• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar's book "Controversially Yours"

salman85

International Debutant
Exactly centurymaker.Leave it to the media to sensationalize things.

This doesn't imply that Shoaib will not make accusations right left and center,but hey,guess what?Everyone from Wasim to Amir was accused of matchfixing.Guess who wasnn't?Shoaib.Yes,hate him for the attitude,hate him for the antics,hate him for his big mouth,but not a single finger was pointed at him during his career as far as match fixing goes,and that is saying a lot for a player who belongs to a country where every 2nd player is accused of fixing matches,and this was no ordinary player,this was one of the biggest crowd pullers in the game,and an automatic preference for bookies i would assume.Massive respect to the man for this alone.

Agreeing or disagreeing with Shoaib is another thing,but i love the man's honesty.He's not afraid to speak his mind,never did during his playing days,and still isn't.He's an honest man who will just end up pissing a lot of people off because he will speak his mind everytime.

Oh and for the record,i don't think the part about Wasim sabotaging his career is wrong.Wasim despite being the genius he was,did have insecurity issues with other players who would outperform him.It is a well known fact that he had a role to play in Waqar's decline,and i won't rule out him making some effort here and there to have a negative effect on Shoaib's career.

Anyway,long story short,despite the controversies,despite the big mouth,i have never ever questioned Shoaib's commitment to the side.I have questioned Wasim's commitment at times,i have questioned Waqar's commitment at times,i have questioned Inzi,Anwar,Mushtaq etc's commitment at times,but i never did that with Shoaib.He lived a rockstar's life,but gave 110% on the field everytime his body allowed him.The clean match fixing record,where he was never even accused of the hideous crime let alone be found guilty of it speaks volumes for the man.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Shoaib is a great character and has always managed to entertain me during his career. I really hope the book spills dark secrets about the PCB.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Wasim Akram tried to ruined my career

Sachin and Dravid are not match winners
This clearly highlights the difference between class and trash, IMHO.

What do sportsmen of class do? Let their sport do the talking. Pick up 414 test wickets and end up as a legendary bowler or score over 10,000 test runs and be rightly acknowledged among the greats of the game. Their superb work ethic and dedication towards their profession ensured that they had long, fruitful careers.

What does the trash do? Flat bats teammates for a six, snorts coke in between matches and picks up a few decent wickets on the way; generally being a burden on the team throughout the duration of his career. And after retiring prematurely (due to a laughable work ethic and general lack of fitness), he shows real class by attacking legends of the game in a pathetic attempt to sell his life story.

What a great advertisement for the sport? 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think I can ever dislike Shoaib despite his very best efforts to make me.
This. This so much.

Tendulkar and Dravid are two of my favourite cricketers, and if he sprays them, I couldn't give a ****.

WAG :laugh:

Fusion

Global Moderator

What do sportsmen of class do? Let their sport do the talking. Pick up 414 test wickets and end up as a legendary bowler or score over 10,000 test runs and be rightly acknowledged among the greats of the game. Their superb work ethic and dedication towards their profession ensured that they had long, fruitful careers.

What does the trash do? Flat bats teammates for a six, snorts coke in between matches and picks up a few decent wickets on the way; generally being a burden on the team throughout the duration of his career. And after retiring prematurely (due to a laughable work ethic and general lack of fitness), he shows real class by attacking legends of the game in a pathetic attempt to sell his life story.

:notworthy You can also add "shoves his coach away when he doesn't like what he's hearing (forward to 23 seconds)" to the trash list. Like I said, a complete ass.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This. This so much.

Tendulkar and Dravid are two of my favourite cricketers, and if he sprays them, I couldn't give a ****.

WAG :laugh:
yep... Guy's got an ego as big as his tummy but it is juz so difficult to dislike him. As salman points out, in a country where every other player looked like they had fixed games, he always put in genuine effort. So as stupid as the stuff in the book seems to be, I still like him. :)

tooextracool

International Coach

Not entirely sure what Akram has done to be completely above criticism. Without wishing to defend Akthar, the reality is that Akram was at the center of almost every scandal to hit Pakistan cricket and had it not been for the laxity of Mohammad Qayyum, it is quite likely that Akram would have gone the same way as Salim Malik or Ata-ur-Rehman. Given the kind of allegations already made against Akram by several of his own teammates, its not exactly a preposterous suggestion.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think Akhrar's appeal was how he fit the bad, fast bowler image. He was one of the few guys around who consistently posed the threat of destruction by pace.

I also love the way he tries to fake a western accent when speaking English when his grammar is all ****ed up :laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not entirely sure what Akram has done to be completely above criticism. Without wishing to defend Akthar, the reality is that Akram was at the center of almost every scandal to hit Pakistan cricket and had it not been for the laxity of Mohammad Qayyum, it is quite likely that Akram would have gone the same way as Salim Malik or Ata-ur-Rehman. Given the kind of allegations already made against Akram by several of his own teammates, its not exactly a preposterous suggestion.
The point is the criticism is coming from someone who has no credibility himself. I like Akhtar but there is no reason why I should believe him on all the allegations he has made against Akram.

smash84

The Tiger King
Exactly centurymaker.Leave it to the media to sensationalize things.

This doesn't imply that Shoaib will not make accusations right left and center,but hey,guess what?Everyone from Wasim to Amir was accused of matchfixing.Guess who wasnn't?Shoaib.Yes,hate him for the attitude,hate him for the antics,hate him for his big mouth,but not a single finger was pointed at him during his career as far as match fixing goes,and that is saying a lot for a player who belongs to a country where every 2nd player is accused of fixing matches,and this was no ordinary player,this was one of the biggest crowd pullers in the game,and an automatic preference for bookies i would assume.Massive respect to the man for this alone.

Agreeing or disagreeing with Shoaib is another thing,but i love the man's honesty.He's not afraid to speak his mind,never did during his playing days,and still isn't.He's an honest man who will just end up pissing a lot of people off because he will speak his mind everytime.

Oh and for the record,i don't think the part about Wasim sabotaging his career is wrong.Wasim despite being the genius he was,did have insecurity issues with other players who would outperform him.It is a well known fact that he had a role to play in Waqar's decline,and i won't rule out him making some effort here and there to have a negative effect on Shoaib's career.

Anyway,long story short,despite the controversies,despite the big mouth,i have never ever questioned Shoaib's commitment to the side.I have questioned Wasim's commitment at times,i have questioned Waqar's commitment at times,i have questioned Inzi,Anwar,Mushtaq etc's commitment at times,but i never did that with Shoaib.He lived a rockstar's life,but gave 110% on the field everytime his body allowed him.The clean match fixing record,where he was never even accused of the hideous crime let alone be found guilty of it speaks volumes for the man.
You have made some valid points but Shoaib was a lazy ass individual who did not want to put in the required hard work to become a great cricketer. His commitment to fitness was very very questionable

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Salman85 said:
All I'll say is that you're easily pleased if you're happy with the commitment of a player who has barely been fit enough to play any meaningful international cricket in the last 5 years.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
wasted talent, he had all the attributes to be the bowler of his generation but instead will settle for some bit part role in bollywood, not a winners mentality, and thats reflected in the lack of cricket he played

chicane

State Captain
As usual with Shoaib this has got to be a mix of truth and bull****, a mix of bitter outspokenness and attention seeking. What a guy, on and off the field.