• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

pup11

International Coach
I really didn't get the reason behind Ponting mentioning the records of India and Australia, since its the aussie on-field behaviour that Gavaskar targeted.

But Ponting did a great thing by mentioning the incident where Gavaskar almost took his team of the field, so as Ponting said noone is "Mr.Perfect" but no other Aussie player or captain has gone on to the extent of dragging their team of the field like Gavaskar.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really didn't get the reason behind Ponting mentioning the records of India and Australia, since its the aussie on-field behaviour that Gavaskar targeted.

But Ponting did a great thing by mentioning the incident where Gavaskar almost took his team of the field, so as Ponting said noone is "Mr.Perfect" but no other Aussie player or captain has gone on to the extent of dragging their team of the field like Gavaskar.
It's interesting. When we play hard and sledge, we're accused of being arrogant, bad winners who go against the spirit of cricket. But when England did EXACTLY THAT to us in the 05 Ashes they were applauded for their hard, tough, no holds barred way of playing the game.

Double standards in the Cricketing world methinks.

FRAZ

International Captain
It's interesting. When we play hard and sledge, we're accused of being arrogant, bad winners who go against the spirit of cricket. But when England did EXACTLY THAT to us in the 05 Ashes they were applauded for their hard, tough, no holds barred way of playing the game.

Yup damn these sub continentals !!!!!! They can't even win any thing from us and when they start losing then they cry !!!!

Fusion

Global Moderator
Ponting reacts. He would've done well to stick to Gavaskar's comments being "high and mighty". The part about India's recent poor form just made him look like an angry kid.
I didn't fully agree with Gavaskar's comments but Pointing's response is childish. Gavaskar acknowledged that Australia are the dominant team in the world with a superb record. I don't see how mentioning India's record has got anything to do with Gavaskar's point about Australia's supposed bad behavior. Pointing is too easily swayed by emotion IMO. This trait makes him a great competitor, but also leads to a lack of judgement on and off the field.

FRAZ

International Captain
I didn't fully agree with Gavaskar's comments but Pointing's response is childish. Gavaskar acknowledged that Australia are the dominant team in the world with a superb record. I don't see how mentioning India's record has got anything to do with Gavaskar's point about Australia's supposed bad behavior. Pointing is too easily swayed by emotion IMO. This trait makes him a great competitor, but also leads to a lack of judgement on and off the field.
Well for me Ponting's comments were like describing the problem again and again rather than finding a solution to solve it . I mean the problem with some people is that they admit that there is racial stupidity going on and in other statements they try to defend it and they try to match the "other's" common man to man aggression to their personal inner hatred filled comments .
Lunatic-ism , that's all I can say . Why they admit that "Yes" problem is there and then they turn around by digging record books to check where they can find some problem of the "other guys" . For example a guy dug up one odd issue of a false accusation i.e. Rashid Latif saying some player white sumthin ....
Same what Ponting did that he kept on discussing the problem by giving stupid examples . I mean he should have acted responsibly by not acting like a high school drop out . .......

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, I'm just trying to stir the pot a little. Have no real intentions because this same thread gets done about 25 times a year.

It's quite obvious the Aussie side at times crosses the boundary with their behaviour, and that offends people from the subcontinent more because of their culture and way of life more than it offends us, which leads to these arguments, which eventually will lead into somebody being called racist.

Just trying to speed up the process so it dies quicker.
For the larger part this thread has been calm and rationale discussion though and there was no indication that it was heading in that direction, tbh. And if you look at this, together with that thread on men being banned from a womens cricket game in Pakistan that could have got really heated, yet there was 20 or so pages of intelligent discussion, you would see that there has probably been a huge shift upwards around here and your fears may have been unwarranted.

(And I started the thread so leave it alone :p)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
On the frequent use of words like Gora and Kallu on the cricket field, why is that acceptable when pretty much any usage of the word "black" towards another player on the field by a white cricketer is a hanging offence? (It should be, but why is there a double standard?) Are they reciting Michael Jackson lyrics to themselves or something? And does your disavowal of the "illiterates" in the subcontinent teams like Afridi mean that the Australian team can disassociate themselves from the actions of some of our lesser intellectual figures? There are plenty of Australian cricketers of character who have never done anything wrong on a cricket field but still get tarred with the rather broad brushes wielded by the Gavaskars of this world.
First of all let me clarify - I have never heard the word Kallu/Gora on a cricket field. I have heard Afridi in a TV interview to a Pakistani channel using those words. So even the illiterates in the subcontinent team have not said ( or atleast caught saying) those words on the field. If they use it as frequently as you claim, then they will be caught because there are plenty of Sub-continent commentators out there, there is a huge sub-continent media covering cricket.

Gavaskar is not tarring anyone with any brush, he is simply saying some of the things a lot of people have obseved.

Laurrz

International Debutant

agreed... i guess some ppl just simply have anti-aussie behaviour :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting continues to prove Gavaskar Right.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well for me Ponting's comments were like describing the problem again and again rather than finding a solution to solve it . I mean the problem with some people is that they admit that there is racial stupidity going on and in other statements they try to defend it and they try to match the "other's" common man to man aggression to their personal inner hatred filled comments .
Lunatic-ism , that's all I can say . Why they admit that "Yes" problem is there and then they turn around by digging record books to check where they can find some problem of the "other guys" . For example a guy dug up one odd issue of a false accusation i.e. Rashid Latif saying some player white sumthin ....
Same what Ponting did that he kept on discussing the problem by giving stupid examples . I mean he should have acted responsibly by not acting like a high school drop out . .......
You keep on referring to "racist" and "family" comments.

Apart from Lehmann's outburst (for which he was duly punished), have u got any evidence of such comments ever being made?

pup11

International Coach
IMO, What Ricky wanted to say by mentioning India's record was that Gavaskar being involved in Indian cricket as a batting coach(at times) and also as a mentor to the current crop of players has failed to inspire them to do well.

So rather than criticising the aussie behaviour he should be concentrating on ways in which he could help the Indian team do well, because he doesn't seem to have much to say about the Indian cricket team.

pup11

International Coach
Its shocking to see 22 people vote "Yes" in the poll, i really can't understand how can anyone agree with Gavaskar's comments because his comments are dumb to say the least.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Right .... So why don't we chronoligically list all the alleged offences by all international cricketers and lets discuss and analyse as to which one are valid and from which team in order to maybe come to some consensus ?

It seems like a dead heat if we go by the votes aready casted.

adharcric

International Coach
IMO, What Ricky wanted to say by mentioning India's record was that Gavaskar being involved in Indian cricket as a batting coach(at times) and also as a mentor to the current crop of players has failed to inspire them to do well.

So rather than criticising the aussie behaviour he should be concentrating on ways in which he could help the Indian team do well, because he doesn't seem to have much to say about the Indian cricket team.
IMO, Ricky was just being a dork.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBH, I think eventually comments like these were going to come from Ponting. He seems naturally combative, and there have been a lot of comments of this sort directed at the side from during his tenure. This one from Gavaskar, which was unprovoked really (in terms of there not being an incident of note over the past week or anything, i.e. it isn't a current issue), was probably enough to have Ponting bite.