• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Battle of the Englishmen

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Laker. A bowling avg of 21 is exceptional( especially for a spinner), a batting avg of 43 isn't.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Laker - it's very close, but 200 wickets @ 21+ 19 wickets in a test just about edges ahead of the load of runs + 303 mostly because of the uniqueness.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Was it not 7-6 to Hutton after 24 hours? :wacko:

Hutton - grecian, a massive zebra, Matteh, Perm, Jono, Anil, Sanz = 7
Botham - aussie, stumpski, steds, oz-fan, UnkleTheOne, Swervy = 6

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
a massive zebra said:
Was it not 7-6 to Hutton after 24 hours? :wacko:

Hutton - grecian, a massive zebra, Matteh, Perm, Jono, Anil, Sanz = 7
Botham - aussie, stumpski, steds, oz-fan, UnkleTheOne, Swervy = 6
No. You've missed Jamee999's vote for Botham.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Right, I guess the decision of the organiser is final and that is as it should be :), but personally I always considered this to be a prediction of the winner rather than an actual vote. :huh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
a massive zebra said:
Right, I guess the decision of the organiser is final and that is as it should be :), but personally I always considered this to be a prediction of the winner rather than an actual vote. :huh:
Tell you what before we go too far down the "hanging chads" route, if Jamee confirms it was a prediction rather than a vote I'll reverse the result.

JBH001

International Regular
Difficult.
Botham never really achieved his true potential due to a combination of injury, laziness and fame. Hutton however, did that and more - especially after the war when he batted with a left arm a little shorter than his right (or was it the other way about?).

Botham was and is Englands greatest allrounder - but Hutton is one of the three greatest English openers (Sutcliffe and Hobbs being the other). Sigh. Difficult.

I think I shall go with Hutton. He seems to have been a player of greater substance.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JBH001 said:
Difficult.
Botham never really achieved his true potential due to a combination of injury, laziness and fame. Hutton however, did that and more - especially after the war when he batted with a left arm a little shorter than his right (or was it the other way about?).

Botham was and is Englands greatest allrounder - but Hutton is one of the three greatest English openers (Sutcliffe and Hobbs being the other). Sigh. Difficult.

I think I shall go with Hutton. He seems to have been a player of greater substance.
We've moved on...

Laker or Gooch now.