• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Just watching some old 2005 footage, it reminded me that Bell and Pietersen were wrongly given out "caught" off Warne's bowling in the 2nd innings at Edgbaston. Not sure if they were clear enough errors to be corrected under the new system though which may lend some support to Richard's argument I suppose. And it did set up a pretty ok finish to the game.

Anyhow, God what a series that was. The spirit between the teams was so damn good.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watching some old 2005 footage, it reminded me that Bell and Pietersen were wrongly given out "caught" off Warne's bowling in the 2nd innings at Edgbaston. Not sure if they were clear enough errors to be corrected under the new system though which may lend some support to Richard's argument I suppose. And it did set up a pretty ok finish to the game.
Pietersen, sure (despite that he was out first ball) but thought Bell's nick to the ''keeper was was clear as day. Didn't seem too fussed about the decision himself.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One example: "Jones...Bowden!"

Kaspas hand wasn't on bat, should have been not out, Australia retains Ashes
If errors were eliminated they wouldn't even have been playing by the time that happened, as Kasprowicz would have been given out lbw 1st ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes that was an error. But it's wrong to suggest that that invalidates the whole system.
I wasn't suggesting that. I was suggesting that there's no way on Earth anyone can be remotely close to certain that the poor decision against Strauss in the Adelaide Oval second-innings would have been overturned with the referral system, because it fails as often if not more than it succeeds.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One example: "Jones...Bowden!"

Kaspas hand wasn't on bat, should have been not out, Australia retains Ashes and england keep whinging and decide to form a "british" team to bring Andy Murray into the team and eventually try to say he's english.
Law 33, dear boy:

"Either batsman is out Handled the ball if he wilfully touches the ball while in play with a hand or hands not holding the bat unless he does so with the consent of the opposing side."

Gone either way. :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dead-set, some people (mostly Australians... what a surprise 8-)) have a hell of an ability to hallucinate a universe of errors more than actually happened in 2005.

You could probably count the number of obvious mistakes on two hands. In five Tests, that makes a pretty damn good series of Umpiring.

So... before we get onto tallying the errors in 2009, shall we have some claims made about how many there were in 2005? And actually give them, rather than just say "there were loads".
As far as deadset shockers go - Damien Martyn at Old Trafford, given lbw off the middle of the bat.

McGrath yorked Harmison (?) in one of the tests, plum in front of middle stump, and it was given not out.

edit: might have been Simon Jones actually. Was the most blatant lbw in the history of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember that Jones one (was definately Jones - LHB - though having looked back it was actually Brett Lee not McGrath who was bowling - McGrath missed the Test in question) but the Martyn exaggeration is precisely what I'm talking about. There is no way it (or Martyn's other bad lbw) was that obvious - yes, you'd hope a good Umpire would spot it most of the time, but it wasn't the sort of thing that there's no excuse whatsoever for, as the Katich one was (ditto the Lee-Jones one).

Let's do it. Seeing as Gelman doesn't want it done here for whatever reason, separate thread. Let's try and tally ALL the Umpiring errors in 2005, dividing them into easily-made mistakes and ridiculous ones.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right then, we've just had the first error of the series. Strauss n\o to a pretty obviously out lbw against Johnson. And yes, it was pretty clearly out to my mind, HawkEye or no HawkEye.

Cost is precisely zero - Strauss out to the same bowler, the same over, without adding to his score.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pietersen clearly out LBW of Hilfenhaus not given by Doctrove. 3rd session day 1.

Horrible appeal by Hilfenhaus mind you. Not convincing at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
2-0 to England currently, by my score. :cool: Strauss looked gone earlier & KP certainly was there, although Haddin appealing for the catch probably didn't help Hilfenhaus's cause much.

Daryl Harper

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's pathetic when you can highlight an umpire beforehand and cringe (Doctrove, when I saw him listed) and then straight away you are reminded why.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
An error, but a forgivable one.

Rewound Sky+ after seeing the replays, and what is obvious after watching the replay is not obvious watching it live. There's enough doubt watching it live for the umpire's decision to be an understandable, if still ultimately wrong one.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
2-0 to England currently, by my score. :cool: Strauss looked gone earlier & KP certainly was there, although Haddin appealing for the catch probably didn't help Hilfenhaus's cause much.
Surely it made it easier for Doctrove? If he reckons he hit it he's out caught behind, if he reckons there was no bat then it is pretty stone dead.

Either way its a disgraceful decision.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Counting umpiring errors = pathetic.

Them's the breaks, so get the **** on with it you pansies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Counting umpiring errors = pathetic.

Them's the breaks, so get the **** on with it you pansies.
Think the point is that the referral system is going to be in place, so its an interesting study to see how such a system may have affected the series.