• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umar accuses Anderson of ball tampering

Jacknife

International Captain
Actually the source i quoted is an Indian Channel,so there goes the victim mentality news channel bit.It's not a quote from a Pakistani source.

Like i said,you're getting into technicalities.Vettori accused Gul of ball tampering.And nothing was found of it.That was the end of the matter.

Whether he spoke to the media or the match referee first is not the important.What's important is that he did make the accusation,and didn't just inquire with the match referee matter of factly.You're the first person i've come across who says that Vettori didn't 'accuse' anyone.

Also,if he has every right to suspect foul play because Gul swinged the ball so much,then maybe every other ball tampering allegation made the world over gives the accuser the right to suspect the bowler too.Why are we having a go at Gul then?
Because at least in Vettori's case he made issue of it at the time, Gul can't even get the place of the so called incident involving Broad correct, where he stopped the ball with the bottom of his foot which was in SA 2 years ago and that was dealt with there and then by the match refs. Now he says Anderson was messing with the ball in the series last year in England, if you say stuff like that, that he actually saw it with his own eyes, don't say it as a passing comment a year down the line because he knows what reaction it will get, say it at the time, report it or keep his gob shut.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Oh yes, let's gloss over any wrong statement or action made by a Pakistani. Because obviously being "loyal" means that you must never utter a bad word against your players and defend them even when they commit the indefensible. 8-) Grow up.
Oh yes.Let's gloss over any statement or action made on a Pakistani. Because obviously being "rational" means that you should must always utter a bad word against your players and be the first ones to strip them down because they always commit the indefensible.How dare Gul accuse a player of ball tampering,how dare Shoaib Akhtar say he felt Tendulkar was scared of him in one series but acknowledge his greatness nevertheless 8-) Grow Up.
Lol. If it makes you feel better to be a YouTube style fan boy who thinks his team's "honor" must be defended at all cost no matter what, then be my guest. Go ahead and wave your pom-poms at every opportunity to build up a false sense of pride. I guess I'm mature enough to realize that patriotism doesn't mean "no criticism EVER". Like I said before, I hope you grow up soon.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh yes.Let's gloss over any statement or action made on a Pakistani. Because obviously being "rational" means that you should must always utter a bad word against your players and be the first ones to strip them down because they always commit the indefensible.How dare Gul accuse a player of ball tampering,how dare Shoaib Akhtar say he felt Tendulkar was scared of him in one series but acknowledge his greatness nevertheless 8-) Grow Up.
You'll be great fun this winter. 8-)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuinely amused at the desperate triumphalism with which some people here leap to convict, without a shred of evidence, an England player of ball tampering.

I wonder what Gul actually thinks he saw. He says he saw Anderson do it. Presumably either from the dressing room, or on TV, or during the limited time that Gul was batting. So how come no-one else seems to have seen it?

Yet a throwaway comment from him, over a year after the event, gets seized upon as incontrovertible proof that the English are guilty. I wonder if the likes of r3alist would be so quick to judge players from their own teams guilty. Somehow I doubt it.

Hardly surprised to see Gul recanting sharpish before the libel claim came flying in.

BlazeDragon

Banned
Just gotta love the controversial discussion shift from the England/India series.

Back then it was about Indian way of doing things and UDRS, and now its about Pakistani way of doing things and cheating.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Genuinely amused at the desperate triumphalism with which some people here leap to convict, without a shred of evidence, an England player of ball tampering.

I wonder what Gul actually thinks he saw. He says he saw Anderson do it. Presumably either from the dressing room, or on TV, or during the limited time that Gul was batting. So how come no-one else seems to have seen it?

Yet a throwaway comment from him, over a year after the event, gets seized upon as incontrovertible proof that the English are guilty. I wonder if the likes of r3alist would be so quick to judge players from their own teams guilty. Somehow I doubt it.

Hardly surprised to see Gul recanting sharpish before the libel claim came flying in.
Oh you could just imagine it, someone like Broad standing infront of the media and making similar claims about what he saw last year and on the telly.:laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
[READ PLEASE]
“Having seen the video of my comments, I can see how my comments may have been misconstrued with respect to ball tampering.”

Gul added “Talking to the media after the semi final of Faysal Bank Twenty20 tournament being played at National Stadium Karachi, I was asked to respond generally to Shoaib Akhtar's recently made statement on ball tampering. I clarified that the term ball tampering is often misused.”

Gul further added in the statement “I was explaining that the ball gets scratched when it is thrown against the rough surface or hits the advertisement boards along the boundary rope. In this manner, I said, every bowler can be accused of doing it.”

