• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second best fast attack in the history

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
From whichever angle the Tests were and are studied, the speed bowling of Lindwall, ably backed by Miller and Johnston, constituted the biggest single weapon on either side.
The pace of Lindwall in particular his skidding bumper, backed by Niller's shear pace and not to think the Johnston was slow.
Lindwall bore a major part in England's defeats. Not only did he combine controlled pace and accuracy, which allowed batsmen few moments of respite, but he helped bowlers at the other end to their triumphs because, worried by Lindwall, batsmen often took undue risks in their efforts to score from his colleagues. Lindwall introduced an additional source of concern to batsmen by the employment of the extra fast bumper.

SeamUp

International Coach
No particular order. Just trying to list the options.

Adcock-Heine-Goddard
P.Pollock-Procter-van der Bijl-Hanley-Rice-Barlow
Le Roux-Jefferies-van Zyl-Page-Rice
Donald-Fanie-Schultz-Snell/Matthews-McMillan
Donald-S.Pollock-Ntini-Klusener-Kallis
Steyn-Philander-Morkel-Kallis
Hall-Griffith
Holding-Marshall-Garner-Roberts-Daniel-Croft-Clarke
Ambrose-Bishop-Patterson-Walsh
Larwood-Voce
Bedser-Trueman-Statham-Tyson
Willis-Snow/Hendrick/Dilley-Botham-Greig
Gough-Caddick-Fraser
Hoggard-Harmison-Jones-Flintoff
Anderson-Broad
Lindwall-Davidson-Miller
McKenzie-Connolly
Lillee-Thompson-Walker
Lawson-Hogg-Rackermann-Alderman
McDermott-Hughes-Reid
McDermott-McGrath-Fleming
McGrath-Gillespie-Lee-Kasprowicz-Clark
Johnson-Harris-Siddle
Wasim-Waqar-Imran-Aqib Javed
Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib
Asif-Amir-Gul (What could have been?)
Hadlee-Morrison-Chatfield
Bond/Nash-Martin-Cairns

The individuals : Syd Barnes, Sarfaraz Nawaz, Kapil Dev, Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan, Jack Cowie, Dick Motz, Heath Streak, Chaminda Vaas etc ?

currently on the go & have to keep going?

Hazlewood-Cummins-Starc-Pattinson
Southee-Boult-Henry-Milne-Bracewell
Wood-Finn-Stokes
Rabada-Abbott
Junaid-Rahat-Wahab
Ishant-Yadav-Bhuv Kumar-Aaron-Shami
Taylor-Roach-Gabriel-Holder
Prasad-Pradeep-Chameera-Eranga-Lakmal

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran had almost given up strike bowling in test cricket by the time Waqar came through.

Probably Donald, Pollock, Fannie DV, Schultz

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must be Lillee and Thomson, only in Aus in 74/75 and 75/76 though - we doped the wickets here in 75 (understandably) and Thommo was never the same again after his injury in 76/77

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran-Wasim-Waqar?
Tough to beat, albeit these particular three weren't together that long. Even then, Pakistan didn't lose much by having guys like Aaqib backing them up but the W's were dominant.

harsh.ag

Lindwall-Miller-Davidson played 9 games together, in which Miller and Davidson had average performances.

Imran-Wasim-Waqar played 11 games together, in which Imran bowled in 11 innings compared to Wasim's and Waqar's 19 innings.

Lillee-Thommo-Walker played 12 games together where Walker didn't have the best time (39 wickets@35.82 and SR 85). Gilmour was much better with the first two, but they only played 6 games together.

Bedser-Trueman-Statham/Tyson never played together. Trueman-Tyson-Statham played 1 game together.

McDermott-Hughes-Reid played 9 games together, where Merv wasn't at his best (26 wickets@35.76 and SR 74). Alderman didn't play a trio with them for more than 2-3 matches.

So, coming back to an earlier post:

Defining three pacers as an attack, the three having played a significant number of tests together in which they performed admirably.

Best - Marshall, Holding, Garner (26 tests)
Second best - Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh (28 tests)
Sounds about right. In both the trios, all the bowlers had a fantastic record while bowling together :)

No particular order. Just trying to list the options.

