• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Katich should've been out lbw to Swann. Again, not a completely unforgiveable n\o decision, but the correct one would've been out.

So 2-1 to England so far.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Katich should've been out lbw to Swann. Again, not a completely unforgiveable n\o decision, but the correct one would've been out.

So 2-1 to England so far.
Nah, Hawkeye got pissed at tea, obviously high imo from side on shot.

Still, Doctrove = bowler's nightmare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
HawkEye doesn't get pissed, it's even more reliable than the side-on shot, from which I thought there was a modicum of a chance it was high.

Clearly would've been given out if TV umpires could study the replay - and didn't have to overturn a n\o decision, obviously. As it is, Katich gets lucky and the game moves on.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looked dead in the water to me - obviously Burgey has the benefit of a special soap based product, denied to those of us in England, with which he washed his eyes out before watching the replay

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Looked dead in the water to me - obviously Burgey has the benefit of a special soap based product, denied to those of us in England, with which he washed his eyes out before watching the replay
Eyes? Controversial use of the plural.

Burgey

Well, tbf it's 2 am here and at my age things get foggy after two late nights in a row. Bit of a worry with Doctrove if he got it wrong - two in two days.

Happy to concede if there's an error in our favour, but I genuinely thought it was close but arguably high when 1st saw it, and the side-on shot confirmed that to me.

Will have another look at it when they show it again (and they will).

Burgey

HawkEye doesn't get pissed, it's even more reliable than the side-on shot, from which I thought there was a modicum of a chance it was high.

Clearly would've been given out if TV umpires could study the replay - and didn't have to overturn a n\o decision, obviously. As it is, Katich gets lucky and the game moves on.
[Sarcasm.jpeg]

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not infallible though. It has a very considerable margin of error which isn't admitted to by the TV graphics.
All the same, I'd trust something that tries to predict over something that doesn't. HawkEye is, obviously, not infallible, but you didn't need HawkEye to see that that was pretty out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

Humour sends Xmas cards to Dicko and cheerfully waves at him, but he always fails to recognise it. Embarrassing for both parties.
That's, obviously, wrong - you'd have to be fairly stupid, in truth, to think I didn't realise that was a joke \ piece of sarcasm - but naturally for some every opportunity must be taken.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Happy to concede if there's an error in our favour, but I genuinely thought it was close but arguably high when 1st saw it, and the side-on shot confirmed that to me.
The side-on shot shows the ball hitting the back leg after it's hit the front leg - thus it seems far higher than it actually was.

Steulen

International Regular
It's not infallible though. It has a very considerable margin of error which isn't admitted to by the TV graphics.
That's what I do not understand about HawkEye. It should be fairly easy to make a probability graph instead of a "point" estimate of the ball's trajectory. That would immediately kill off all the talk about HE's suspected margin of error and would show these tight lbw's for what they are. You could even use the old statistical cut-off of 95% likelihood to base your decisions on..

Uppercut

Source?

Katich's was a mistake, because in hindsight it was out. But it didn't really look out. Of the three lbw mistakes, i think that's the one that I would have made too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Katich was definitely out for mine.

There was also an LBW shout late in the England innings that was totally dead and was given not out. IIRC it was Hilfenhaus bowling, but I can't remember the batsman.

The umpires have been very reticent with LBWs in general, I'd say at least five could have been given out reasonably and haven't.

edit: This one:

97.5 Hilfenhaus to Anderson, no run, big shout - that's dead close as it moves back at the last moment but the umpire says no. How is that not-out? Pitched in line and looked like it was taking out middle-and-off

Last edited:

Uppercut

Katich was definitely out for mine.

There was also an LBW shout late in the England innings that was totally dead and was given not out. IIRC it was Hilfenhaus bowling, but I can't remember the batsman.

The umpires have been very reticent with LBWs in general, I'd say at least five could have been given out reasonably and haven't.

edit: This one:

97.5 Hilfenhaus to Anderson, no run, big shout - that's dead close as it moves back at the last moment but the umpire says no. How is that not-out? Pitched in line and looked like it was taking out middle-and-off
That one actually pitched outside leg, Hawkeye showed.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hawkeye showed it pitching on the outside of leg stump actually. That was obviously the justification for giving it not out, but it definitely pitched in line, albeit only just. If we're taking Hawkeye as the ultimate arbiter of what is an umpiring error and what isn't (rather than making a subjective call about whether or not it should have been given out), it was a mistake.

Understandable decision live though.