• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has been the worst ever best batsman in the world?

sammy2

Banned
His penultimate test was in 1948 though, so he played just one test in the years after Bradman's retirement.

It's kinda funny how if he'd been around in any other era, he'd have attained an even more legendary status, but even his incredible ability and figures pale in comparison with the Don's FC average of 95.
Bradman is in a whole different world, and I think the more you play games the harder it becomes for your avg to fall significantly. I don't think any modern player will see their avg fall by 6 if they failed in a few games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More matches for the WI would have addressed this problem, but at least the post war matches got him past the 20 Test threshold that seems to be often used as a criteria for inclusion in serious lists of career stats etc. Reckon that seems to be the figure most commonly used from my very non-scientific overview of such things. Up to the commencement of WWII, he only had 19 tests.
Yeah, I've thought that too. :p Had he not played them, it's possible he'd be as much of a nobody to the greater crowd as is Bryan Valentine.

Personally I don't neccessarily like the unambiguous "20-Test" cut-off. I think a bit of flexibility when poor team schedules are taken into account is required.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, I've thought that too. :p Had he not played them, it's possible he'd be as much of a nobody to the greater crowd as is Bryan Valentine.

Personally I don't neccessarily like the unambiguous "20-Test" cut-off. I think a bit of flexibility when poor team schedules are taken into account is required.
Agreed, but if you're doing a basic list for the casual review, you have to pick a figure, and 20 matches often seems to be the number they go for.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not saying this with any wish to denigrate Headley's remarkable accomplishments, but is it accurate to say that the English teams sent to tour the WIs in that period were not full-strength teams?
Certainly at least one of them wasn't - the one of 1930. Not sure about the other one.

Headley's performances have always tended to suggest to me that had he played against full-strength England he'd still have done better than almost anyone, however. And it must be remembered that of times in those days, England vs England A would often have been at the very least a highly competetive game - and sometimes you'd have struggled to see which side was which. At least, maybe you would have but for Hammond.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, 20 Tests / 30 Innings / 1000 runs seem to be the most common cutoffs.

I like the 1000 runs purely because it gets that wonderful crazy bastard Sid Barnes a mention.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, 20 Tests / 30 Innings / 1000 runs seem to be the most common cutoffs.

I like the 1000 runs purely because it gets that wonderful crazy bastard Sid Barnes a mention.
I often make my own TBH, to get Barry Richards in there.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've just found an old newspaper cutting that I knew I had from 1975 when Fred Trueman (when asked about England's struggles in the 74/75 series) described Geoff Boycott as the best batsman in the World. Strangely though in the mid-80's when the pair fell out over Boycott being sacked, Trueman claimed he wasn't in the top 20 cricketers in Yorkshire's history.