• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do Australians hate about Ganguly

Fiery

Banned
No real reason - just the whole package. Annoying bloke to look at, the constant blinking and the fact he comes off as an absolute prick.

I don't have to have any good reasons to dislike the guy outside of him having a face you'd like to hit. :)
haha. Fair enough

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No real reason - just the whole package. Annoying bloke to look at, the constant blinking and the fact he comes off as an absolute prick.

I don't have to have any good reasons to dislike the guy outside of him having a face you'd like to hit. :)
Ganguly is not the only one having these qualifications. But my problem is why Ganguly in particular?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I know Waugh and Ganguly don't particularly care for each other, but did he really say that? Cause that makes no sense to me.
Yeah, in his autobiography.

I saw Sourav as elitist, a bloke who made a few rules for himself in his exalted position and thought the world revolved around him. He was also constantly bickering over the nature of the pitches and trying to influence the groundsmen in India. To me, this wasn't too different from match fixing, because captains who try this on are attempting to alter the conditions in collusion with a force they shouldn't be tampering with.

- Steve Waugh in Out of My Comfort Zone (Pages 580-81)

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I like Ganguly as a captain a lot; arguably the best India has ever had and, to his credit went away and seems to have put in the hard yards to improve as a player when he lost it.

He does occasionally come across as someone who thinks his **** smells a little sweeter than the rest of ours, but I think this is at least partly due to his (what I understand to be) privileged upbringing and a slight shyness, which is easily mistaken for arrogance.

The popoular stereotype is that Aussies hate people who seem "up themselves" and I guess Ganguly can give off that impression at times. I'd never noticed it unduly before tho, I have to say. Interesting to read Waugh's comments.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

I saw Sourav as elitist, a bloke who made a few rules for himself in his exalted position and thought the world revolved around him. He was also constantly bickering over the nature of the pitches and trying to influence the groundsmen in India. To me, this wasn't too different from match fixing, because captains who try this on are attempting to alter the conditions in collusion with a force they shouldn't be tampering with.

Sounds like sour grapes for mine. Waugh found someone who could match him, if not better him, as captain and he didn't like it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To me, this wasn't too different from match fixing, because captains who try this on are attempting to alter the conditions in collusion with a force they shouldn't be tampering with.
His comments about Ganguly's personality are his opinion, but the comparison to match fixing is totally hilarious and OTT. Sour grapes I suppose, since he never won in India (something which he really wanted).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love Ganguly. Love his mental toughness and I thought he was a great captain for India. His century at the 'Gabba last time India were here was excellent, and one innings I will always remember for the rest of my life.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

The first time I read that when reading Steve Waugh's autobiography I had to re-read it like 3 times. I could not believe he said that.

Its very well known that Ganguly and Steve Waugh don't like each other, but that comment is just stupid.

Anyway there's no doubting that Ganguly is arrogant, and there's sometimes little things he does which are annoying. Like he often doesn't wait for the batsman on the other end to walk off with him during a break and especially at the end of the day. 2nd test vs. Pak when Jaffer had batted all day, and when offered the light Sourav just tucked his bat under his arm and walked off. Its little things I know, but it can be a bit :dry: That beind said, its obviously a product of his up-bringing.

As a captain I have complete respect for him. I LOLed when I heard the stories about how he'd deliberately rock up to the coin toss with Steve Waugh late, just to unsettle him. And what's even more amazing has been his come-back. Brilliant, what a cricketer.

Not many IMO could have came back from what he went through. Mental toughness ftw.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't get the "can dish it out but can't take it." thing. Am I supposed to like people who are outwardly critical of me? Does that mean I can "take it"?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't get the "can dish it out but can't take it." thing. Am I supposed to like people who are outwardly critical of me? Does that mean I can "take it"?
If you are acting in a certain way, you should be man enough to accept sportingly if some one else does the same to you. It is like, if I have *** with the whole town, I am a stud but if you do the same, I start crying and calling you a whore.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
That's the worst analogy I've ever seen.

Anyway, so you're saying I'm supposed to like people who don't like me? Come here Fiery, you raggamuffin, you. I can "take it".

btw, Partyush, you're full of ****.

Fiery

Banned

Anyway, so you're saying I'm supposed to like people who don't like me? Come here Fiery, you raggamuffin, you. I can "take it".

btw, Partyush, you're full of ****.
But I like you....honest.

OK back to the gameplan. Ya stupid Aussie!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Anyway, so you're saying I'm supposed to like people who don't like me?
It is a solid analogy. :p

Analogy aside, no you are not supposed to like people who don't like you. However, you should be mature enough to accept that given the stuff which you dish out, another person might do the same to you. After that, you shouldn't start crying foul. It becomes a pot calling kettle scenario.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Analogy aside, no you are not supposed to like people who don't like you. However, you should be mature enough to accept that given the stuff which you dish out, another person might do the same to you. After that, you shouldn't start crying foul. It becomes a pot calling kettle scenario.
Yeah okay fair enough. I don't think there's that much of that going on in Australia though. People just don't like him because of the way he seems very arrogant. If you're extremely arrogant you'll be generally disliked in Australia.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah okay fair enough. I don't think there's that much of that going on in Australia though. People just don't like him because of the way he seems very arrogant. If you're extremely arrogant you'll be generally disliked in Australia.
Aussie players have the same reputation everywhere else. :)

burr

State Vice-Captain
Aussie players have the same reputation everywhere else. :)
I don't really believe in this whole all Australian cricketers are so arrogant thing. I think they get a bad wrap myself. I'm sure there are some generally arrogant, unlikeable ones but on the whole I have to say the current team seems to be made up of thoroughly nice blokes: Hussey, Gilchrist, Clarke etc. Now if they're arrogant on the cricket field - and they don't seem unduly so - then they have every right to be, and as long as it doesn't descend into nastiness, the opposition has no right to complain, and vice versa. I think Steve Waugh found Ganguly unlikeable as a person - and I can see that - I'm not too sure I'd particularly like Ganguly if I met him. But as a cricketer he's fun, and I enjoy his rather pompous display.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

It hurts Waugh's credibility big time and I, for one, have stopped taking his comments on Indian cricket seriously.

As far as Match Fixing is concerned, obviously Steve Waugh will know better, having a match fixer in the house definitely helps.

archie mac

International Coach
It hurts Waugh's credibility big time and I, for one, have stopped taking his comments on Indian cricket seriously.

As far as Match Fixing is concerned, obviously Steve Waugh will know better, having a match fixer in the house definitely helps.
So all of Bundy's family should understand how to kill and torture people?8-)