• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanga's test retirement

andmark

International Captain
Great player who could probably play for years more if he wanted. One of the best.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huge hole for the side, would say bigger loss than any of the great players to retire in the last 5 years for their respective sides as Sanga is still brilliant and shows no sign of decline.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Such an elegant, smooth batsman. There was Mark Waugh, there was Lara and there is Sanga now, just. Savour it till it lasts.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Cricket's greatest batsman right now and has been for so, so long.

He's seen so many batsmen compete with him for the title since 2007 - Hussey, Pietersen. MoYo, YK, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Kallis, Amla, Clarke, ABDv - but he's been the only constant. He's been the one batsman in the last decade to always be right around the top.*

Magnificent to watch as well. One of those players who we're lucky to have watched about and will always talk about.

He's ****ing dominating the WC so far and is the best batsman by far at this point. Would be epic if he can win for SL.

* - I guess you could say Chanders is the same as well but Sanga in a different class anyway.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Criminal, really.

His call, but every cricket fan should weep at the decision.
Indeed.

Bowlers everywhere will be breathing a sigh of relief though, he's been taking the piss the last year. Almost as if he's made a conscious effort to sign off by showing everyone just how ****ing good he is.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That cover drive is going to be ever so juicier as he gets to the end.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I put it to you that if he played for Aus, Eng or Ind and was being paid properly by his Board he would play longer.

He is literally retiring on top, which some people seem to think is important for legacy reasons, but not me. I prefer to like to see a player keep going until they no longer want to. He obviously no longer wants to play on here too, as he is choosing to retire, but imo he'd want to play on if he was being treater properly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I put it to you that if he played for Aus, Eng or Ind and was being paid properly by his Board he would play longer.

He is literally retiring on top, which some people seem to think is important for legacy reasons, but not me. I prefer to like to see a player keep going until they no longer want to. He obviously no longer wants to play on here too, as he is choosing to retire, but imo he'd want to play on if he was being treater properly.
i.e. FU SLC

viriya

International Captain
He gave the impression in an interview during the Eng tour that he wanted to get to a 60 average - there was a possibility if he had another amazing year or two, but looks like he won't try to go for it anymore sadly.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, gonna be sad to see him go. Should be a rule that once you pass 35, you can only retire when your average drops below your age :ph34r:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Can England buy his services?

irfan

State Captain
Sad, sad day for cricket when Sanga calls it a day.

Was really hoping he had another tour of SA/Aus in him and he could sign-off in style with tons in testing conditions so he fill in that one hole in his brilliant record.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably the second best batsman out of the subcontinent (at worst third behind Gavaskar) and quite possibly the most under appreciated cricketer of our generation. Well among the pantheon of the greatest lefties ever as well.

All the greats are leaving, sad indeed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's going to be very sad to see him go. He has a bright future ahead of him in commentary/coaching/whatever else he decides. What a player, what a guy. His Spirit of Cricket lecture should be required listening/reading for everyone.