• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW 50 - CricketWeb's view of the top 50 cricketers of all time

bagapath

International Captain
It is Tom actually.
the most deserving of all the richardsons to be on this list..

I remember the know-all uncle to whose house all the kids in our village would go to watch cricket before our families could afford to buy televisions. because he owned the tv, he also became the defacto conductor of international cricket matches. he would tell the whole world to come home to watch india vs west indies and decide where each one sat in his living room. he would then talk non-stop during the game. sometimes he would ask us to stop whispering and threaten to turn the tv off. when he was tired he would arbitrarily switch off the tv in the middle of the game and ask the kids to leave. one of my favorite gems from him came when viv richards and richie richardson were batting together. he turned towards us and announced "that is the great vivian richard and his son richardson".

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Sent. God that was tougher than I thought it would be.

Attempted to complete it without looking at any other "Top 10/20/100 cricketers" lists. Went with my instinct, but I am sure I have left out numerous/obvious quality players.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember the know-all uncle to whose house all the kids in our village would go to watch cricket before our families could afford to buy televisions. because he owned the tv, he also became the defacto conductor of international cricket matches. he would tell the whole world to come home to watch india vs west indies and decide where each one sat in his living room. he would then talk non-stop during the game. sometimes he would ask us to stop whispering and threaten to turn the tv off. when he was tired he would arbitrarily switch off the tv in the middle of the game and ask the kids to leave. one of my favorite gems from him came when viv richards and richie richardson were batting together. he turned towards us and announced "that is the great vivian richard and his son richardson".
:laugh:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
WTF? Why is Ravi Shastri not there, then?
I can think of lots of players who are missing from the list - I considered Bedi before discarding him. Bedi made the ESPN top 50 list.

I am glad someone nominated Crowe. I thought about sneaking him in on my list at position 25 but went with someone else.

I think I spotted 3 Kiwis there. Glad to know we represent 3% of the pool of players LOL.

bagapath

International Captain
I can think of lots of players who are missing from the list - I considered Bedi before discarding him. Bedi made the ESPN top 50 list.

I am glad someone nominated Crowe. I thought about sneaking him in on my list at position 25 but went with someone else.

I think I spotted 3 Kiwis there. Glad to know we represent 3% of the pool of players LOL.
dude... ravi shastri's name was a joke on so many other such players on the list. this is top 25 names for godssake; has to be treated with absolute reverence. dont think the rankings can be handed out very easily... but i am sure the final list will have only deserving names. might vary from my list. we will have our own issues. but it will be more or less accurate with only deserving names on it, i am confident

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
any interesting updates, the sean? have we crossed 100 nominations? and have you got 40+ lists already?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
any interesting updates, the sean? have we crossed 100 nominations? and have you got 40+ lists already?
We've now had 107 different cricketers nominated, but we're not up to 40 voters yet - votes have slowed down over the past couple of days. There are at least four guys who have confirmed they are developing lists and will send through so I want to wait for those before I close the voting. Also want to give anyone who hasn't voted and wants to the chance to do so. :)

archie mac

International Coach
Perhaps we could make some predictions. I reckon Bradman at 1 and will predict Sydney Barnes at 14.
I put Grace at one, but I agree the Don will be No.1:)

Other predictions

Warne over Murali

Marshall over Lillee

Khan over Miller

Tendulkar over Lara

And it a real shock

Sobers over kallis:-O

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I put Grace at one, but I agree the Don will be No.1:)

Other predictions

Warne over Murali

Marshall over Lillee

Khan over Miller

Tendulkar over Lara

And it a real shock

Sobers over kallis:-O
I picked all the bolded ones.

I'll predict that Australia will have the most in the top 25, but West Indies the most in the top 10.

Last edited: