• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the exception of "matchwinner", "Racist" must surely be the most overused word in CW history.

adharcric

International Coach
With the exception of "matchwinner", "Racist" must surely be the most overused word in CW history.
Totally agree. You can't comprehend how I annoyed I get when Sehwag comes out to bat, departs in a few minutes like an idiot and all the commentators start the "but he's a matchwinner" orgasm. ****ing ridiculous.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm pretty sure I can (comprehend) because I get exactly the same with many, many (batsmen and bowlers). It used to annoy me more than ever in the Flintoff (of 2002) case.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stuff like this rarely fails to lead to damaging tete-a-tetes.

Why can't the Gavaskars of this World keep their mouths shut? 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't really get what Ponting was trying to say regarding Test match record, as Australia's record was never an issue.

With that said, Gavaskar can stick a sock in his mouth. Ponting is absolutely right.

FRAZ

International Captain

ex·ag·ger·ate

–verb (used with object)
1. to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate; represent disproportionately: to exaggerate the difficulties of a situation.
2. to increase or enlarge abnormally: Those shoes exaggerate the size of my feet.
–verb (used without object)
3. to employ exaggeration, as in speech or writing: a person who is always exaggerating.
hahahahahhahahaaahhaahahhahhahaaaaah !
wtf !
A pure self effort . Haven't seen it before ...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, no-one could say that Ponting's boring.

Most captains would've shrugged off the comments and thrown in a few staples like "we're just trying to concentrate on our own game."

Anyway, pretty much game, set and match to Ponting methinks

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Haha, I'm just trying to stir the pot a little. Have no real intentions because this same thread gets done about 25 times a year.

It's quite obvious the Aussie side at times crosses the boundary with their behaviour, and that offends people from the subcontinent more because of their culture and way of life more than it offends us, which leads to these arguments, which eventually will lead into somebody being called racist.

Just trying to speed up the process so it dies quicker.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seem to be managing to wind-up Dasa ITP, tho...

Not saying I don't see what you mean, but, well... can easily come across the wrong way.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Seem to be managing to wind-up Dasa ITP, tho...

Not saying I don't see what you mean, but, well... can easily come across the wrong way.
Yeah...having dealt with some pretty horrific racism in my life and still being judged because of race by too many people, I tend to be sensitive to such comments. Pretty surprised actually that dcye would make that comment, but the explanation clears things up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's quite obvious the Aussie side at times crosses the boundary with their behaviour, and that offends people from the subcontinent more because of their culture and way of life more than it offends us, which leads to these arguments, which eventually will lead into somebody being called racist.
Re-reading that it's actually one of the best explanations of said matter I've read.

As earlier - would be worthy of a sig-addition if my sig wasn't already so full...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I think Ponting's reaction was a little immature, but it got the job done. He could have done better than simply to have pointed the finger straight back at Sunny, but for all intents and purposes he is right. Would have far preferred him to retain some dignity in distancing himself from such allegations though, I'm sure he wouldn't have come off sounding so much like a kid who'd just been accused of starting a playground fight.