• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sounds a lot like a rotation policy to me.....and we know how popular that is.

If Cummins takes a bag full in Brisbane and they rest him for Adelaide and lose........****s gonna be hitting fans everywhere.
Oh don't worry, whoever gets rested in Adelaide (probably Cummins) will be "injured" officially. This has been happening for a while now.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Gearing up for the series by watching a few highlights of Johnson last time out here. My god, that was next level scary. Just watching how far back Haddin was standing in Brisbane was ridiculous.
Did similar and ended up watching his 7fer at Centurion as well. Reconfirmed my stance that it was the best pure pace performance I'd ever seen.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
DOzIMOOVwAET4Pl.jpg

Seven Aussie geezer geezers and one pro-Aussie Englishman. Five captains, four of Australia, one of ehh Hampshire.

Last edited:

Cow

Banned
I think Aus will win comfortably. 90mph bowlers are needed. Only Adelaide under the lights might favour England.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly they all look confused and torn between being their real selves and being the aggressive Auzzie.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Gearing up for the series by watching a few highlights of Johnson last time out here. My god, that was next level scary. Just watching how far back Haddin was standing in Brisbane was ridiculous.
Did similar and ended up watching his 7fer at Centurion as well. Reconfirmed my stance that it was the best pure pace performance I'd ever seen.
I wonder if that's how the England team are gearing up for the series.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Aus will win comfortably. 90mph bowlers are needed. Only Adelaide under the lights might favour England.
Look this is such bull****....can we please just stop this here ffs.

90 mph bowlers are not all that's needed, otherwise Shaun Tait and Brett Lee would have had stella Ashes careers. In my life time Glen McGrath is the greatest Ashes bowler........was he sending down 95 mph bombs???

2013/14 was a perfect storm, and Mitch Johnson did what I've seen no bowler do since Lillee, Thomson and the Four Horses. All this talk is gonna make the Aussies look stupid when these ****s break down in the second session tomorrow.

Cow

Banned
Look this is such bull****....can we please just stop this here ffs.

90 mph bowlers are not all that's needed, otherwise Shaun Tait and Brett Lee would have had stella Ashes careers. In my life time Glen McGrath is the greatest Ashes bowler........was he sending down 95 mph bombs???

2013/14 was a perfect storm, and Mitch Johnson did what I've seen no bowler do since Lillee, Thomson and the Four Horses. All this talk is gonna make the Aussies look stupid when these ****s break down in the second session tomorrow.
I hope so. Seeing Steve Smith happy is one of the worst things a person can endure.

S.Kennedy

To expect either Starc, Cummins or Hazlewood is going to reproduce Johnson in 2013-14 is to expect a lot. Johnson averaged 13.97 on that tour. His career average is around 28 - similar to Starc's. To expect another Johnson is to expect another series performance of twenty plus wickets at under half your ordinary average!!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I'd settle for another Harris or two.

Honestly even if we won 5-0 I would hope that Steve Smith comes out and says in the media how he expected that and that now we need to really prove ourselves by winning the Ashes in England, but before then we had to exact revenge on South Africa.

S.Kennedy

Is Warne discussing leg-theory specifically, which anyhow is illegal because of fielding restrictions, or merely express back-of-a-length bowling, which is further curtailed through the one per over rule? What an idiot!

Woodster

International Captain
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/f1f6f3ac2487776d0393f131b1fb864a

More clap-trap, this time from Warne.

Now I hope one of Starc or Cummins (preferably Starc) takes 0/124.
Is Warne discussing leg-theory specifically, which anyhow is illegal because of fielding restrictions, or merely express back-of-a-length bowling, which is further curtailed through the one per over rule? What an idiot!
I don't think Warne is suggesting applying an identical theory to the Bodyline series, and personally I think he has a point when he says that certain England players in the mid-lower order have shown a certain susceptibilty to the short ball. Soon as Moeen comes out I would bounce the s**t out of him, would also try a similar theory with Bairstow, who has admittedly improved his short-ball game, and certainly with Broad and the rest of the tail.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh, I can see where the ex-players are coming from to a degree but don't think it's the pace thing necessarily. More like chinks in the team armour, England struggled at times to really put away a pretty weak WI team. In theory, a Nathan Lyon, who's bowling really well right now, could wreck them too.

That said, the Aussie selectors have conspired to make a game of the 'Gabba Test so who the **** knows if it'll matter. Get the feeling all it'll take is one bloke, for either side, blowing away the bats and that'll give their team enough momentum to run away with the series. Doesn't not have the makings of a close series, for mine. Probably why the selectors went for experience over youth but it'll make a point if Marsh ends up crocked prior to the toss.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashes Tests rarely seem to be closely fought in recent years. Swings from each team wrecking the other, which can make for a close series result but not so much an actual close series.

Can't imagine this will be any different.

S.Kennedy

Isn't it common knowledge that tailends struggle with the short ball? I would've thought Mitchell Johnson knew this in 2013-14? Typical Warne claptrap.

Niall

International Coach
whats the crowd like guys? Empty seats it seems, but suppose punters will come in during the day?