• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is the best test team of all time?

Which is the greatest test side of all time?

• 1902 Australian Side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1921 Australian Side

• The Australian Sides of the 1930s and 1948-52

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • The England Sides of the 1950's

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1969/70 South African Side

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The 1974/75 Australian Side

• The West Indies Sides from 1975-95

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • The Australian Sides from 1990-2009

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • The England Side of 2009 - Present

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nowhowsthat

Cricket Spectator
In Wisden in 2002, David Frith asked the question as to whether the 2001 Australian side was the greatest test side of all time. He listed the following as contenders for the title with that side: the 1902, 1921, 1948, and 1975 Australian sides, the 1950's English side, the 1969/70 South African side, and the 1984 West Indian side.

So, how does the current England side compare with the aforementioned great teams in terms of the greatest test side of all time?

The attached link (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Articles/Retro_ICC_Rankings_rev2.pdf) contains the ICC rankings as applied retrospectively from the 1890's - 2003. Interesting, England was last ranked number 1 between 1978-80 under Mike Brearley, and prior to that during the early 1970's under Ray Illingworth.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At present we are way down the list. Come back and ask again in 5 years IF we are still the top side and have dominated in those years.

We are good, no doubt about that but lets not run before we can walk.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It must be us. If any of those other sides were better surely they'd be ranked number one?

smash84

The Tiger King
At present we are way down the list. Come back and ask again in 5 years IF we are still the top side and have dominated in those years.

We are good, no doubt about that but lets not run before we can walk.
Flibbertyjibber can make some decent posts at times :ph34r:......

but yeah completely agree with the above

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
This thread was made to include the present England side, wasn't it?:p

Just have gotten to number 1 right now and some are getting ahead of themselves already?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This thread was made to include the present England side, wasn't it?:p

Just have gotten to number 1 right now and some are getting ahead of themselves already?
Sorry mate, can't hear you from down in 3rd

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry mate, can't hear you from down in 3rd
Come back to me after we have played a few series at home or a couple of series more against Srilanka.:ph34r:

And the rankings haven't been published yet ending a more than 2 and a half year long reign:p

chasingthedon

International Regular
In Wisden in 2002, David Frith asked the question as to whether the 2001 Australian side was the greatest test side of all time. He listed the following as contenders for the title with that side: the 1902, 1921, 1948, and 1975 Australian sides, the 1950's English side, the 1969/70 South African side, and the 1984 West Indian side.

So, how does the current England side compare with the aforementioned great teams in terms of the greatest test side of all time?

The attached link (http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Articles/Retro_ICC_Rankings_rev2.pdf) contains the ICC rankings as applied retrospectively from the 1890's - 2003. Interesting, England was last ranked number 1 between 1978-80 under Mike Brearley, and prior to that during the early 1970's under Ray Illingworth.
Since I published this original article, I revised these rankings to reward dominance and away form - link. Much better IMHO.

Darth018

Banned
Feels like a spin-off of the Aus vs WI thread.

Since I didn't get to vote there I voted here. I was siding towards the Aus guys in that debate. I thought the WI guys were being biased.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Since I published this original article, I revised these rankings to reward dominance and away form - link. Much better IMHO.
The comments section at the bottom of this article gave me a shock just now, tbh. Why are those posts there? :laugh:

Anyway, only goes to further cement my credentials as cricket pundit. :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The timeline for the aussie side should be 1999-2008 (or 1997-2009 at best). 1990-1997 Australian team was not that special. Border's team was merely good, Taylor's team was very good and arguably the best team in the world, but Waugh's team reached Mt. Everest. Ponting's team kept one or two ladders above Mt. Everest (before the subsequent downfall).