• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Team of Last Two Decades

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hayden
Sehwag
Lara
Sachin
Kallis
Gilchrist
Pollock
Warne
Wasim
Ambrose
Murali

Wanted both Warne and Murali.. Tend to rate Ambrose a wee bit above McGrath. Same with Lara,SAchin over Ponting.. Wanted the extra bowling option.. so went Kallis over Steve Waugh or Ponting there. Love my attacking openers and the depth this side has...

shankar

International Debutant
Sehwag
Slater
Kallis
Sachin
Lara
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Ambrose
Waqar
Murali
McGrath

Bit of a long tail with Ambrose at 7. Sehwag and Slater opening would be awesome.

shankar

International Debutant
High possibility of both getting out cheaply and putting the team in trouble.
Haven't looked at Slater's figures closely but Sehwag's pretty consistent. Just because they scored quickly doesn't mean that they were necessarily hit or miss.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I choose Pollock ahead of McGrath. Pollock is very underrated I feel as a test bowler. He could bat as well.

And I rate Murali>Warne.

Himannv

International Coach
How about this?

1. B. Richards
2. S.M. Gavaskar
3. I.V.A. Richards
4. G.S. Chappell
5. R. Pollock
6. Imran Khan*
7. R. Marsh +
8. R.J. Hadlee
9. M.D. Marshall
10. D.K. Lillee
11. Addul Qadir

Reckon that team could beat allcomers, tbh. Selected Richards and Pollock from South Africa since they were the best in the world during that period anyway.

And what a fast bowling attack! Qadir is the spinner by default, I guess. Either him or Underwood, but spinners were lean pickings in the days before Warne and Murali.
Dont think you even need a spinner during that era. Garner would work well enough instead of Qadir. Other than that, amazing team.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Dont think you even need a spinner during that era. Garner would work well enough instead of Qadir. Other than that, amazing team.
Yeah, but even among spinners, I would pick at least one among Bedi, Prasanna and Chandra well over Qadir...And no, that's definitely not for my bias as an Indian...

Himannv

International Coach
Well my point was that the quick bowlers were far superior to any of the spinners of that era so there seems little point of playing a spinner.

Agree about Chandrashekar and Bedi being better than Qadir though. Not that convinced about Prasanna.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, but even among spinners, I would pick at least one among Bedi, Prasanna and Chandra well over Qadir...And no, that's definitely not for my bias as an Indian...
Think the great Indians were basically finished by the 80s otherwise I'd agree

Qadir was a fine bowler but basically a poor man's Warne

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
My team

Justin Langer
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Inzamam ul Haq
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Allan Donald
Glenn McGrath
Shane Warne

kingkallis

International Coach
My team of last 2 decades :

Matthew Hayden / Brian Lara
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Shaun Pollock
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Allan Donald / Waqar Younis
Glenn McGrath / Curtley Ambrose

12th man : Muralidharan

@Sydney, I'd go with Warne & Murali. Murali will replace Donald or Pollock...

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How about this?

1. B. Richards
2. S.M. Gavaskar
3. I.V.A. Richards
4. G.S. Chappell
5. R. Pollock
6. Imran Khan*
7. R. Marsh +
8. R.J. Hadlee
9. M.D. Marshall
10. D.K. Lillee
11. Addul Qadir

Reckon that team could beat allcomers, tbh. Selected Richards and Pollock from South Africa since they were the best in the world during that period anyway.

And what a fast bowling attack! Qadir is the spinner by default, I guess. Either him or Underwood, but spinners were lean pickings in the days before Warne and Murali.
If the challenge is to beat that team, I'd go for a different XI, that contains better players of pace (Taylor > Sehwag / Smith, Gilly > Flower), and more spinners.

Hayden
Taylor
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Donald
Murali
McGrath

Last edited: