought on reading the thread title, but then I thought, if he's the worst-best-batsman-ever having played at the same time as Ponting and Tendulkar, really he was never the best batsman.

I just assumed he topped the rankings during his freak year but I'm not sure as I pay little attention to such things.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm i think you're right, but i don't think SS meant the worst technically-number-one batsman in the world.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
even when richards and gavaskar were around for some time vengsarkar was the best batsman in the world in around 87, 88

he would be a strong candidate
---
didnt vengsarkar have his brilliant 2yrs roundabout 86 till 88? had brilliant 100's at lords n leeds.real greentops, he gave a masterclass in how to play on seaming wickets.
Hundred against wi in ind also.
He'd get my vote for worst best.

Evermind

International Debutant
Agreed, perhaps though in the one day game he has been considered the worlds best at some time or another? Pre-Hussey?
I suppose, but the one-day game is such that there seems to be a new "world's best" every six months. The ODI game is far too fickle.

But I'd say Hussey is the best ATM, yeah. The guy might end up a freak like Bevan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pasag and SS should make it clear this isnt based on rankings but popular opinion.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't think it's that far-fetched to say Mo-Yo was ranked #1 during his period of awesomeness, he was just going that well.

I also don't know if you could genuinely say he was the worst-best ever, cos he's pretty good imo.....and he sort of never had a chance to come back down to earth properly, maybe if he'd been playing tests for the last 18 months or so with moderate results he would have.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pasag and SS should make it clear this isnt based on rankings but popular opinion.
I think people can choose by rankings if they want. That would be an interesting exercise too. Who is the worst overall batsman that has held the title of being the best batsman in the world via rankings at any point in their career.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think it's that far-fetched to say Mo-Yo was ranked #1 during his period of awesomeness, he was just going that well.

I also don't know if you could genuinely say he was the worst-best ever, cos he's pretty good imo.....and he sort of never had a chance to come back down to earth properly, maybe if he'd been playing tests for the last 18 months or so with moderate results he would have.
I would say he was better than Vengsarakar though. I'd put Yousuf in my all time XI over Vengsarkar.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I would say he was better than Vengsarakar though. I'd put Yousuf in my all time XI over Vengsarkar.
The strongest attack that Yousuf cashed in against in 2006 was Hoggard-Harmison-Panesar (no Flintoff, no Simon Jones), unless you count Pathan-Agarkar-Harbhajan as being better. In 2007, when he faced Ntini-Nel-Kallis (not even Steyn) and Zaheer-Munaf-Kumble-Harbhajan on just dead flat Indian wickets, his average fell from 100 to 40. (Ad when he faced Warne-McGrath, he was still Yohana, so it doesnt count).

Atleast when Vengsarkar was at his peak he played (and averaged 80+) against Imran, Walsh, John Lever, McDermott, Bruce Reid (ie more or less the best on offer in 85-88).

Though I fail to see how either of these can make any all time XI's, Vengsarkar might not even have a shot at an Indian all time XI.

Last edited: