• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Can't believe this is actually true :( A truly great cricketer and from what I can gather an absolute champion bloke. A huge loss to not only the cricketing world, but the world in general. RIP Phillip Hughes.

Thoughts go out to Sean Abbott too, must be a truly horrible moment in time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm much the same, it still doesn't feel real. I keep thinking that I'll check Cricinfo next week and he'll be 80* in a Shield game again. I mean, he was 25 ffs. 25.
It really seems so arbitrary and unjust.

It's like reality hasn't got the narrative arc of his life right; the young fella should've risen from his hospital bed, be recalled to the test side and go on to an Ashes winning ton. :(

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
I still remember how we discussed him in 2009, my first year of playing cricket. His performance in SA came out of the blue, and my english captain was complaining about the fact that Middlesex signed him up for the CC. I still remember this exchange between us:

"We're getting him used to english conditions before the ashes, how dumb could that be?"
"Well, that may be a way to scout him for weaknesses..."
"But he might have none!"

That's how high the hype was for him at the time. It was the first batsman that looked as a potential superstar that I followed from the beginning of his career, and from that point on I never stopped following his performances, despite the many unexpected lows in the years afterwards. There were issues against the short ball first, then against spin. But the lad never stopped trying to overcome whatever he found in his way; and I have the feeling that, sooner or later, he would have eventually fulfilled everything that his first series against SA promised. He was not a quitter, that's for sure.

Rest in Peace Phillip.

And Sean Abbott... stay strong mate. We can't possibly know how are you feeling right now, but I think that everyone in the cricket community will be close to you. Our thoughts are with you.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Was sitting in the office cafeteria when the news broke on TV. Heart had a little sonic boom like feeling for a moment. Dealing with some of own emotional **** at the moment and began tearing up. Walked into the toilet stall and let it all out. Guy was barely a year older than me. **** like this shouldn't hit this hard. Can't imagine what his family is going through atm. Not sure I can think of a phrase to suit the situation.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Tragic news for such a gifted player and an immensely likeable person. Thoughts are with his family and the wider cricketing community.

bagapath

International Captain
what a tragedy! i can't imagine the pain his family must be undergoing. my heartfelt condolences to them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It really seems so arbitrary and unjust.

It's like reality hasn't got the narrative arc of his life right; the young fella should've risen from his hospital bed, be recalled to the test side and go on to an Ashes winning ton. :(
Yeah, that's the thing that adds to it.

If you look at his First Class record he was obviously phenomenally talented; we were all just waiting for him to just finally crack international cricket once and for all.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
he was younger than me, that's what really jolted me. taken so young. tragic.

he represented the county i support with great distinction for a short time. always hoped he'd return and take over from bucky.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Spare a thought for Sean Abbott too.

So much tragedy in this episode :(

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, I can't imagine what Sean Abbott must be going through either. The next few months will be a nightmare for him. Poor chap will, most likely, be scarred for life. Feel so bad for him too :(

And Phil Hughes :(

burr

State Vice-Captain
Hughes had the aura of a Hayden or Langer. He struggled to cement his place in the Australian side but I can imagine in 10 years time he'd have played 100+ tests and scored many hundreds. That won't happen of course. And if he played no more tests and scored no more hundreds this wouldn't be less tragic. Certainly not to his loved ones. We all think 'how sad' and then move on with our lives. His family, very close friends and Sean Abbott will be shattered and will never move on. I sincerely hope they somehow find a way to cope and remember fondly the man they loved, the cricketer he was and the promise of the great he may very likely have become.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This is only a suggestion but I don't reckon we need photos of players in grief, particularly Abbott.

The media'll provide them if you want them, but I personally think the less the better for the actual people involved. If I was one of those players I'd rather the pics not be posted in forums. They would've been taken by paparazzi anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This has hit me a lot harder than I ever would have predicted had I known it was coming. I know what I am as a fan, an annoying, one-eyed biased dick who watches through rose tinted glasses and wants a win and nothing but. But today has taught me about myself, that neutralise it all, for how much I think an Ashes win might have given me highs I needed at times in life, the blokes are people, human beings, be they my team, your team any team.

Any young loss is terrible, heartbreaking. As a cricket lover this hits hard. I mourn Phil Hughes and long for him to be out there, making me want him to fail because he's an Aussie. Me wanting that bravado and to still convince myself it's real because that would mean this hasn't happened.

It's just a game but one we all love. It's just ****ed up. Rest in peace Prince. Thank you for the panic you gave me in early 2009 when you couldn't stop scoring, or when you put on nigh on two hundred with a number eleven. Because these things are every bit as important in why I love being a supporter as the guys I cheer on.

I'm sorry for rambling. I'm just surprised almost today about how sad I am. RIP

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Terrible news and a sad loss of a fine player. Condolences to his family, friends and team-mates. Hope the unfortunate bowler finds the strength to continue his career.