• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar's book "Controversially Yours"

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he went through his career doing what he liked, being happy and just not giving a ****.

Xuhaib

International Coach
heard he had a go at Afretard various times in the book can't wait to get my hands on it now.:laugh:

salman85

International Debutant
You have made some valid points but Shoaib was a lazy ass individual who did not want to put in the required hard work to become a great cricketer. His commitment to fitness was very very questionable
Shoaib was controversial,and always ended up ruffling the wrong feathers.Yes,his fitness level was poor,but i would hardly call him lazy.

All I'll say is that you're easily pleased if you're happy with the commitment of a player who has barely been fit enough to play any meaningful international cricket in the last 5 years.
His absence is not down to fitness alone.Fintness was a factor,but a large part of it was down to his constant run ins with the board and people at the helm.Either way,i'm talking about his commitment when he stepped on the field.He wanted to play for Pakistan,and always wanted to win,unlike some of our previous greats who despite achieving more in the game,will always have a question mark over whether they actually wanted to win everytime they stepped on the field.Despite being a lesser cricketer than Wasim for example,Shoaib's commitment to winning on the field was stronger than Wasim's.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib was controversial,and always ended up ruffling the wrong feathers.Yes,his fitness level was poor,but i would hardly call him lazy.

His absence is not down to fitness alone.Fintness was a factor,but a large part of it was down to his constant run ins with the board and people at the helm.Either way,i'm talking about his commitment when he stepped on the field.He wanted to play for Pakistan,and always wanted to win,unlike some of our previous greats who despite achieving more in the game,will always have a question mark over whether they actually wanted to win everytime they stepped on the field.Despite being a lesser cricketer than Wasim for example,Shoaib's commitment to winning on the field was stronger than Wasim's.
I think you are contradicting yourself. One place you say that Shoaib's commitment to win was stronger than Wasim's and then you say that his fitness level was poor. It doesn't make sense to me, If he had the commitment, why was his fitness poor ?

If Shoaib wanted to play for Pakistan, why didn't he ? How many tests did he play after Wasim's retirement ? I believe he played for another 8-9 years more years after Wasim retired.

I love Shoaib and great fan and I think a lot of thing he says about the book is probably true as well but Shoaib seriously lacked commitment and the discipline that was required of him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah ridiculous to praise Shoaib's commitment the main reason his fitness got worse is he became fat sure its not easy to bowl 90+ and remain fit even Brett Lee struggles with it but Shoaib lack of commitment to his fitness meant he stayed on the injury table longer then Lee despite being more talented then Lee he has achieved less then what Lee did.

Shoaib may not have been involved in match fixing but seriously are we going to praise someone for not being a match fixer its like praising a mother for being good to her kids.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Amul guys are ****ing awesome :laugh:

For those not familiar with Amul and don't understand the transliterated Hindi:

Amul makes milk products and over many decades has made these clever ads with witty and sarcastic one-two liners. "phekta" literally means "throws" but also means "lies in order to exaggerate". So what the ad says is that Shoaib threw before (in the sense of chucking) and he throws now (in the sense of exaggerating and lying).

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
btw this Shoab vs Sachin fanboys feud has been hilarious.

Attention seeking idiot vs in secured worshipers.

Reckon Shoaib is going to win it as they are going to buy it in droves and Shoaib will be laughing all the way to the bank.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
btw this Shoab vs Sachin fanboys feud has been hilarious.

Attention seeking idiot vs in secured worshipers.

Reckon Shoaib is going to win it as they are going to buy it in droves and Shoaib will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Must be fun following it. Haven't visited any of "lulz" forums.

salman85

International Debutant
I think you are contradicting yourself. One place you say that Shoaib's commitment to win was stronger than Wasim's and then you say that his fitness level was poor. It doesn't make sense to me, If he had the commitment, why was his fitness poor ?

If Shoaib wanted to play for Pakistan, why didn't he ? How many tests did he play after Wasim's retirement ? I believe he played for another 8-9 years more years after Wasim retired.

