• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW50 - No.10

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
... No. I was referring to this part of what you said:

Completely depends how you read it. Do does Test players mean, the Test career players? or (as I read it) the career of those that have played Tests?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Completely depends how you read it. Do does Test players mean, the Test career players? or (as I read it) the career of those that have played Tests?

By virtue of playing Test cricket it makes Grace eligible for the list and that bring in all his career achievements rather than just those it Tests.
There is no question that if we are rating cricketers per se, then Grace is a shoe-in for the top 3 best cricketers of all time.

But CMJ was ranking test cricketers, and the only way I can read that is that he is ranking players based solely on their test careers. Otherwise, why confuse people? Why not just call it the Top 100 cricketers?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There is no question that if we are rating cricketers per se, then Grace is a shoe-in for the top 3 best cricketers of all time.

But CMJ was ranking test cricketers, and the only way I can read that is that he is ranking players based solely on their test careers. Otherwise, why confuse people? Why not just call it the Top 100 cricketers?
No. That is not the only way to read it. It is limiting the players to those that played International cricket and in the 'Test' age.

Calling it 100 greatest cricketers would bring in the players from the early 1800s which he didnt want to do.

There is a big difference.

CMJ said:
I made two early decisions: to stick to men’s cricket and to Test cricketers, so I have not attempted to consider players before the dawn of official international cricket in 1877.

Thus there is no Alfred Mynn, John Small, Billy Beldham, David Harris, William Clarke, Fuller Pilch or John Wisden.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No way, they should stay as separate threads at least until the series is finished!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No way, they should stay as separate threads at least until the series is finished!
Yeah, AWTA. I think it'd be a good idea to merge them a week or so after it's done so people can search for it with ease later, but they should be separate while it's still going.

gvenkat

State Captain
No. That is not the only way to read it. It is limiting the players to those that played International cricket and in the 'Test' age.

Calling it 100 greatest cricketers would bring in the players from the early 1800s which he didnt want to do.

There is a big difference.
If Grace why not Hick? :) He averages better than WG.. I think WG was an iconic figure and all.. However I cannot agree that he is greater than a Lara, Gilly or even Ponting.

P.S : I'm a CW moron. :laugh:

Grace : First-class 870 1478 104 54211 344 39.45 124 251

Hick : First-class 526 871 84 41112 405* 52.23 136 158

Last edited:

Jarquis

Averaging 39 back in Grace's day whas an absolutely phenomenal achievement. Look at some other FC averages from around the time and admire just how far ahead of his time Grace was.

HeathDavisSpeed

Averaging 39 back in Grace's day whas an absolutely phenomenal achievement. Look at some other FC averages from around the time and admire just how far ahead of his time Grace was.
Yes. Look how good Mathew Sinclair turned out with his *amazing* First Class average; streets ahead of any other New Zealand batsman. Or alternatively, Graeme Hick or Mark Ramprakash. Grace = Meh.

Jarquis

Yes. Look how good Mathew Sinclair turned out with his *amazing* First Class average; streets ahead of any other New Zealand batsman. Or alternatively, Graeme Hick or Mark Ramprakash. Grace = Meh.
Just because he's not Malcolm Marshall doesn't mean you have to be bitter :p