• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Role of rain in semi final line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
almighty whinge but he's not really wrong is he. Take rained out results away and Pak probably make the semis ahead of NZ
The rained off games were unfortunate for Pakistan no doubt, but I really don't agree with the argument that NRR is the wrong way to break a tie.

Flem274*

123/5
Remember in 92 when pak were skittled for 70 odd by england and then the rain came? That shared point got them into the semis

So i wont be having any crying over net run rate thnx

cnerd123

likes this
Remember in 92 when pak were skittled for 70 odd by england and then the rain came? That shared point got them into the semis

So i wont be having any crying over net run rate thnx
but don't you understand? that is okay because it brought joy to 200 million Pakistani fans for years to come. This time the rain is not okay and the ICC must do something about it

thierry henry

International Coach
Mercurial Pakistan beating both Sri Lanka and Bangladesh (the game tonight won't even really tell us what would have happened, because it's completely different if it's a meaningful fixture) is hardly a fait accompli. Like, I'm tossing up as to whether Pakistan going 2/2 is more or less than 50% likely.

Factor in an outside chance of NZ beating India and I don't even know if you can say it's more likely than not that the semi-finalists would be different if all the games had been played.

semi

Cricket Spectator
If a system show a flaw, corrective measures are required and not ignoring the flaws as they were in the past too. Systems would improve one day (Example: third umpires, review systems). It is just a matter of time. If we correct it today, we save another team and another fans be the victom tomarrow.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But the flaw here is Pakistan playing like a busted arse early in the tourney an not banking points when they should have

flibbertyjibber

I love how the cry arses are moaning about unfairness due to the weather and also that the India v England game was fixed. Their greatest ever moment only came about thanks to rain getting them a point and they are the masters at match fixing. What goes around comes around.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I love how the cry arses are moaning about unfairness due to the weather and also that the India v England game was fixed. Their greatest ever moment only came about thanks to rain getting them a point and they are the masters at match fixing. What goes around comes around.
Brilliant.

100% agree.

semi

Cricket Spectator
There is no standard temperament of playing a cricket tournament. Some athletes run marathon with constamt speed, some gain momentun late. No one is good or bad. If some one does not like one, it is his problem. If teams have different styles and nature, it is diversity not defect, and certainly no reason to be blindsighted from the system flaws.

There were many against neutral umpiring, third umpiring and review system. I am sure, not many now.

Last edited:

vcs

In the upcoming World Cups, they should just schedule India vs. Pakistan as the first match so that Pakistan can get their customary thrashing out of the way early. It seems they need that jolt to the system for their team management to wake up and get their act together.

wrongun

Banned
In the upcoming World Cups, they should just schedule India vs. Pakistan as the first match so that Pakistan can get their customary thrashing out of the way early. It seems they need that jolt to the system for their team management to wake up and get their act together.
I highly doubt their home status would get reinstated but If it did, I'd love to see India play them in Karachi or Lahore....and watch them get thrashed there too. It's almost turned into a Aus-Kiwi situation

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I hope with the security situation in Pakistan improving, the UAE can be finally abandoned as our home. We don’t get much support there as the grounds are mainly empty. Plus, there is really no advantage to our players as they have to get used to the conditions like everyone else.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
For the sake of argument, I think you could ultimately say that prioritising the result between the two teams over NRR when they have the same amount of points is more unfair. Obviously teams have good and bad days and maybe NZ's bad day just so happens to have fallen against Pak; whereas one of Pak's bad days fell against the West Indies. NRR arguably offers the best way of accounting for how good and how bad teams performed overall in their games, measuring the consistency of their performances.

I just think that if it was ultimately the other way round; that who went through to the SF was decided by who won between NZ and Pak, instead of NRR, and NZ actually won but Pak ended up with the better NRRm then we'd also see people, possibly a lot of the same people, arguing that NRR is a much fairer measurement for deciding who goes through to the semis.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I don't agree with prioritizing head to head games over NRR. If you did that here, you would essentially use result of NZ v Pak match as tie breaker but you would ignore the fact that there is at least one team (WI) that NZ won against but Pak lost.

semi

Cricket Spectator
I would prefer NRR over League match. ICC rule do consider the league match when the NRRs are equal.
Similarly, If the abundnent matches ore involved with different likely hood of winning, league match (if available) should be given priority over NRR too.
I would also suggess if the NRR difference is very small (eg. Less than 0.3), the resul of the league match should have priority too.
In the case there is complex situation arries, the decesion could be made thrugh a panel of rafries (Example: Boking). If umpires are involved in dfferent stages of the game, why not here.
ICC need to refine the rules.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In the case there is complex situation arries, the decesion could be made thrugh a panel of rafries (Example: Boking). If umpires are involved in dfferent stages of the game, why not here.
This is a horrible idea. Like one of the worst possible ideas.

I think anytime you're talking about the margins, there's going to be some luck involved. Happens every year with march madness, with every playoffs in every sport. There's always some lucky or unlucky break that goes for or against you. Might Pakistan be better than NZ? I think they COULD be. But I can't say they definitively were. Now Pakistan missed out on SL while NZ were going to play India, so I understand that it wasn't fair. But, in the end, you can't let a team that finished #9 out of 10 chase down your total in 13 overs and then claim you were unfairly left out of the semis.

The weather does suck in England, and it's fair complaint. But I think in the end, no team can really complain about who got through. I think this was as fair as you can make it honestly. I didn't know how I would like this format, but I have to say, I do enjoy it. Unless they make it football style with a LOT of teams and group stages (where everyone accepts there's going to be some lopsided games in the first round - which would be fine by me as well), I think this is the best way to go.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I would prefer NRR over League match. ICC rule do consider the league match when the NRRs are equal.
Similarly, If the abundnent matches ore involved with different likely hood of winning, league match (if available) should be given priority over NRR too.
I would also suggess if the NRR difference is very small (eg. Less than 0.3), the resul of the league match should have priority too.
keep crying. it fuels me.

Status
Not open for further replies.