• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

Athlai

Not Terrible
One of the things that worries me most about Guptill is just how confused his approach to test cricket was last season. One innings he was trying to do things properly and grind his way to decent totals, the next he was just looking to Warner it and smash his way through. I really don't get any sense from him that he has a strategy regarding how he's going to improve his returns.
I think it definitely is a problem with his game and better cricketing minds than ours are probably contributing to it. Should one of our ATG limited overs batsman play their natural game or play a more defensive style that is still within their wheelhouse to play?

I think 2016 is really his last chance so it'll be interesting to see what Guptill we get. I'm personally inclined to an attacking Guptill with a more defensive Latham, and if Guptill nicks out early Williamson is as capable a defender as we have to block it up. And if he gets going then Williamson can continue to keep the runs flowing at a steady rate either with the set Guptill or with a set Latham.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Time to break out my Martin guptil story that I have shared twice before in the last 7 years.

I was on a flight to the states and I think we touched down in San Francisco.

The black caps were on their way to the first of two tours against the West Indies. And they were on my flight.
Suddenly as we were checking our bags in for connecting flights they were right behind me. Be still my beating heart I can not let this moment escape.
I picked the friendliest looking blackcap and called out "Martin guptil"... He looked up wondering who had called
"Good luck in the West Indies"
"Thanks man" and then he did that thing where you stick out your bottom lip like that means something and he nodded knowingly.
I turned around and BJ watling and Dean Brownlie were right in front of me looking resplendent in their nz Blazers with Brownlie looking like a movie star. They looked a bit to intense to approach and I had had my moment so I said nothing else.

Moral of this story. Guptil is a good guy. He is an all rounder due to his fielding. Raval will average in the twenties. You know that. I know that. The nz selectors know that. Jeet raval's mother knows that.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Time to break out my Martin guptil story that I have shared twice before in the last 7 years.

I was on a flight to the states and I think we touched down in San Francisco.

The black caps were on their way to the first of two tours against the West Indies. And they were on my flight.
Suddenly as we were checking our bags in for connecting flights they were right behind me. Be still my beating heart I can not let this moment escape.
I picked the friendliest looking blackcap and called out "Martin guptil"... He looked up wondering who had called
"Good luck in the West Indies"
"Thanks man" and then he did that thing where you stick out your bottom lip like that means something and he nodded knowingly.
I turned around and BJ watling and Dean Brownlie were right in front of me looking resplendent in their nz Blazers with Brownlie looking like a movie star. They looked a bit to intense to approach and I had had my moment so I said nothing else.

Moral of this story. Guptil is a good guy. He is an all rounder due to his fielding. Raval will average in the twenties. You know that. I know that. The nz selectors know that. Jeet raval's mother knows that.
I don't think anyone disagrees with this, but the history of professional sports is packed with nice-guy failures and arse-hole superstars, so unfortunately it doesn't really hold much relevance to the issue at hand.

I do note though that that tour of WI was the only time in his career that Gup has looked the part as a test cricketer. You should hunt him down and yell random encouragements at him more often.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also BJ Watling looks about 12, I can't picture any situation in which I would describe him as intense enough not to approach.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Also BJ Watling looks about 12, I can't picture any situation in which I would describe him as intense enough not to approach.
Hurricane understandably didn't want to seem like a *** criminal accosting such a young boy.

Loved the Guppy story and in particular the Raval bashing.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Confess you liked the story :)

BJ and Brownlie were right in front of me and when they saw me talk to Martin they stiffened slightly and realised that New Zealanders were around them and that they needed to be on top behaviour. So yeah they just looked a bit stiff and like they were "aware" they were being observed by rabid fans. Intense is probably the wrong word.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also a certain starter at wicketkeeper batsman for the Nice Guy XI. Mind you, **** all competition to take the gloves in that side.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Also a certain starter at wicketkeeper batsman for the Nice Guy XI. Mind you, **** all competition to take the gloves in that side.
Allan Knott?

Geraint Jones?

Alec Stewart?

Jack Russell?

Most of the English blokes are well behaved.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking more an NZ side. Those who have played league cricket in the UK know yappy keepers, or any player for that matter, aren't particularly condoned. It's all about the gentlemanly spirit.

I'll make it harder, name an Australian Nice Guy XI. Peter Nevill could average 0 and drop everything that came to him, and he'd still demand selection in the side behind the stumps.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Was thinking more an NZ side. Those who have played league cricket in the UK know yappy keepers, or any player for that matter, aren't particularly condoned. It's all about the gentlemanly spirit.

I'll make it harder, name an Australian Nice Guy XI. Peter Nevill could average 0 and drop everything that came to him, and he'd still demand selection in the side behind the stumps.
errr, Gilchrist?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
NZ Nice Guy XI

1) Franklin
2) Edgar
3) Howarth
4) Crowe
5) Greatbatch
6) Jr Reid
7) Warren Lees
8) Hedley Howarth
9) Sneddon
10) Bond
11) Morrison

Discounted players

1) Coney and Hadlee due to their fued.
2) John Bracewell - apparently our worst sledger
3) Kyle Mills - terrible sledger
4) Willie Watson - terrible sledger and couldn't walk the talk.
5) Andrew Jones - single minded player
6) Chatfield - looked like he was capable of the odd chirp
7) Chris Cairns - for a number of reasons
8) Dipak Patel - thought he was better than what he was.
9) Lee Germon - should have turned down the captaincy
10) Fleming - too corporate.

jcas0167

International Debutant
NZ Nice Guy XI

1) Franklin
2) Edgar
3) Howarth
4) Crowe
5) Greatbatch
6) Jr Reid
7) Warren Lees
8) Hedley Howarth
9) Sneddon
10) Bond
11) Morrison.
If Hadlee & Coney are out due to their feud then does that rule out Crowe & Howarth? Maybe John Wright could slot in at number 3 and Bert Sutcliffe at number 4 (from the little I have read he comes across as a humble, stoical and gentlemanly character)? Chris Harris 12th man. David Aberhart coach (Lees would have got this if he wasn't already in the side).

Last edited: