• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil blasts the Australians

Do you agree with Sunil Gavaskar’s assessment of the Australians?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Seriously Burgey wins hands-down here for quality of posts.

If he posted more he would be considered one of the best on the site.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
All true :)

I still think they should leave the Mics on during the match, I love the banter, it would also take out any racist remarks imo
Not Really. You are confusing on field aggression with personal abuse. And No I dont think Gavaskar is jealous of aussie success.

pasag

RTDAS
Really don't think so actually - several "pro-Australian" posters have specifically acknowledged that in several instances the behaviour of the team has been less than stellar, and guys like HB and Sanz have allowed that other teams are often guilty of similar behaviour as well - so its hardly two sets of extremists refusing to allow any debate....
Agree, has been an very good thread so far.

archie mac

International Coach
Not Really. You are confusing on field aggression with personal abuse. And No I dont think Gavaskar is jealous of aussie success.
Lost me a little here mate, not hard I know!:unsure:

Here in OZ there was a lot made of the fact that the Aussies were too friendly to the English, one Steve Waugh was quite vocal (that won't surprise you:laugh: )

Laurrz

International Debutant
Lost me a little here mate, not hard I know!:unsure:

Here in OZ there was a lot made of the fact that the Aussies were too friendly to the English, one Steve Waugh was quite vocal (that won't surprise you:laugh: )
doomed if u do doomed if u dont

Matt79

Global Moderator
First of all your points 1 and 5 are contradictory
I acknowledge that they are. I guess you could take it to mean that a) there's smoke in around any teams if you want to go look for it, and b) assuming that smoke=fire is a fraught practice.

Secondly - You couldn't produce a single instance of any subcontinent player using racisl abuse.
I did produce one, but as you correctly noted the charge was dismissed because the referee couldn't satisfy themselves as to what had actually been said. Grateful if from here on in, you would only cite specific examples by Australian players where they have been found guilty by an ICC appointed official, if that's the standard you expect others to maintain. In fact, all the contributions on this thread would be enhanced if such a standard was to be maintained.

Some of which are probably missed by the targets of that abuse because its said in Urdu or Hindi.
Lastly it is your assumption that Subcontinent players do that in Hindi/Urdu, because at least 50% of Indian team, Entire SriLankan and BD team doesn't speak/understand any Hindi/Urdu.

That said, I will agree with you that a lot of time Hindi/Urdu speaking Subcontinent players do use the term Gora/Kallu(White/Black). Although I have never heard players like Sachin/Ganguly/Rahul/Laxman etc say that..it is only the illiterates like Afridi do it.
If you look at what I said, I never said that the Sri Lankans or Bangladeshis spoke Hindi or Urdu, or that ALL the sledging occurred in those languages. I said SOME happens in those languages, and obviously I could have mentioned the other languages, but didn't for the sake of brevity... On the frequent use of words like Gora and Kallu on the cricket field, why is that acceptable when pretty much any usage of the word "black" towards another player on the field by a white cricketer is a hanging offence? (It should be, but why is there a double standard?) Are they reciting Michael Jackson lyrics to themselves or something? And does your disavowal of the "illiterates" in the subcontinent teams like Afridi mean that the Australian team can disassociate themselves from the actions of some of our lesser intellectual figures? There are plenty of Australian cricketers of character who have never done anything wrong on a cricket field but still get tarred with the rather broad brushes wielded by the Gavaskars of this world.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Commented during the world cup for their 'overly-aggressive' attitude and playing style.
You simply cannot accept that Australian sporting culture is way too win-oriented and as a result, produces way too many yobs who are loud, boisterious and totally uncouth compared to any other culture i've heard of.
Yeah, they were commented because they almost beat Holland in a friendly and Luke Wilkshire made one bad tackle. 8-) How this tarnishes the Socceroos as a whole, or Australians as a whole, is beyond me. There is absolutely no sane basis for such a generalisation. You are just stereotyping again.

No. Aussie team = uncouth. Thats the biggest reason to hate them.
WIndies were #1 for longer and in more comprehensive fashion than the Aussies and they were loved.
Brazilian soccer team is #1 and its loved.
Sorry, no it isn't. You make 3 generalizations in the above:

- Aussies aren't uncouth.
- Windies weren't angels or loved by all.
- Brazilian football team isn't #1 and isn't loved by all.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I said in my post, most of the Aussies of the current bunch are tremendous blokes off the field. But you wont find too many Indians who love their antics on the field. They are most generally disliked and in some cases, hated.
I never said they were the only team. But it is rather obvious they do it more regularly than most other teams and they were the pioneers in this.

