• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Out of curiosity, is this the first time since Bradman/Hammond that the two Ashes captains are arguably the two best Test batsmen in the world?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Out of curiosity, is this the first time since Bradman/Hammond that the two Ashes captains are arguably the two best Test batsmen in the world?
I'd imagine at some point in the 80s when Viv and AB captained against each other this might have been the case.

Also, in 97, Lara and Tendulkar skippered their respective sides against each other.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waugh and Tendulkar/ Waugh and Lara as well in the late 90s. Lara has that patch in the Kate 90s where he kind of lost the plot for a bit before he came back with that 1999 series.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
I don't think Warne is suggesting applying an identical theory to the Bodyline series, and personally I think he has a point when he says that certain England players in the mid-lower order have shown a certain susceptibilty to the short ball. Soon as Moeen comes out I would bounce the s**t out of him, would also try a similar theory with Bairstow, who has admittedly improved his short-ball game, and certainly with Broad and the rest of the tail.
Ali is a bit of an odd one. When he ducks he plays the short ball ok. It's when he tries to play it he gets in to a mess. Short outside off stump he tends to put it away. At times he seems to see himself as a decent at pulling and hooking and he just isn't. He gets out disproportionately playing across the line to spinners more than the short ball. It's anyone's guess whether he'll hook or duck tomorrow as it just comes down to how he feels walking in to the middle. If he starts hooking he just carries on until he gets out so Australia have got to try him out early doors and see what he does. Massive opportunity for him to win the top six batting spot he wants, whether he has it in him to be anything other than someone who just bats the way he feels at the time is the big question. For a serious batsman he has far too many sub 20 dismissals to impulsive shots early in his innings.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh sorry didnt realise you'd specified "Ashes" captains when I made my post above.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't think Warne is suggesting applying an identical theory to the Bodyline series, and personally I think he has a point when he says that certain England players in the mid-lower order have shown a certain susceptibilty to the short ball. Soon as Moeen comes out I would bounce the s**t out of him, would also try a similar theory with Bairstow, who has admittedly improved his short-ball game, and certainly with Broad and the rest of the tail.
turns out Warne was right

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if you go through the historical icc batting rankings i think you'd fine it's the case. funnily enough cook/clarke 2013 is probably the next closest

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gooch ever captain against Border in early 90s? I guess Border might have been in that period where he wasn't making hundreds but was still averaging 40 though.