• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Team of Last Two Decades

Dissector

International Debutant
Pollock averaged 29 against Australia and 36 in Australia. I could easily see him averaging 25+ against an even better attack. In the context of my team I really like the idea of a left-right partnership of Gilchrist and Pollock delivering an attacking counter-punch when the team is in trouble.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kallis
Lara
Gilchrist
Warne
Ambrose
Murali
McGrath

If its a greentop switch in Donald for Warne.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Virender Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist +
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
------------------------------
Curtley Ambrose
I would go with this, Ambrose and Murali interchanging depending on conditions. And Warne as skipper.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I, for one, don't believe in the idea that you have to have an all-rounder in your test team. Lloyd's West Indies and and McGrath-Warne's Australia didn't have one. More so, if your wicketkeeper is a good batsman.

I won't keep Flintoff anywhere near the XI for the last 20 years. Pollock will come near, but there are too many better (or equal) fast bowlers to be ignored (Ambrose, McGrath, Wasim, Donald and Waqar). The presence of two champion spinners in this era too don't help Pollock's case. Yes, Kallis should be in the team because he has a strong case as a batsman alone, his bowling is just a bonus (just like Sobers in an all-time XI).

10 among 11 in my team coincides with the majority opinion in CW. The only exception being that I consider Steve Waugh to be the 3rd best batsman of this era (after Sachin and Lara and before Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, Hayden etc.).

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Green Track XI

Saeed Anwar
Gary Kirsten
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Allan Donald
Curtly Ambrose
Glenn Mcgrath

Dust Bowl XI

Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Mahela Jayawardene
Kumar Sangakkara
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Muthiah Muralitharan
Glenn Mcgrath

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Brian Lara
7, Adam Gilchrist
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Shane Warne
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

Steve Waugh, Wasim Akram and of course Murali were close. Dravid, Sangakkara and Flintoff perhaps unlucky too but I didn't really consider them heavily.
Was waiting for your team for exactly this choice. :wub:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag
Gooch
Lara
Kallis
Tendulkar
Waugh (c)
Gilchrist (wk)
Warne
Akram
Ambrose
McGrath

Kallis doesn't work at 6 for me - it needs someone who can play for the team when batting with the lower order, so putting him at 4 to play more of an anchor role (something he seems to prefer, even if quick runs are needed).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Brian Lara
7, Adam Gilchrist
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Shane Warne
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

Steve Waugh, Wasim Akram and of course Murali were close. Dravid, Sangakkara and Flintoff perhaps unlucky too but I didn't really consider them heavily.
Pretty much spot on. Murali/Warne is always a toss up for me, and I'd probably play them both, but the rest is spot on.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Brian Lara
7. Adam Gilchrist*+
8. Wasim Akram
9. Curtly Ambrose
10.Alan Donald