And the reason why everyone notices, as others have already said in this thread, is because they do happen to be the champions of this era and whether you like it or not, champions of any sport are expected to set an example in terms of conduct and behaviour on the field is concerned. They basically REPRESENT the sport for people who are not avid followers of the game. My mom knows next to nothing about tennis, but she thinks it is a lovely game because of everything she has read (and seen on the odd occassions, when I get to watch some tennis) about Federer.

I know that New Zealand, England, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, RSA and heck INdia themselves have all been sledgers on a lot of occassions but in the middle of the 90s etc., I can easily say that Aussies did it far more regularly than any other team. It was just obvious. So many players, columnists and casual fans can't ALL be wrong about something that you just pick up through observation.
The fact that McGrath, Gillespie, Lee (against NZ and Eng), Warney (when he is being hit to all parts, which is not that often, to be fair to him), Hayden (his comments always make me wonder how he has two full feet to stand on, considering how many times he would have had to put it in his mouth) are all easily worse than Sreesanth does nothing to you?

The single most worst behaved team I have witnessed in my time of watching cricket is AUSTRALIA. Blokes like Border, Jones, and the lot I just mentioned above, idiots like Fleming shouting off at SAchin for umpire not giving him out (not banter, personal insults), McGrath insulting everybody's family at every given opportunity and then getting angry because Sarwan responded to a sledge with a sledge which implicated his wife (hypocrisy, anyone?).... It is easy to see why. It is all the more perplexing simply because some of these guys are absolute gems when one meets them off the field.
u really want me to list out how many times Aussies would have said "I ll kill you" and stuff to that effect and has been documented?
trust me, there were dodgy calls against INdi as well. Laxman was 50 odd and wasn't out in the first dig when he was given out. I remember the Gilly shocker in that test, but the Laxman one was a shocker too. And there were a couple of times Hayden was out but wasn't given out. And Steve Waugh nicked the ball when he was on 30 odd off Prasad and was given not out off an obvious nick. And all these decisions were given by S.K.Bansal.
so we find an Aussie behaving in the worst way possible on a cricket field and it is the "worst" example?

This isn't like the "Warney was poor because he was bowling through injuries in 2001 in India and against Bangladesh a year or so ago", is it?
did u watch the match?
lol, got time only today. had a busy saturday. :)
yep, and who do you think they are generally inspired by? And either way, even if the others are just as bad (and they are, I am not disputing that), the champions will always get noticed that bit more. Its how it is. If India become champions over the next 5 years and behave this way, I will say the same about them. Champions have to set the standards.
did u laugh when Slater apologized or do u still believe that cooked up "I m under stress" pile of garbage?
yeah, u dont really apprecaite euphemisms, do you?
didn't u watch McGrath's efforts at time wasting in Laxman's test? THAT was pathetic.
As I ve said earlier, other teams do it, but Aussies were doing it earlier than most from what I remember. Plus, as champions, they are the ones to set the examples, no matter how bad the others are.
As I ve said earlier, other teams do it, but Aussies were doing it earlier than most from what I remember. Plus, as champions, they are the ones to set the examples, no matter how bad the others are.

Plus, when did I ever say that Aussies were the biggest problem in cricket? They are, in the sense that they keep winning and it is not doing the game any great good ( ;) ) but that aside, I never said that their behaviour was a big problem. But I do think that the Windies of the 70s and 80s would be remembered a bit more fondly than the current Aussie side. They have always been an aggressive bunch who have taken it one step too far on a no. of occassions earlier too but it has just gotten to another level AND it has also started to come into notice far more now, because they are the undisputed champs of the game for over a decade.

And believe it or not, people will like to find faults with champions. Everyone does that. Are you blokes honestly telling me that Aussies (current or former) wont make such critiques about another team which becomes #1 and stays there for the next decade, lets say. It is part and parcel of being #1 and it always happens. Doesn't mean every point of the criticism is false, though.

And yeah, they did behave like spoilt brats in India in 2001. Check out McGrath and Warne and Gillespie and all the stuff that was said (and thrown) at Laxman and Dravid on the 4th day. They have generally been nice guys off the field, surprise, surprise, its not like we didn't know that before. And of all those instances, everyone of them has happened post 2000 and a no. of stuff that I said happened before that.

And do me a favour and try to list out all your instances by team and then compare that with my list about Australia. What you have basically done is given me a "rest of the world" list. I said that they were worse behaved than most teams. Get it?

And again, you really want me to list out how many times Aussies have questioned another batsman's guts (Reg. the stuff about Lara). What next? You gonna tell me about Parthiv's pathetic attempt at sledging Steve Waugh?

