• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Is anyone else in Aus finding the build up to this Ashes really low key? Dont think ive seen an add on tv about it and albeit casual fans ive spoken to didnt even know its starting this week.

Redbacks

International Captain
Yes, I'd agree. Since the whole pay dispute saga I think cricket lost momentum and has been put on the back burner a bit.

The soccer WC qualifying playoff took precedence too.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is anyone else in Aus finding the build up to this Ashes really low key? Dont think ive seen an add on tv about it and albeit casual fans ive spoken to didnt even know its starting this week.
I think I've only just seen ads start last week.

Tbf personally, I haven't cared this less for an Ashes since 2015.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The way Lehmann's talking you'd think Marsh had way outperformed the other candidates. Perhaps he was looking at Ferguson's figures instead?

He'll probably score well enough to spite us and get another underserved year in the team. Particularly as he's being hidden down the order.
If he was the clear and obvious candidate based on FC runs he wouldn't need to defend it.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's had the least build up for any Ashes that I can recall. Maybe we're just getting sick of cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't know if Cricket Australia themselves even care about the Ashes anymore. If this is the biggest series in their calendar, then why pick a new wicketkeeper at the 11th hour of the series, completely discarding the two keepers you were using regularly for the last couple of years, all on the basis of him scoring a pretty 70 odd and not keeping wicket or for 2 years (or scoring runs for the last 7).

Then there is ditching your young opener you've been grooming and taking all over the world for a debutant who just happens to have hit a purple patch at the right time.

And to cap it off they recall Shaun Marsh.

This suggests a lack of foresight and planning for the Ashes. More importantly, it just shows they don't care. And if they themselves don't care for what is supposed to be 'the only series that matters', then how can you expect the casual fans to give ****?

OverratedSanity

I don't know if Cricket Australia themselves even care about the Ashes anymore. If this is the biggest series in their calendar, then why pick a new wicketkeeper at the 11th hour of the series, completely discarding the two keepers you were using regularly for the last couple of years, all on the basis of him scoring a pretty 70 odd and not keeping wicket or for 2 years (or scoring runs for the last 7).

Then there is ditching your young opener you've been grooming and taking all over the world for a debutant who just happens to have hit a purple patch at the right time.

This suggests a lack of foresight and planning for the Ashes. More importantly, it just shows they don't care. And if they themselves don't care for what is supposed to be 'the only series that matters', then how can you expect the casual fans to give ****?
If anything the nonsensical selections show they care too much.

TheJediBrah

I've been hearing a lot more about the Women's Ashes tbh, as it's being promoted very heavily given the number of people (or lack of) that actually care about it

Of course that could be partly because the women's ashes is already being played though . . .

cnerd123

likes this
If anything the nonsensical selections show they care too much.
Nah if they cared too much they'd start building their side for the Ashes two years out and treat all other cricket as a way to groom players for the series. Pick a core squad and stick with them. Do what sides do with their ODI side and World Cups.

Selecting a debutant, an outsider and a discarded player means they either had no real plan going into this, or they did but really ****ed it up.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
If he was the clear and obvious candidate based on FC runs he wouldn't need to defend it.
I don't enjoy being a SMarsh defender, but he has put up good shield numbers for quite a while now.

I haven't updated these stats since last season

Last 5 Shield seasons (12/13 - 16/17) - selected players

Khawaja (12/13)....1508....47.13
Nevill (12/13)........ 2390....45.96
S Marsh (12/13).....1958....45.53
Cowan (12/13)........3095....45.51
Ferguson (12/13)....2997....43.43
Handscomb (12/13).2693....40.80
Maxwell (12/13).......1179....40.66
Bailey (12/13)...........2224....40.44
Wade (12/13)...........1479....39.97
Burns (12/13)............2780....39.15
Klinger (12/13)..........2992....36.94

Last 4 - selected players

Nevill (13/14)........1969....54.69
S Marsh (13/14).....1806....51.60
Khawaja (13/14)....1070....50.95
Lynn (13/14)...........1429....49.28
Cowan (13/14)........2945....48.28
Bailey (13/14)...........1968....48.00
Handscomb (13/14).2325....44.71
Ferguson (13/14)....2358....44.49
Maxwell (13/14).......1089....43.56
Klinger (13/14)..........2662....41.59
Burns (13/14)............2193....41.38
Patterson (13/14)......2180....39.64
Wade (13/14)...........1313....38.62

Last 3 - selected players

Nevill (14/15)........1497....62.38
S Marsh (14/15).....1405....58.54
Khawaja (14/15)......519....51.90
Cowan (14/15)........2283....51.89
Handscomb (14/15).1841....51.14
Bailey (14/15)...........1748....49.94
Lynn (14/15).............842....44.32
Lehmann (14/15).....1445....43.79
Klinger (14/15)..........2094....42.73
Wade (14/15)............852....42.60
Patterson (14/15)......1777....42.31
Maxwell (14/15).........545....41.92
Ferguson (14/15).....1793....41.70
Burns (14/15)............1629....39.73

There never used to be a numbers case for Marsh. He'd average 36 in 1st class and still get picked. He now has compelling Shield numbers, but they are countered by lower, but not terrible, Test numbers.

I still don't think he should be the first choice pure batsmen, but he is not to just be dismissed outright.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Its the inconsistency that is so annoying

After dropping Neville and bringing in Wade, Wade does worse than Neville for the next couple of tests but is retained.

Where is the consistency ?

Ferguson gets one test and is out. Maddinson gets three tests.

Annoying !
Why is it that the cricket australia players who don't score, can't keep, get selected because they talk during an INNINGS, aren't blamed by media?? Sad!!

Burgey

Gearing up for the series by watching a few highlights of Johnson last time out here. My god, that was next level scary. Just watching how far back Haddin was standing in Brisbane was ridiculous.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
One thing I have noticed is that the Australian selectors have taken some of the attention from England. Earlier the media were concentrating on ECB selecting gaffes, wonky unknown bats like Vince and Malan. Now the media is preoccupied with CA being completely clueless basically - I read (and listen to) both English and Australian media by the way.

The Australian selectors have handed the English a free and unforeseen victory here.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

The selectors do different jobs than everyone else in Cricket Australia...James Sutherland isn't picking the team

If anything, they've panicked with these selections because that's how important the Ashes are

I don't have a TV, so I wouldn't know if nein are running ads or not, but I've seen plenty of stuff on social media during the last few weeks.

Burgey

One thing I have noticed is that the Australian selectors have taken some of the attention from England. Earlier the media were concentrating on ECB selecting gaffes, wonky unknown bats like Vince and Malan. Now the media is preoccupied with CA being completely clueless basically - I read (and listen to) both English and Australian media by the way.

The Australian selectors have handed the English a free and unforeseen victory here.
Which will amount to nothing come thursday, but I guess one takes what one can.

Tom Flint

International Regular
They're wankers always give it large when they play at home but are fannies when they come to us
The last team to win an away ashes was us so they can stay quiet til they win in england