• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do Australians hate about Ganguly

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
As another Australis Vs India series approaches and another thread has shown us down here in Aus Ganguly is not very popular.

I thought it would be interesting to see why people thought Australians did not like him or from my fellow Australians why they don’t like him.

I know he rubbed a few people up the wrong way last tour but he is not paid to make the opposition happy but to make his own team competitive. For this he lead a competitive side out here and became unpopular and I for one am not entirely sure why he is so hated in Aus.

Craig

World Traveller
I like him and I like to see players take no crap from nobody. I mean if he played for Australia and acted that way he would get the exact same treatment from other fans.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
What a joke of a thread this. He is one of the best players around. If anything a lot of aussies like him for his agressive manner. Loves his cricket and goes about his business in positive fashion which is quite customed(sp?) to many other aussie cricketers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
According to Steve Waugh, he is a match fixer as he influenced the curators in making the pitches he wanted at home.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ganguly created a huge furor back in the day. A fair few Aussies hated him with a passion or at least it seemed that way. I found it very funny to be honest. Classic case of all being fine when you dish it out but not being able to take it when some one else gives it back to you. Similar thing happened with Sreesanth. So many Aussies cried foul against Sreesanth. He acts like a fool at times but the extreme reactions he got from Australians was itstl. Australian players went as far as to say that the Indians do not know the meaning of real sporting aggression and they should can the exterior aggression they were showing in the games (some thing on those lines). Heh.

Last edited:

TheLad

School Boy/Girl Captain
What a joke of a thread this. He is one of the best players around. If anything a lot of aussies like him for his agressive manner. Loves his cricket and goes about his business in positive fashion which is quite customed(sp?) to many other aussie cricketers.
Trust me. There are a number of people, at least in Melbourne, who dont like him at all,

it may have something to do with his run in's with Steve Wagh. If you go and have a look, as I know you have, at the Ganguly 100 test thread you will see some comments from Australians stating their dislike for him. I don’t dislike, I think he is a very good cricketer, I am just trying to see what other people don’t like about him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
According to Steve Waugh, he is a match fixer as he influenced the curators in making the pitches he wanted at home.
I know Waugh and Ganguly don't particularly care for each other, but did he really say that? Cause that makes no sense to me.

burr

State Vice-Captain
I have a soft spot for Ganguly. He's quite a cutie with those funny little glasses and aristocratic manner :happy: I read somewhere the other day Greg Chappel thought he deliberately played with the batting order and once retired hurt to avoid the new ball :-O Surely that can't be true. As for things I don't like...I don't like it when other's suggest he's a better off-side player than my favourite, or a better player full stop actually :tongue:

Fiery

Banned
Acted very aloof on his tours here. The blinking is a bit annoying too :dry:

alternative is going to kill me :ph34r:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I have a soft spot for Ganguly. He's quite a cutie with those funny little glasses and aristocratic manner :happy: I read somewhere the other day Greg Chappel thought he deliberately played with the batting order and once retired hurt to avoid the new ball :-O Surely that can't be true. As for things I don't like...I don't like it when other's suggest he's a better off-side player than my favourite, or a better player full stop actually :tongue:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aussies don't like his "don't care" attitude of the opposition. He some times act as a prick, but that is common to most of the cricketers. Truely he's carrying forwards the legacy of Arjuna Ranatunga, "return back what they give you"

Fiery

Banned
Aussies don't like his "don't care" attitude of the opposition. He some times act as a prick, but that is common to most of the cricketers. Truely he's carrying forwards the legacy of Arjuna Ranatunga, "return back what they give you"
Except if you are Sreesanth

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know Waugh and Ganguly don't particularly care for each other, but did he really say that? Cause that makes no sense to me.
It makes no sense full-stop. Influencing the curators to make the pitches you want (because they're best for your team) is not match-fixing, it's called "home advantage".

Something some Australians don't seem to like.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
No real reason - just the whole package. Annoying bloke to look at, the constant blinking and the fact he comes off as an absolute prick.

I don't have to have any good reasons to dislike the guy outside of him having a face you'd like to hit. :)