• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fast Bowler's fast Bowlers

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I knew I had an action picture of S F Barnes somewhere. Today I stumbled across it when going through an old book. It is a very small one and in the book in question it has been blown up which looks impressive but also very grainy in the bargain. Here it is and gives a more 'solid' perspective of the greatest bowler than we get from all those posed pictures.

Until we see footage, going to assume he was all hype. :ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Until we see footage, going to assume he was all hype. :ph34r:
I am trying to get him to come for a shoot but the guy seems to be very reluctant. I suspect he is either worried he will be exposed or, which is more likely, his action might get reported to ICC :)

bagapath

International Captain
You are most welcome. I feel good that you guys read this stuff. It makes all the laborious typing worthwhile. I wish there was a way to share one's books with everyone :)
of course we are reading it. thanks a ton for the efforts, more so for the content.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are most welcome. I feel good that you guys read this stuff. It makes all the laborious typing worthwhile. I wish there was a way to share one's books with everyone :)
Have you no OCR program SJS? Would save you innumberable amounts of time.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Gold

Will finish reading the thread tonight

Here are transcripts from Richard Hadlee on the art of fast,

The philosophy of other bowlers is quite interesting because we are all different.

Terry Alderman, who to me was the master of swing, the great Australian fast bowler - "Swing bowling is about bowling in the corridor of uncertainty"

Frank Tyson, of England who mustered extreme pace - "I aim to bowl the best and fastest ball in my armoury."

Alan Connolly, a very respected pace bowler from Australia - " I aim for a good line and length but always wish it was an unplayable delivery"

Harlod Larwood, of course we know a legendary fast bowler in English cricket - "I bowl flat out to get a wicket"
Dennis Lillee is arguably the greatest fast bowler ever in the history of the game. I find it very difficult to believe that there was somebody better than Dennis Lillee. There may well have been, but to me Dennis Lillee had all the qualities that fast bowling is all about. He was big, strong, aggressive, confident, had marvelous skills, he intimidated the batsman with a little bit of chatter and cool gamesmanship. No problem with that, that's fair play these days and of course he got you out, which means he did his job.

But his point is his philosophy of fast bowling. "If I landed the ball roughly where I wanted it to land, then I knew I started on a good note. I believe it has to be somewhere near the batsman, where the batsman has to play a shot of the ball, therefore you have a chance to get him out."

Pace will help but it is not vitally important. But Dennis Lillee also believed, that fast bowling perfection was a combination of number of difficult qualities. He broke it down into a robot like player. Imagine this, the breathtaking run up of Wes Hall, the silk smooth delivery of Ray Lindwall, the blistering pace of Jeff Thompson, the fire brand aggression of Fred Trueman, the scintillating swing of Alan Davidson, the accuracy of Brain Statham, the devastating cut of John Snow, the lethal bouncer of Charlie Griffith, the demoralizing yorker of Andy Roberts, the stamina of Mike Procter and the sheer brilliance of Keith Miller. Boy !!! What a bowler

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Great thread, will weigh in more later, but as I said on another thread previously, when one compiles different world 11's from different commentators, historians and past players, the consensus bowling attack was Marshall, Lillee and Barnes with Warne providing the spin. Have to respect that, what I will add though is that Lindwall, considering what he accomplised is also a bit under rated as is Holding, both of whom I rank higher that Hadlee and Akram, bot of whom are rated quite highly at CW.

smash84

The Tiger King
Great thread, will weigh in more later, but as I said on another thread previously, when one compiles different world 11's from different commentators, historians and past players, the consensus bowling attack was Marshall, Lillee and Barnes with Warne providing the spin. Have to respect that, what I will add though is that Lindwall, considering what he accomplised is also a bit under rated as is Holding, both of whom I rank higher that Hadlee and Akram, bot of whom are rated quite highly at CW.
Actually Akram is the fast bowler's fast bowler of the generation of players from late 80s to 00s. Donald, McGrath, Ambrose (the premier fast bowlers of the 90s) rate him the best. Also Lillee rates him just below Marshall/Ambrose as quoted by SJS from Lillee's 2004 book

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't asking who the fast bowlers rated highly, was saying that I rate Lindwall and Holding, partly because they took their respective teams to number one and had better game and series winning performances. I can also understand the Wasim love, he could bowl magic deliveries, reverse swing it and had more talent than Ambrose and Mcgrath, but they had better results and Wasim took way too maby tail end wickets with proportion to his over all tally. ATG yes, top five, don't think so.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasn't asking who the fast bowlers rated highly, was saying that I rate Lindwall and Holding, partly because they took their respective teams to number one and had better game and series winning performances. I can also understand the Wasim love, he could bowl magic deliveries, reverse swing it and had more talent than Ambrose and Mcgrath, but they had better results and Wasim took way too maby tail end wickets with proportion to his over all tally. ATG yes, top five, don't think so.
Holding wasn't really the main factor in taking the WI team to number one though. If anything he was a small part of the whole machine.