Adcock-Heine-Goddard
P.Pollock-Procter-van der Bijl-Hanley-Rice-Barlow
Le Roux-Jefferies-van Zyl-Page-Rice
Donald-Fanie-Schultz-Snell/Matthews-McMillan
Donald-S.Pollock-Ntini-Klusener-Kallis
Steyn-Philander-Morkel-Kallis
Hall-Griffith
Holding-Marshall-Garner-Roberts-Daniel-Croft-Clarke
Ambrose-Bishop-Patterson-Walsh
Larwood-Voce
Bedser-Trueman-Statham-Tyson
Willis-Snow/Hendrick/Dilley-Botham-Greig
Gough-Caddick-Fraser
Hoggard-Harmison-Jones-Flintoff
Anderson-Broad
Lindwall-Davidson-Miller
McKenzie-Connolly
Lillee-Thompson-Walker
Lawson-Hogg-Rackermann-Alderman
McDermott-Hughes-Reid
McDermott-McGrath-Fleming
McGrath-Gillespie-Lee-Kasprowicz-Clark
Johnson-Harris-Siddle
Wasim-Waqar-Imran-Aqib Javed
Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib
Asif-Amir-Gul (What could have been?)
Hadlee-Morrison-Chatfield
Bond/Nash-Martin-Cairns

The individuals : Syd Barnes, Sarfaraz Nawaz, Kapil Dev, Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan, Jack Cowie, Dick Motz, Heath Streak, Chaminda Vaas etc ?

currently on the go & have to keep going?

Hazlewood-Cummins-Starc-Pattinson
Southee-Boult-Henry-Milne-Bracewell
Wood-Finn-Stokes
Rabada-Abbott
Junaid-Rahat-Wahab
Ishant-Yadav-Bhuv Kumar-Aaron-Shami
Taylor-Roach-Gabriel-Holder
Prasad-Pradeep-Chameera-Eranga-Lakmal
Okay - I am thorughly impressed by this post.

But what intrigues me more is how does your wife feel about cricket?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Okay - I am thorughly impressed by this post.

But what intrigues me more is how does your wife feel about cricket?
In my experience wives and cricket are a dreadful combination as the former expect you to prioritise them over the latter, something that is only appropriate very occasionally, if ever

fredfertang

Not if your wife likes cricket as much as you do :)
I suppose the law of averages suggests I should find one of those eventually, although I am reminded of the one about the monkeys, the typewriters and the complete works of Shakespeare

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
When your 2 wedding presents are Ashes tickets and afternoon tea in the Long Room at Lords, you know you've hit the jackpot.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Guys, I am interested about fast bowling attack. So the quality of the 3rd pacer do matter. Thommo-Lillee was followed by Hogg / Pascoe IIRC. I am not sure how good were these bowlers compared to 3rd seam option WI / Pakistan or SAF had.
There was a string of great WI pace attacks with 3 or even 4 top-class fast bowlers.

Same isn't true of Pakistan, though, I think. They had two great pairs in the late 80s and 90s: Imran/Wasim and then Waqar/Wasim. The third seamer behind each of those pairs was relatively mediocre.

harsh.ag

If one does not wish to accept Marshall-Ambrose-Walsh as the answer, then the following have good records (along with the sufficient games condition):

1. Willis-Botham-Hendrick - 17 games, 204 wickets between them, all averaging below 25. But all of this was done in the Packer weakened era.

2. Steyn-Morkel-Philander - 30 games, 353 wickets between them, Steyn and Philander averaging 21, and Morkel 29 with an SR of 60.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
If one does not wish to accept Marshall-Ambrose-Walsh as the answer, then the following have good records (along with the sufficient games condition):

1. Willis-Botham-Hendrick - 17 games, 204 wickets between them, all averaging below 25. But all of this was done in the Packer weakened era.

2. Steyn-Morkel-Philander - 30 games, 353 wickets between them, Steyn and Philander averaging 21, and Morkel 29 with an SR of 60.
Additionally, Lindwall-Miller-Johnston - 36 games, 391 wickets between them, all averaging between 22-24. And against some pretty impressive England and WI batting line-ups.

harsh.ag

After all the stats are done and dusted (and excluding all combinations of the great Windies bowlers), I would personally take Lillee-Thommo-Gilmour. Just 6 games together though.