• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Battle of the Englishmen

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Colonel H. H. Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji, Jam Sahib of Nawanagar

I love the idea of an Indian prince batting for England, and the romantic in me must vote for him.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Ranji, an Indian prince, was probably one of the finest batsmen of all time, not only in terms of runs scored but also because he brought new strokes to the game. His keen eye, unorthodoxy and speed of reaction meant that he introduced the late cut and leg glance, as well as the art of back-foot defence."

That'll do for me.

Larwood will always be remembered for THAT series, but I'll go for Ranjitsingji, an innovator.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I am a hypocrite, but I made an exception on account of Nasser having an exceedingly large nose.

stumpski

International Captain
Ranji - the Prince of the Golden Age. Nearest thing we had to Trumper. Made big scores in difficult conditions.

Craig

World Traveller
Pedro Delgado said:
Colonel H. H. Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji, Jam Sahib of Nawanagar

I love the idea of an Indian prince batting for England, and the romantic in me must vote for him.
He would have to have have one of the longest names ever to play international cricket, including all of his titles that he has.

Ranji for me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cambridge class triumphs over northern grit, which is only as it should be, after all. (:p) Ranji goes through 10-6.

Next up is a genuine clash of the titans. Two greats of the game who would expect to be quarter-finalists at worst. Such is the way with an unseeded draw tho. Get your think caps on gentlemen...

Battle of the Englishmen: Round1, Battle 4

Sir Leonard Hutton
79 tests, 6971 runs @ 56.67 (19 centuries, 33 half-centuries), 3 wickets @ 77.33

vs

Ian Botham
102 tests, 5200 runs @ 33.54 (14 centuries, 22 half-centuries), 383 wickets @ 28.40 (5 wicket innings: 27, 10 wicket matches: 4)
116 ODIs, 2113 runs @ 23.21, SR 79.10 (9 half-centuries), 145 wickets @ 28.54, ER 3.96 (4 wicket matches: 3)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
big one, don't know who to go for, i'll give it to beefy because he is an all-rounder, but both deserve to be in the quarter-finals.