Never said top 5. And yeah I was basically responding to why he is rated so highly on CW when I mentioned him as the fast bowlers' fast bowler not if he was better than Holding or Larwood. Although I get the feeling that most who saw both Holding and Wasim bowl would probably tilt towards Wasim

watson

Banned
Javed Miandad too in his autobiography acknowledges the role of John Snow in Imran's education as a fast bowler. He calls him "a mentor to Imran" and admires him for passing on "the skills of his craft to an able pupil"
There's something poetic about Snow and Imran getting together to learn the art of fast bowling.

I like it!

(Sorry for butting in, but just making my way through the thread and thinking out loud. Carry on)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, while going through articles on Mailey for another thread today, I came across a bit of writing that is very close to my heart.

I have always been amazed at how swing bowling has become such a preciously rare "art" in this day and age. I remember Tendulkar talking once of how Zaheer was 'gifted' with the ability to swing the ball. Others talk of natural swing and losing the swing and so on. I may be 62 but I am not from another century than those plying and watching the game today. In the mid sixties when I started playing first grade cricket in Delhi, every single bowler who used the new ball in our club nets, swung it either in or out. They combined it with the cutter going the other way. The in-swing bowlers bowled leg cutters and the out-swing bowlers bowled off cutters. This was not considered a miracle. Every senior division new ball bowler one faced as an opener swung the ball. You wouldn't be allowed to get close to a new ball and "waste it" (as our coach would admonish) if you bowled without movement in the air.

What has happened? How come so many new ball bowlers, not club cricketers like my mates in the sixties, but first class cricketers and some internationals as well do not swing the new ball in the air. So rare has it become that when someone comes along and does it combining late movement in the air it with decent line and length, most batsmen are at sea. As an opener in club cricket, I faced bowlers, of varying pace, swing the new ball in Delhi's winter mornings while the air was damp and their was mist/fog in the early morning air. With a new ball taken in an innings that started later in the day, it swung a bit less but swing it did.

Here is what Cardus wrote in the 1930's on what he calls the "tyranny of the seam" as bowler after bowler swung the ball in the air and the art of spinning and breaking off the wicket seamed to have taken a back seat. The piece of writing is about Arthur Mailey, a precocious spinner of the leg break but Cardus starts such . . . and you will be scandalised at what he says . . .

It is generally agreed nowadays that the most harmful obsession ever to afflict cricket is the tyranny of the seam, the persistent mania of swing bowling, more or less dependent for success on the new ball. No great skill is required to manipulate the seam. At any rate, it is a kind of bowling not difficult to exploit with effect by any strong armed young man after a year or two of practice. But the worst thing to be said of seam bowling is that it is boring to watch, mechanical and, at bottom, unimaginative and inartistic.

Wow! What the hell is he talking about ? "Most harmful obsession", "persistent mania of swing" and "boring to watch" . . . !! Why is he talking such rubbish?

Because everyone was bowling it that's why.

When Barnes started to move the ball in the air in the early years of the 20th century and till the first world war, it was not swung with the kind of actions we are now familiar with. This man bowled fast leg breaks in a manner that the seam remained, throughout its flight path, facing leg slip. The result was that it started to swing in to the batsman and then after pitching it would break away and move to slips. That swing in the air was difficult to achieve by Barnes' methods. The regular swing by "manipulating the seam" was not yet common place in the cricket world. Freaks like Bart King of Philadelphia had shown it and bamboozled international cricketers but it remained a largely unknown and unexploited craft. In the second decade of the century some bowlers started moving the ball in the air and then came the first WW. After it ended in 1919 English county cricket saw many bowlers who started exploiting the seam and soon it was common place. Like everything new, it had caught everyone's fancy and like the googly in its early years, bowling it was easier and controlling it took slightly longer. The number of fast medium bowlers who swung the ball began to rise in county cricket and then it was normal for anyone using the new ball to swing it till the ball lost its shine and the seam got flatter. In England that took longer so the breed flourished more but the skill spread and at every level.

Why have we lost it? Why is swinging the ball considered such a 'gift' ? I will tell you what. We have come to accept the deviation from the basic bowling action, side on, leading arm high, bowling arm following through across the body and all that, as no big deal. There were people who bowled with unorthodox actions in all eras but they were few, rare and clearly identified as such. Like Malinga's unorthodox round arm action is recognised as such and, at least so far, one has not seen clones mushrooming.

Today, classical bowling actions are rare. Just 45 years ago, even in club cricket in Delhi one saw it in the nets of grade sides. The change is dramatic and disconcerting.

Imran's piece on how he worked on correcting his action is an eye opener and that was three decades ago. Fortunately there were people like John Snow around to point it out to him and work on it. How is it going to happen today. An unorthodox bowling action is no more unorthodox. This is a tragedy for the game is not evolving by moving away from the basics. The same applies to the refusal of modern day youngsters to learn correctly the art of playing off the back foot.

The coaches . . . are there any who care or dare explain that there is the correct grammar of the art of batting bowling (and keeping) which one must know and THEN there is the individual nuanced deviation from it . . and the reasons for the grammar being what it is and the consequences of the deviations . . . I doubt it.

Last edited: