• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Give us a break. We're doing our best to purge the poms from our parliament.
I'd love to think that you could see the irony of this farce of a situation, but as we all know very well.........most Aussies just don't don't do irony.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
so he has convict blood in him and was also raised in Northern England

guess we can't be too surprised huh
Stokes is not even north east (English). Christchurch born yes but Cumbrian (north west England) raised. His parents would drive him to Durham every day for practice. His father was a Rugby League coach, ex-Rugby player, which is why they traveled around a lot.

cnerd123

likes this
"It's just a presence sort of thing. For a captain out in the middle, I've always got a lot on my mind, I'm doing different things. So for a keeper, it's about ensuring that the energy's up and if someone needs a little pick-me-up, go and get them, go and touch them and make sure that we're doing what we need to do. Those are important things to do for a wicketkeeper.
actually keeping well and scoring runs isn't nearly as important as knowing when to go and touch another player to pick them up.

S.Kennedy

I'd rather a keeper just shut up really. I hated all that, ''niiice one Shaene'' Gilchristy silliness, not to mention Wade's ''Gaarry''.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually think the keeper does have an important role in setting the level of energy for a team, at any level. Very much a secondary consideration to their glove work though.

Burgey

I suppose they can. Anyone can. But the keeper sets the standard for the side in the field, or at least that’s how it’s always been when I’ve played and watched. I’m not taking excessive bull****, more being up and about.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because short leg doesn't have the best view of the angles, doesn't get the ball four times an over or more, and doesn't field there for every ball of the game.
Is this supposed to be the case for short leg not actually doing something more productive than drop every second catch?

Tangles

actually keeping well and scoring runs isn't nearly as important as knowing when to go and touch another player to pick them up.
Really makes you wonder if Smith was the reason Nev got sacked when he did.

Should be keeping, batting then energy/chat as the order of importance. Smith and the selectors seem to want the reverse.

flibbertyjibber

I actually think the keeper does have an important role in setting the level of energy for a team, at any level. Very much a secondary consideration to their glove work though.
That and being the main eyes for DRS calls too. Huge role for the side on top of glovework and these days batting. Prior was pretty good at all of them as was Haddin and Bairstow is good too particularly with DRS. Not paid enough attention to Wade and Nevill to know who is better on that front.

S.Kennedy

I've not seen much of Nevill but Australia could help England out immensely by selecting Wade.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I remember when Steve Davies got dropped from the one day team, one of the main reasons was they didn't think he was vocal enough behind the stumps.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lol. From sinking 53 cans to this.
Haha that wouldn't work for me.

Years ago I went to New York for my dad's 50th, was working till 2am and my dad was picking me up at 5am so we could get our flight at 7. My plan was to sleep on the flight over but I didn't sleep a wink despite having been up since about 10am the previous morning. Ended up dozing off for about 4 hours eventually at about 2pm New York time.

Daemon

Aaron picking up Root and Vince in quick succession must've given him a Hardie