And BTW, how many times have captains refused a drink to a batsman (not even to drink, to just wash his hands and head, a Hindu custom if you have accidentally the death of an animal)? And remember this happened in 1980s? But of course, you will have an amazing counter to it with something that happened in 2003, wont you?

And of course, Steve Waugh helping out an orphanage in Calcutta means he was an angel on the field, doesn't it? You even have any idea why I keep repeating the fact that most of the Aussies are amazing guys off the field. And the Aussie fans are one of the best bunches you can talk to in a cricket ground. I have had the experience four times and it was always fun. Those guys are extremely nice and sporting and always take banter as well as anyone. But obviously, all that means that Aussies are the best behaved side in world cricket of all time, right?

And it is not like other cricketers from other countries dont do nice things. But that has no relevance here, so I will stop, even though you didn't.

And Ponting's suggestion would have worked if only any other Aussie batsman had shown any kind of trust on a fielder's word, before. Lara accepted Mark Waugh's word and walked off in 2000 and in the same match, Langer refused to accept Lara's word and stayed on. But don't let facts get in your way or anything. Continue the rant.

P.S: I do think Punter's suggestion is absurd. Jayawardene claimed a bump ball catch off Punter himself. I am sure he has said second thoughts about that idea of his since then. ;)
hbh doing his best impression of me here... top stuff, 14 out of 16. :thumbsup:

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, they were commented because they almost beat Holland in a friendly and Luke Wilkshire made one bad tackle. How this tarnishes the Socceroos as a whole, or Australians as a whole, is beyond me. There is absolutely no sane basis for such a generalisation. You are just stereotyping again.
Meet CC.

And Richard how long did that take? :mellow: :p

Quality use of the multi quote.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sunil Gavaskar is nothing but a racist, over the hill fool who just sits back and takes pot shots at teams, unless it's India. He has NOTHING to say about issues like ball tampering and drug taking, but he decides to come out and have a whinge about the nation that has slaughtered his team in the last few years.

Remind me, is Sunil not an ICC Official? If so will he be called to explain why he felt the need to abuse us? If not then my case that the ICC is biased towards India shall be well and truly proven true.

pup11

International Coach
Yup, Gavaskar is an ICC official which only makes his comments regarding the aussies even more shocking, since he is an ICC representive he needs to make sure that he is unbiased in his opinion.

Gavaskar doesn't miss a single chance to pull the Aussies down, he made a huge issue about Matro pushing the Indian minister [Sharad Pawar](which surely wasn't intentional) during C-T final presentation ceremony.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Sunil Gavaskar is nothing but a racist, over the hill fool who just sits back and takes pot shots at teams, unless it's India. He has NOTHING to say about issues like ball tampering and drug taking, but he decides to come out and have a whinge about the nation that has slaughtered his team in the last few years.

Remind me, is Sunil not an ICC Official? If so will he be called to explain why he felt the need to abuse us? If not then my case that the ICC is biased towards India shall be well and truly proven true.
I don't think so. I don't remember Malcom Speed being asked to explain his comments about the drugs issue.
btw, the only point I am making is that the ICC is indiscriminatory in its incompetence.

FRAZ

International Captain
We've mainly been saying that we think some people, like Gavaskar, might be unfairly exaggerating.
I can see where you are going and you don't have to start off any conversation with a lingual diss or whatever . Have noticed you many times being over smart while answering to my posts .
Anyways who is "we" ? A group of people , clan , tribe or what ?
And the stupid and ridiculous word that I hear all the time in such cases is exaggeration . e.g.
Sunil over - exaggerated , Pakistani players over-exaggerated , this exaggerated ,that exaggerated bla bla bla ..So how to perform this bloody exaggeration ? Sunil described some thing and thats it . How to say such things then ? Can you please teach exaggeration ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I can see where you are going and you don't have to start off any conversation with a lingual diss or whatever . Have noticed you many times being over smart while answering to my posts .
Anyways who is "we" ? A group of people , clan , tribe or what ?
And the stupid and ridiculous word that I hear all the time in such cases is exaggeration . e.g.
Sunil over - exaggerated , Pakistani players over-exaggerated , this exaggerated ,that exaggerated bla bla bla ..So how to perform this bloody exaggeration ? Sunil described some thing and thats it . How to say such things then ? Can you please teach exaggeration ?

ex·ag·ger·ate

–verb (used with object)
1. to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate; represent disproportionately: to exaggerate the difficulties of a situation.
2. to increase or enlarge abnormally: Those shoes exaggerate the size of my feet.
–verb (used without object)
3. to employ exaggeration, as in speech or writing: a person who is always exaggerating.