• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Was a decent player - certainly better than Mark Carter and on a par with Liam Barry but nowhere near the class of Michael Jones, Paul Henderson and Josh Kronfeld. Amazing depth.
Duane never got to play at the highest level and as such didn't reach his potential. He could have been as good as Paul Henderson with more effort invested in him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well I was looking for Daemons thread "Cricket that doesn't deserve its own thread" couldn't find it so this will have to do.

Random comments that jumped into my head today while driving to the supermarket and buying a pre-cooked half chicken:

1) Khawaja may destroy us in the trans tasman tests coming up in New Zealand. Normally you would back trent boult to take care of him cheaply but Trent has been bowling naff so we could be in trouble. Southee's specialty is right handers and neither Wagner or Bracewelll have specialties.

2) I want to have a rant about something. Don't question the logic too much it is more an emotional statement.
T20 is to be scrapped and replaced by T10. Today New Zealand batted 8.2 overs and scored 118. It was highly entertaining slogging. T20 is too defensive for my liking. Batsman take 6-7 balls to get their eye in. Why?
One of my favourite games was New Zealand vs Scotland in a 7 over match. It was absolute mayhem from ball one. I wouldn't want to play in a T10 as the game would only last 2 hours. But it will be ideal to watch.

I was watching some rank left arm spinner bowl in the big bash, and he bowled 4 overs for 16 runs. Why. Why bat defensively against spin in T20. Who cares if you get out there is another guy coming in after you anyway. But that is what people do, somehow they don't believe they are allowed to have a tonk until the 18th over. In T10 there would be no excuse for conservative grandmother batting.

T10 is the future. Get on board the train.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Well I was looking for Daemons thread "Cricket that doesn't deserve its own thread" couldn't find it so this will have to do.

Random comments that jumped into my head today while driving to the supermarket and buying a pre-cooked half chicken:

1) Khawaja may destroy us in the trans tasman tests coming up in New Zealand. Normally you would back trent boult to take care of him cheaply but Trent has been bowling naff so we could be in trouble. Southee's specialty is right handers and neither Wagner or Bracewelll have specialties.

2) I want to have a rant about something. Don't question the logic too much it is more an emotional statement.
T20 is to be scrapped and replaced by T10. Today New Zealand batted 8.2 overs and scored 118. It was highly entertaining slogging. T20 is too defensive for my liking. Batsman take 6-7 balls to get their eye in. Why?
One of my favourite games was New Zealand vs Scotland in a 7 over match. It was absolute mayhem from ball one. I wouldn't want to play in a T10 as the game would only last 2 hours. But it will be ideal to watch.

I was watching some rank left arm spinner bowl in the big bash, and he bowled 4 overs for 16 runs. Why. Why bat defensively against spin in T20. Who cares if you get out there is another guy coming in after you anyway. But that is what people do, somehow they don't believe they are allowed to have a tonk until the 18th over. In T10 there would be no excuse for conservative grandmother batting.

T10 is the future. Get on board the train.
Guptill was very controlled today. Was scoring at will then got some good deliveries and respected them. I wouldn't call his beautifully crisp and poised boundary hitting slogging; it was a very considerable cut above that.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill was very controlled today. Was scoring at will then got some good deliveries and respected them. I wouldn't call his beautifully crisp and poised boundary hitting slogging; it was a very considerable cut above that.
There were some dirty slogs in there as well such as front foot cross bat shots straight down the ground.

Regardless in Hurricane's book of cricket most sixes that aren't pull/hook shots are slogs, even inside out over extra cover shots into the crowd. As a cricket shot the lofted off drive should be going 3 or 4 bounces into the rope if you time it well. If you hit it for six then there is a significant amount of bottom hand involved.

I don't mean to belittle his inning, I thoroughly enjoyed and want to see more of it, and it made me realise how crap and conservative T20 cricket is.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
There were some dirty slogs in there as well such as front foot cross bat shots straight down the ground.

Regardless in Hurricane's book of cricket most sixes that aren't pull/hook shots are slogs, even inside out over extra cover shots into the crowd. As a cricket shot the lofted off drive should be going 3 or 4 bounces into the rope if you time it well. If you hit it for six then there is a significant amount of bottom hand involved.