Gul also confirmed his belief that, despite calls from numerous former cricketers, ball tampering should never be legalised through formal incorporation into the Laws of Cricket “I further stated that ball-tempering should not be legalised as swinging the ball in reverse is an art and cannot be done only by tampering with the ball. This art should be respected I said. The names I mentioned were in the same context and at no point did I try to accuse any individual bowler of ball tampering.”
So, basically, Umar Gul said "Anderson is very good at reverse swinging the ball, and he is part of a team that regularly throw the ball on the bounce to get the ball into a condition where reverse-swing is attainable".

Newsworthiness of that story: 0/10. No wonder people were in a hurry to misconstrue it: it's at least a week since the last JAMODI...

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
One thing I have to say about Gul is that he is unlike that of any fast Pakistani bowler. He is honest and has never been involved in any controversy. So I wouldn't treat him the same as Shoaib or the rest. He happened to mention two English players (he isn't the sharpest tool in the box) and was only responding to a question. Why is everyone getting worked up over it. Now I understand why there was so much anger and frustration amongst people here during the India and England series.

Howe_zat

Audio File
One thing I have to say about Gul is that he is unlike that of any fast Pakistani bowler. He is honest and has never been involved in any controversy. So I wouldn't treat him the same as Shoaib or the rest. He happened to mention two English players (he isn't the sharpest tool in the box) and was only responding to a question. Why is everyone getting worked up over it. Now I understand why there was so much anger and frustration amongst people here during the India and England series.
...erm, what?

Oval 2006 ring a bell?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ask Darrel hair, evidence is not important.
Firstly there were 2 umpires who made that call, yet for some reason you ignore Doctrove?

Secondly, the big problem in that instance is that Hair probably did have the evidence in his eyes but the key thing is that half of the evidence is lost when the incident actually happened.

Spark

Global Moderator
Surprised and amazed at the attacks on Xuhaib in this thread. Last I heard very few people here, if anyone, know as much about Pakistani as he does.

Xuhaib

International Coach
oh dear me you risk being called unpatriotic just because you call out on a player whose labeling accusations against his fellow professional without any factual evidence.

If Gul had any other motives even then its foolish Pakistan should be the last team to play mind games as they mentally disintegrate faster then others their best cricket comes when its instinctive back to the wall.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably does it when there's a lot of cloud cover and there's little light for the cameras to catch him in the act.
Yes. And uses Murray Mints on the ball. Been saying it for years.

Gul has just confirmed it for everyone else.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I am not sure what is the surprise/Issue here. Many past bowlers have admitted to tampering with the ball and so did Shoaib in his book.

Gul was asked how with in the past charges being made against Pakistan of ball tampering, how will this impact Pakistan Cricket and the suspicions against their bowlers.To this affect he said -

"Quite a few bowlers are still doing it – during our series against England last year I saw [James] Anderson was doing it. Against Australia, when they [England] won the Ashes, everyone saw Broad use his shoe to scratch the ball. Every bowler does it. In my opinion, Shoaib bhai may also have done it – of course if he says so then he would have done it, but there are many methods of ball tampering. One is the illegal method, where it's done with the nail or something else, that's illegal. Nowadays, however many players throw the ball from the boundary onto the squares which are dry, the ball can be scratched by this, and in my opinion this has been made legal."

Now it is quite a widly held view that most bowlers do slight tampering with the ball to suit them(Which the likes of Akram,Srinath,Holding etc... have all said too) and that is what he is trying to say with this. That it is not just the Pakistani's and Shoaib, but also the rest who do it and he has given some examples to that respect of Broad and Anderson. Probably, could have done without mentioning names of his upcoming opponent, as the media has picked that part up and made it as if he was making a direct charge against Anderson that he was doing something extraordinary.

Also having said that most bowlers say 50% and more atleast do it, why is it hard to believe that he actually saw Anderson doing some slight tampering too, I cannot understand. Specially, as the implication of him saying that all bowlers do it includes himself. And considering the fact, that in the past Anderson has been caught on video, doing slight tampering with the ball and got away with it without even a warning.-

Anderson - Ball Tampering? - YouTube

It isn't that major a deal unless as he said it is done with external things and Nails, though with laws in affect even slight tampering may be illegal if you get caught on camera.

In short, everybody should blame the BCCI for it and move on.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't get this argument "I don't think ball tampering is bad". It's the rules. Like saying you'll give LBWs out when a bloke is struck outside off playing a shot, because you don't like that rule.

Everyone might think you should be able to tamper with the ball, but the fact is you can't.