• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, that was a smeller. Doesn't match the n/o to KP on the first day but still a dodgy one.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Thought it was interesting they gave a leg bye from one that Strauss middled and if that hadn't been a no ball it might have been given out, was the ball before Bopara was out

Uppercut

Thought it was interesting they gave a leg bye from one that Strauss middled and if that hadn't been a no ball it might have been given out, was the ball before Bopara was out
Yeah, the no-ball there probably prevented what would have been a horrendous decision.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First incorrect "out" decision for the series. Bopara's LBW to Hilfenhaus was a bit high.
And of course, with these types (bad out-ers) you can't possibly know what the impact is as no-one will ever know what might have happened had it been given correctly.

By my calculations, that's now 2-2 on the "denied wickets" score and 1-0 to Australia on the "gifted wickets" one.

As per usual the bad decisions, despite being even, have favoured the better side - Strauss and Pietersen both made absolutely nothing whatsoever out of their let-offs: Katich and North both made huge use of them.

Whether Katich > Strauss is of course highly debateable and that North > Pietersen is pretty unequivocally not the case, but for these intents and purposes the latter are Australian players and the former England ones, so naturally they're superior. 8-)

Uppercut

Katich>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*breathes*

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Strauss.

IMO.

Uppercut

Katich would widely considered to be a reasonable bit better than Strauss, I believe. Daylight between them in most people's minds.

Now, I think Katich is very underrated by most, and Strauss is very overrated by most. Hence the comparison just makes me baulk.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Until a year ago most thought Katich a spent force at Test level, however relatively raw a deal he'd gotten (forcing a natural #three to bat #six constantly is hardly giving him the best chance). Strauss has had two outstanding (if pretty short) periods of scoring, and has been an opener all his life; whether Katich has long in the role remains to be seen.

I'd not be at all surprised to see Strauss go down as the better batsman, and certainly (when playing well) they're relatively similar. Both very good at ignoring the bowlers' attempts to lure them into their own games and instead luring (note: luring, not forcing) the bowlers into abandoning game-plans and trying something different, thus ending-up bowling to their strengths.

I certainly don't think there's all that much in it, if one is better than the other.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I don't think there's a clearcut winner in the Strauss V Katich debate

Anyway. The Bopara decision was a shocker. If Australia win this Test, I will be bringing it up.

[/wtf_ben mode]

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Back on topic:

Let's be fair to Doctrove - after the not outs he gave when Australia were batting, he's now evened things up by giving Bopara out wrongly. You can't knock his sense of fair play.

Billy D's other claim to fame is that he was, of course, the racist white man who dared to accuse Pakistan of ball tampering at the Oval and was then slated by the world's press.

Last edited:

Burgey

Back on topic:

Let's be fair to Doctrove - after the not outs he gave when Australia were batting, he's now evened things up by giving Bopara out wrongly. You can't knock his sense of fair play.

Billy D's other claim to fame is that he was, of course, the racist white man who dared to accuse Pakistan of ball tampering at the Oval and was then slated by the world's press.
:laugh:

Shocker on the Bopara decision. Would've gone on to make eight as well.

If Australia sneak this late in the day in controversial circumstances, England should threaten to go home :ph34r: