• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanga's test retirement

Gob

International Coach
Sad, sad day for cricket when Sanga calls it a day.

Was really hoping he had another tour of SA/Aus in him and he could sign-off in style with tons in testing conditions so he fill in that one hole in his brilliant record.
don't think there is a hole as such.He made a ton in SA couple of years back in pretty tough conditions and while I wouldn't call his 192 came in testing conditions,it was still pretty ****ing good.Only hole he could fill is his average in SA.

Niall

International Coach
Bowlers everywhere will be breathing a sigh of relief though, he's been taking the piss the last year. Almost as if he's made a conscious effort to sign off by showing everyone just how ****ing good he is.
Except in the County Championship when he rocks up for Surrey though.

Assuming he is not away to long, and Roy is not called up for England, with all their quick bowlers, they really should get promoted and go very close in the limited overs competitions..

It's going to be very sad to see him go. He has a bright future ahead of him in commentary/coaching/whatever else he decides. What a player, what a guy. His Spirit of Cricket lecture should be required listening/reading for everyone.
He seems very articulate and likeable, would be shocked if Sky don't use him this Summer when at Surrey.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
there is a beautiful inevitability about his batting. he makes you start hoping for wickets at the other end or a freak run out because he would just gracefully deal to you until he had a million to his name.

his two big tons in NZ and the Hobart ton are my favourite innings' of his. the stats hoes will point to some hole in his record in SA or something as evidence he sucks in 20 years, and the former players cultists will talk about how he never got a mention so Clarke and KP and whoever were better, but those of us who watched him play will know his worth.

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
got to see him bat a couple of times 2006/2007. The latter was an awful day for NZ cricket, but a great day for those who appreciate good cricket. It began with a trademark Jayasuriya innings where he smashed the NZ bowlers around Eden Park. Then Sangakkara gave a masterclass about batting in the middle overs (scoring 79) as Sri Lanka set a good score. Then Vaas and Malinga tear through the NZ batting line up, with best-spinner-of-all-time Murali taking a couple of cheap wickets at the end. Sangakkara scored more than the entire NZ team that day. Was fortunate to watch that innings (as well as the rest of the Sri Lankans that day)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quietly turned himself into one of my favorite batsmen. I have always wished that he looked a little more elegant, but what he is is quite incredible. Such a wonderful run scorer. Seems to have a lot to say too, something which he is obviously holding back for his commentary/writing stints later on. Looking forward to some good speeches and articles from the man. Would be awesome to see Sanga and Dravid commentate together, like a ray of sunshine on Star Sports.

viriya

International Captain
It's criminal for a guy in such great form to be retiring.. How can SL fans go from him to having to depend on Thirimanne and Chandimal.. :wacko:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga has long said Thirimanne in particular is batting better than he was at a similar point in his career, plus he's kept both those guys out of their natural positions for a while, gonna be tough but not as bad as what many think IMO

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sanga has long said Thirimanne in particular is batting better than he was at a similar point in his career, plus he's kept both those guys out of their natural positions for a while, gonna be tough but not as bad as what many think IMO
I know Sanga was inconsistent at the start of his career but the times he made runs he looked a million dollar one just knew this guy will be special still remeber his 232 vs Shoab and Waqar very early on in his career did not play a single false stroke if i recall. I like Thirmane bust just not has the aura that Sanga had even early in his career.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Sanga is a modern great, Thirimanne is someone who'll hopefully retire averaging 45 and do a decent job flying the flag overseas

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
What an extraordinary career this man has had! As I pointed out in the epic How good is Sanga? thread, what makes him so special is not primarily talent. Sure, he's very gifted; but I can think of quite a few contemporaries and near-contemporaries who've been similarly talented or blessed with even greater gifts, yet haven't achieved nearly as much. What has set apart Sanga across this pretty-much unprecedented run - in terms of post-Bradman Test match batting - over the past decade or so has been applied intelligence. And the same first-class intellect he applied to working out how to score precious international runs in all conditions and against all opponents despite at first being hampered by a slightly dodgy technique - early on he looked like he might never curb the the dasher's tendency to get out early doors wafting airily outside off stump - has now been applied to timing retirement perfectly. As PT Barnum said, "always leave them wanting more". Thank you Sanga for all the memories.

viriya

International Captain
Yea but you're comparing him to a guy who's the exception. No one in the history of cricket has improved as a player like Sanga has over his career. He went from an average cricketer after a couple years in the international scene to a ATG XI candidate in both formats.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Will be done with Tests by August - Kumar Sangakkara | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

End of August this year, can't remember who we're playing over the home summer (India?) but Sanga will hang up the boots before we head over to NZ again late in the year. will be the right time I think, Sri Lanka's greatest batsman for sure.
Scared of getting ripped apart by Trenteh again obvz.

Seriously though, this is a real blow. He's been my favourite non-NZ cricketer since the ridiculous hundreds that he scored against us on a couple of greentops in 2006. Insanely graceful and marvellously cool under pressure. A true class act, and an eloquent writer, I really hope he stays involved in the game in some fashion going forward, as cricket needs more gents like him.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea but you're comparing him to a guy who's the exception. No one in the history of cricket has improved as a player like Sanga has over his career. He went from an average cricketer after a couple years in the international scene to a ATG XI candidate in both formats.
The point wasn't that Thirimanne will step straight into his shoes and we'll be absolutely fine

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, even if the naysayers on the How good is Sanga? thread are right, and he's not quite up there with the likes of Kallis and Ponting ;-), he's definitely an ATG at talking up teammates. According to him, his great friend Mahela is the better batsman (actually, I think he genuinely believes this!), Mathews and Thirimanne will erase him from the record books, and at one point he was even predicting great things for Paravitana! :-)