I don't mean to belittle his inning, I thoroughly enjoyed and want to see more of it, and it made me realise how crap and conservative T20 cricket is.
It's nice to spend a fairly considerable amount of time watching cricket. Would we decide after watching a T10 that T5 could be the way forward?
NZ vs Sri Lanka in a series of super-overs? I don't know if I could be bothered to drive to Eden Park to watch a match consisting of one super-over per side.

I guess T20 gives more people a chance to bat as well.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's nice to spend a fairly considerable amount of time watching cricket. Would we decide after watching a T10 that T5 could be the way forward?
NZ vs Sri Lanka in a series of super-overs? I don't know if I could be bothered to drive to Eden Park to watch a match consisting of one super-over per side.

I guess T20 gives more people a chance to bat as well.
Yeah - maybe my idea sucks. I wouldn't go to the basin for 2 hours of action either. So how do we get the message across to T20 players to stop playing so conservatively. I guess that is my major message. I watched Cutting walk out to the bat in the 15th over the other day. He potted around for 6-7 deliveries before getting on with it. It was completely boring watching a talentless batsman pick singles against some poor spinner in the 16th over because he wasn't ready to charge yet.

I have played a T5 tournament. We gave each other two balls to get used to it then we had to go. Two balls is all you need especially if you have throw downs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
More random thoughts.

1) Jesse Ryder could yet make a comeback. And if he does we will win the next world cup.

Guptil
Kane
Ryder
Taylor
Anderson
?
Ronchi

2) Anderson should be in the team ahead of Nicholls, on the other hand at least we are building some depth.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah very worried about Boult.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
More random thoughts.

1) Jesse Ryder could yet make a comeback. And if he does we will win the next world cup.

Guptil
Kane
Ryder
Taylor
Anderson
?
Ronchi

2) Anderson should be in the team ahead of Nicholls, on the other hand at least we are building some depth.
Guptil
Ryder
Kane
Taylor
Anderson
Santner
Ronchi
Milne
Henry
Southee
Boult

...is your 2019 CWC winning team

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I wouldn't. We're going to have world class batsmen from 1-4 and world class hitters from 5-7. We don't need more batsmen.

From 8-11 we have 4 more sloggers. It's going to be great.

I'm convinced The Real Matt Henry (TM) is going to be every bit as good as Southee and Boult by 2019. I reckon he's got more rhythm than either of them, just lacks experience at this stage. With those 3 and Milne it's best not to weaken it for the sake of some No. 8 batting.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll be massively surprised if Taylor makes it to the 2019 tournament. I may be wrong, but something tells me either his eyes or body will give out before he's 35 for the international level.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm convinced The Real Matt Henry (TM) is going to be every bit as good as Southee and Boult by 2019. I reckon he's got more rhythm than either of them, just lacks experience at this stage. With those 3 and Milne it's best not to weaken it for the sake of some No. 8 batting.
Is that really saying a lot? I must be only Kiwi who thinks Southee's overrated as an ODI (in particular) bowler. Take away that one magical day vs. England and his ODI form in the last couple of years has been decidedly average, pretty much like his whole career to date. At best a 'handy/good' ODI cricketer. Nothing more, nothing less & certainly not someone we'd hope Henry aspires to match.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ronchi won't be there, neither will Ryder.

likely to be:

Latham
Guptill
KW
Taylor
Anderson
Santner
Seifert/Watling
Milne
Sodhi/Henry
Southee
Boult

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No you need to bat down to number 9 ideally. Numbers 8 and 9 both need to be capable of scoring 20 runs. Number 10 and 11 I don't care about.

We have lot of bowlers who can do a job and only two of them can open with the new ball - so some of the change bowlers need to be good with the bat.

Maybe if Mills had played the final instead of Henry we score another 20 runs.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
More random thoughts.

Guptil
Kane
Ryder
Taylor
Anderson
?
Ronchi

Jesse Ryder must make a comeback. And when he does he must win us the World Cup.