• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test match Records that will never be broken !!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, it is. He holds the record for the highest Test batting average after a career of more than one innings. It's a wordy record but it's still a record. Sutcliffe holds the record for the highest Test batting average after a career of more than eighty innings. Again wordy, but again a record.
It's a little off topic and so may or may not be worth mentioning, but if Bradman's final innings at the Oval had actually been the start of a sequence of 50 consecutive ducks, he would still hold the record for the highest Test average of any player after a career of more than 120 innings.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
8-) Ok you can think of it that way, but this discussion is quite pointless because nobody works with that kind of logic. As far as anybody else is concerned, Bradman does have the highest average.
Um, no. Bradman does not have the highest Test batting average, it's as simple a fact as 1+1=2. That he doesn't is no comment on his ability as a player nor is it suggesting that any batsmen were greater - it's just a simple fact that there is at least one player with a higher batting average.

What Migara is saying (and I tend to agree to a point) is that putting filters on these records can be taken to a degree where you can count almost anything as a record, thus it's easier and simpler to use the figures as they are with no such filters.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a little off topic and so may or may not be worth mentioning, but if Bradman's final innings at the Oval had actually been the start of a sequence of 50 consecutive ducks, he would still hold the record for the highest Test average of any player after a career of more than 120 innings.
FMD, that's ridiculous.

TumTum

Banned
Um, no. Bradman does not have the highest Test batting average, it's as simple a fact as 1+1=2. That he doesn't is no comment on his ability as a player nor is it suggesting that any batsmen were greater - it's just a simple fact that there is at least one player with a higher batting average.

What Migara is saying (and I tend to agree to a point) is that putting filters on these records can be taken to a degree where you can count almost anything as a record, thus it's easier and simpler to use the figures as they are with no such filters.
The point here is that common sense must be taken into account and the batsman must have played a reasonable amount of matches. Also isn't there players that have an infinite average?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Debris

International 12th Man

Bradman's record might better be expressed as fastest to 5000 runs. I do have to say, though, that posters in here are showing a distinct lack of imagination. I would say the odds are if test cricket is played for the next 4 or 5 thousand years that both Bradman's and Tendulkar's records will be broken, probably several times. It would really only be some significant change in how test cricket is played that would stop it.

And if you are saying test cricket won't last that long......:@

Spikey

He would also then have the record for most ducks in a row. obviously not happy about being the best batsman ever he also wants to be the worst. what a ****

flibbertyjibber

Love how the Indian fans get so wound up at the mere thought any batsman could score more test runs than Tendulkar. It may happen, might even be Cook, lets face it he could easily have 10,000 runs before he is 31 so will have plenty of years to chase down whatever tendulkar finishes with.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Love how the Indian fans get so wound up at the mere thought any batsman could score more test runs than Tendulkar. It may happen, might even be Cook, lets face it he could easily have 10,000 runs before he is 31 so will have plenty of years to chase down whatever tendulkar finishes with.
i get wound up at the though of cook doing it because I do not believe he is in the class of batsmen who could do that. but yea it could definitely break, in fact it may not even last as long as some of the other all time high run scorers have had their records last.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A sobering thought if ever there was one - if SRT were to do the same he'd end up with an average of 47, still impressive - I reckon The Sean's 50 Duck Factor will prove to be a more important addition to cricket statistics than the Dickinsonian First Chance Average, and even my own Last Chance Average, although if I ever did know what that was I've forgotten - here are some other examples

GS Sobers 57.78 to 42.50
G Headley 60.83 to 25.47
AG Ganteaume 112.00 to 2.20
Imran Khan 37.09 to 25.21
H Sutcliffe 60.73 to 36.44

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
A sobering thought if ever there was one - if SRT were to do the same he'd end up with an average of 47, still impressive - I reckon The Sean's 50 Duck Factor will prove to be a more important addition to cricket statistics than the Dickinsonian First Chance Average, and even my own Last Chance Average, although if I ever did know what that was I've forgotten - here are some other examples

GS Sobers 57.78 to 42.50
G Headley 60.83 to 25.47
Bradman 99.94 to 58.33

smash84

The Tiger King

GS Sobers 57.78 to 42.50
G Headley 60.83 to 25.47
why does Imran lose only 12 points off his average while Sobers loses about 15, even though Sobers played 3 more test matches IIRC. Does it have to do with not outs??? And the others lose even more.

biased indian

International Coach
i have no doubt that cook will not reach that record..but maybe kallis if he end up haivng 2 very good years like sachi is having now could very well break that record

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
why does Imran lose only 12 points off his average while Sobers loses about 15, even though Sobers played 3 more test matches IIRC. Does it have to do with not outs??? And the others lose even more.
obv it will be depended on inngs and not out..and not on test

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Player A:
100 innings 3000 runs : avg = 30
150 innings 3000 runs : avg = 20

Player B:
100 innings 6000 runs : avg = 60
150 innings 6000 runs : avg = 40

Player B's avg falls twice as much as Player A's avg. This is because Player B performed far worse than Player A considering that he was expected to score twice as much as player A (since he avgs twice as much).
Proportionally their avgs fall by the same amount, however.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No he won't actually.

Ken Barrington would ,so you got that one wrong.

And if you are counting only completed innings then ,Wally Hammond would.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
That's starkling and very interesting drop in average.
Not very interesting or startling(I assumed you meant startling) at all really. All it really says is that he played a lot less innings than modern players which we already know.

Debris

International 12th Man
A duck will hurt Imran's average less because it was not as large to begin with. Larger the average, the more ducks will hurt it. It is what happens when you start playing silly statistical games.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No he won't actually.

Ken Barrington would ,so you got that one wrong.

And if you are counting only completed innings then ,Wally Hammond would.
No Cevno, you've got this one wrong. Read my post again - I said if his final innings at the Oval was the start of the sequence - so 49 more ducks after that. Leaving him with an average of 58.78.

Try harder.

Last edited: