• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When I Was Wrong!

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cullen & White still could go on and be decent spinners for Australia, they've still got the bulk of their career ahead of them.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Cullen & White still could go on and be decent spinners for Australia, they've still got the bulk of their career ahead of them.
Highly doubt White will go on to be anything more than a useful bowler for Australia, with his high arm action. Cullen could be a decent bowler buts its highly unlikely IMO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Cullen one doen't know but White isn't bad. He is a bit tall for a leg spinner which makes the trajectory a bit less enticing and the loop that much less devious. But he is promising. I wouldn't giveup on him. He needs to be handled with care. I think he should do well against South Africans, Newzealanders etc.

social

Cullen one doen't know but White isn't bad. He is a bit tall for a leg spinner which makes the trajectory a bit less enticing and the loop that much less devious. But he is promising. I wouldn't giveup on him. He needs to be handled with care. I think he should do well against South Africans, Newzealanders etc.
Height certainly hasnt harmed Kumble

I just think he needs to bowl a lot more at fc level so he can establish what works and what doesnt

duffer

Sorry guys, I should've pointed out that Alec and I are of roughly the same vintage (:wheelchai ) and my assessment of him was made from experiences in the nets and in matches before he was fully established in the Surrey lineup

To give him credit, he had a top shelf career and that was no less than he deserved as he worked as hard at his game as anyone I've met
Nice, always wanted the guy to do well. Seemed very likable for mine.

social

Let me try and remember :)

I thought Maninder Singh would be another Bishan Bedi after playing him many weeks in the nets when he was about 14 years old. He fell away after a fine start.

I thought Gursharan Singh would be a fabulous Test batsman after playing against him in Grade Cricket and then seeing him in Ranji Trophy. He played just one Test.

I thought L Sivaramakrishnan would go onto become one of India's most successful spinners of all time. He too fell away after a great start.

I thought Sanjay Manjrekar would go onto become as great a batsman as Sunil Gavaskar.
Maninder was definitely a major disappointment

Sivaramakrishnan was hailed as a potential great but by the time he arrived in Australia at the time of Steve Waugh's debut, his technique was all over the place. Richie Benaud performed an interesting analysis of his bowling during this series and explained how "easy" it would be to correct. Unfortunately, he never played again for India.

I used to enjoy watching Dilip Doshi play, as much for his comical attempts at batting and fielding as for his classical left arm action. Apparently, after being one of the quickest to 100 wickets, he had a fall out with Gavaskar which effectively ended his international career.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh yeah, another absolute stinker from me, thinking that Gambhir would not be able to transfer his T20 exploits into ODI cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
- Razzaq & Mahmood would have become really top-class all-rounders
Predictions involving Pakistani players are fraught with more danger than any others.

Who seriously didn't think Mohammad Asif would become one of the best bowlers we've seen for a long time?

And who didn't think on at least 4 occasions "Shoaib Akhtar might finally have turned the corner this time"?

social

Predictions involving Pakistani players are fraught with more danger than any others.

Who seriously didn't think Mohammad Asif would become one of the best bowlers we've seen for a long time?

And who didn't think on at least 4 occasions "Shoaib Akhtar might finally have turned the corner this time"?
No

and

No

Taking those correct predictions into account, I'm now registering .0000000000021 on the Predictometer

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a difference between never being wrong and not making predictions. You'd do well to learn it.
Not making predictions to me implies a fear of being wrong. Anyone can say "sure, Shaun Marsh might make a good ODI player for Australia, but it's too early to say." That's stating the obvious. Imagine if you were a selector.

"I implore that we do not actually know which of these bowlers should play test cricket. As none of them have played any yet, it's impossible to say which will become successful test cricketers and which wouldn't."

"So err, who should we pick?"

"One cannot say as of yet. In three years, when the bowler has been performing consistently at the highest level, i'll let you know whether he's any good or not."

"Thanks, that's a, err, valuable contribution. **** it, let's just do eeny meeny miny mo."

"...Darren Pattinson? Sure, he'll do. Whoever he is."

"Sorted. Let's go for a pint."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not making predictions to me implies a fear of being wrong. Anyone can say "sure, Shaun Marsh might make a good ODI player for Australia, but it's too early to say." That's stating the obvious. Imagine if you were a selector.

"I implore that we do not actually know which of these bowlers should play test cricket. As none of them have played any yet, it's impossible to say which will become successful test cricketers and which wouldn't."

"So err, who should we pick?"

"One cannot say as of yet. In three years, when the bowler has been performing consistently at the highest level, i'll let you know whether he's any good or not."

"Thanks, that's a, err, valuable contribution. **** it, let's just do eeny meeny miny mo."

"...Darren Pattinson? Sure, he'll do. Whoever he is."

"Sorted. Let's go for a pint."
Am I a selector? No.

As such, I can afford to reserve judgement on players in a way they can't.

Doesn't mean I don't think I (and quite a few others on this forum) wouldn't do a better job than most sets of selectors of my time though.

As for not making predictions implying a fear of being wrong - well, you could put it that way. I like to think of myself as very un-impulsive. I don't see there's anything to gain by making grandiose predictions really - so I don't. I only start making comments on players once there's a decent degree of certainty.

I think saying "it's fear of being wrong" attempts to put a negative on something because the "normal" negative (ie, making regular impulsive predictions and thus inevitably being wrong quite often) isn't there.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Am I a selector? No.

As such, I can afford to reserve judgement on players in a way they can't.

Doesn't mean I don't think I (and quite a few others on this forum) wouldn't do a better job than most sets of selectors of my time though.

As for not making predictions implying a fear of being wrong - well, you could put it that way. I like to think of myself as very un-impulsive. I don't see there's anything to gain by making grandiose predictions really - so I don't. I only start making comments on players once there's a decent degree of certainty.

I think saying "it's fear of being wrong" attempts to put a negative on something because the "normal" negative (ie, making regular impulsive predictions and thus inevitably being wrong quite often) isn't there.
It's a moot point that in hindsight looks more offensive than i meant it to be. But as long as you're prepared to change your mind, there's certainly not much virtue in reserving judgement for only when you can be certain of something, and IMO it's just less fun :p.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oho, it's far more fun for me I can tell you. :dry: Have enough people trying to jump on my every word without the slightest of cases to do so without giving people all these chances to do so with a genuine case.

And yes, I do change my mind on players, in almost all cases. Because the player who doesn't change at all through the course of a career is exceptionally rare.

Heck, sometimes I even change my mind on players whose careers were over before I started watching the game.

Uppercut

Oho, it's far more fun for me I can tell you. :dry: Have enough people trying to jump on my every word without the slightest of cases to do so without giving people all these chances to do so with a genuine case.

And yes, I do change my mind on players, in almost all cases. Because the player who doesn't change at all through the course of a career is exceptionally rare.

Heck, sometimes I even change my mind on players whose careers were over before I started watching the game.
I quite enjoy really going for a big prediction tbh. I completely went for why i thought SA would win in the summer, but it looks like i'm being found out on Oz to win in India. Regarding players, my neck's currently on the line regarding Mishra i'm sure you've noticed. At least so far he hasn't let me down.

fredfertang

Well, since 1934, anyway. I imagine a youthful fertang was pleasantly surprised that year. :ph34r:
:laugh:

I may be a tad older than most of you guys but in '34 was not even a twinkle in my father's eye - and even if I had been as he was a devout Hampshire man he had worries of his own until 1961