• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.10

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well here we are, right at the business end of our countdown - CW's top 10 cricketers of all time. Many great names have already been and gone in our list and now only the tiny elite remain. From now on, I will be counting down the final ten one at a time.

So let's get started...

Sir Richard Hadlee | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
Nominated by 86% of voters - highest ranking no.4

It is a rare thing that a famous father has a son that eclipses him so completely, but such is the case with Sir Richard Hadlee. Father Walter Hadlee was a outstanding player, captain and administrative figure in New Zealand cricket but the achievements of his son put Walter's own - as well as everyone else in the history of New Zealand cricket - into the shade. The greatest cricketer ever produced by his country - perhaps on Australia and Sri Lanka can claim to have a player so undisputed as their all time number 1 - Hadlee ranks both as one of the finest bowlers and one of best all rounders in all of cricket history. Beginning as a raw and genuinely fast 21-year-old tearaway in 1973 it wasn't until later in the decade, having added control and maturity to his game, that he became a world-class performer, a true master craftsman, and from the beginning of the 1980s through to the end of his career Hadlee was fit to rank comfortably alongside - even above - the very greatest bowlers from his or any other generation. He was considered a genuine all rounder and was a glorious striker of the ball, even if he didn't always do himself full justice with the bat - a final Test batting average of 27 is perhaps less than a player of his talent should have achieved.

With ball in hand, though, it was triumph after triumph. The man they call Paddles was the driving force behind historic wins over England and West Indies - his 11 wickets against the Windies in Dunedin in 1980 subjected the Caribbean Kings to their last series defeat for 15 years - while in the three full seasons Hadlee was able to play for Nottinghamshire he took 319 wickets at a remarkable average of just under 14. It was against Australia however that he produced his greatest performances, the peak of which being his 33 wickets in just three Tests in 1985/86 as led the Kiwis to their first ever series win on Australian soil. The first bowler in Test history to take 400 wickets, he was still at the height of his powers in 1990 when he took five wickets in his last innings, including a wicket with his final delivery in Test cricket. Knighted - deservedly - while still an active player Hadlee went on to become, like so many great cricketers, an outspoken commentator. A truly worthy man to open our all time top 10.

So there it is, Paddles at number 10. I am out of London tomorrow and may not be online all day, so it may be that you will have to wait more than 24 hours to see who came in at number 9...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I had Paddles at 15. Something tells me he is well-placed with what is left.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Players left,

Bradman, Warne, Grace, Imran, Sachin, Sobers, Viv, Hobbs and Marshall.

I go,

Bradman
Sobers
Viv
Sachin
Hobbs
Imran
Grace
Marshall
Warne

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Players left,

Bradman, Warne, Grace, Imran, Sachin, Sobers, Viv, Hobbs and Marshall.
If they, along with Hadlee, make up the top 10 as expected then I will only have got 4 of my top 10 in the overall top 10. Goes to show, IMO, that after the top 1 or two that there is a lot of comparable and special talent.

Maximus0723

State Regular
If they, along with Hadlee, make up the top 10 as expected then I will only have got 4 of my top 10 in the overall top 10. Goes to show, IMO, that after the top 1 or two that there is a lot of comparable and special talent.
Who were your top 10?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well deserved top 10 ranking IMO. I had him at 8. To me, only Marshall was better than paddles.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I am out of London tomorrow and may not be online all day, so it may be that you will have to wait more than 24 hours to see who came in at number 9...
Sean, I actually prefer waiting for the weekend to be over before you reveal the others. The traffic is obviously lower on the weekends and I would suggest the top 10 deserve to be revealed when most are paying attention. Just IMO of course. :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well I guess to each his own with the Marshall vs Hadlee debate. Marshall has a better average I guess. But Hadlee had to spearhead the attack while Marshall had help.

Craig

World Traveller
Dennis Lilleee said a similar thing in one of his books in the mid-80's (Lillee had a chapter on NZ cricket, and had nothing but positive words for NZ cricket at that time), and I agree, if there was one thing that will be counted against Hadlee, is that he never had a top class partner in crime. And that, IMO, is what put Marshall just in front of him. Still a great bowler though, went from a tear away, to somebody who dropped his pace and worked on getting the batsman out by getting the ball to move off the pitch, and reall set the batsman up with a well pitched short ball, then pitch it up and catch him on the crease and get him caught behind or in the slip cordon.