I love Shoaib and great fan and I think a lot of thing he says about the book is probably true as well but Shoaib seriously lacked commitment and the discipline that was required of him.
I'm talking about the commitment of a fully fit Shoaib on the field.He never took money to underperform during his career,nor was he ever even remotley linked to a bookie during his career.Wasim on the other hand,has a history of match fixing allegations and probably got off lightly with the Qayyum Report as a poster rightly mentioned,so yes,Shoaib's commitment to win when he stepped on the field was greater than Wasim's.

His commitment towards maintaining the required level of fitness wasn't as great as Wasim's,but again,his absence from so many matches is not down to fitness issues alone.It's down to misconduct also.

yeah ridiculous to praise Shoaib's commitment the main reason his fitness got worse is he became fat sure its not easy to bowl 90+ and remain fit even Brett Lee struggles with it but Shoaib lack of commitment to his fitness meant he stayed on the injury table longer then Lee despite being more talented then Lee he has achieved less then what Lee did.

Shoaib may not have been involved in match fixing but seriously are we going to praise someone for not being a match fixer its like praising a mother for being good to her kids.
Or it's like expecting you to come up with one half-decent post after 6 years of wasted energy on the keyboard that would have been better utilized had you spent 3 hours at a nail salon getting a manicure everyday for 6 years.

Read what i said.Not what you think i said.I'm talking about his commitment to win when he stepped on the field.Not when he was at home hogging down Pizzas and Burgers.

And yes,we are going to praise a player for not fixing matches.Especially since he was the most controversial player of his generation along with being one of the biggest crowd pullers,and belonged to a country where every major cricket star has been accused of match fixing at some point in time.Not having a single accusation against himself is something that deserves a lot of respect.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
In addition to Salman.

This is an extract from his book
My knees used to fill with water, I had so many knee-surgeries: Shoaib Akhtar

It’s a miracle that I have played this much as I had nearly 7 knee surgeries. People come to wheel-chairs after this many surgeries.

I used to cry with pain. My knees used to be filled with water and I had to take out that water every day. Even during match days, I used to go to hospital at early 5.00am and fill bowls with water, taken out from my knees. I have still kept that water but ab tu khair diesel ban gya ho ga [now the water must have turned into diesel]. I have played Cricket in such circumstances but I played as I promised to serve my country.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Or it's like expecting you to come up with one half-decent post after 6 years of wasted energy on the keyboard that would have been better utilized had you spent 3 hours at a nail salon getting a manicure everyday for 6 years.
Cut out the insults please. Play the post, not the poster. There’s no reason to get aggressive just because something derogatory is being said about a player you adore.

asif082

Cricket Spectator
Answer to 8ankitj

lulz. Shoaib waz d bowler hu waz cryin wen schin hit shoaib 4 sixerzz. lulz

That's what thousands of Indian fans must be posting in various places on web. What would the Pakistani fans be replying back?
Well a Pakistani fan will be reply back by saying "Did you forgot Eden Garden bowled refresh your memory and search youtube" it happens to be Rahul and Sachin...... by they way if you read the book then Shoaib he is specifically talking about one incident.. there is no doubt about Sachin ability but he is not a match winner like Kapil Dev or Jayasuriya or Imran khan...

Thats all....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well a Pakistani fan will be reply back by saying "Did you forgot Eden Garden bowled refresh your memory and search youtube" it happens to be Rahul and Sachin...... by they way if you read the book then Shoaib he is specifically talking about one incident.. there is no doubt about Sachin ability but he is not a match winner like Kapil Dev or Jayasuriya or Imran khan...

Thats all....
I don't think any Indian fan who watched the game in 1999 will ever forget what Shoaib did in that test match. And perhaps Shoaib's comments are justified based on Tendulkar's/Dravid's batting in the tests they played together, He probably had the edge at least in the matches when the pitches were not roads.

But your comment about Tendulkar/Dravid not being winners is absolute garbage.