• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If there's one player I'd really shell out on there it's Flintoff. One of the best LO bowlers in the world, and a fantastic lower order bat for T20s.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If there's one player I'd really shell out on there it's Flintoff. One of the best LO bowlers in the world, and a fantastic lower order bat for T20s.
Definately worth shelling out for him, a team like Rajasthan could buy him as a replacement for Watson.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
...bidding. Thought it was today.

EDIT: Nah, the one dayer is today, my bad.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The auction is on the 6th. Its apparently not going to be 'live' unlike last time from what I hear. It was actually great fun finding out what each player was valued at last time.

pup11

International Coach
How did Michael Hill survive the cut?

He can't get a game for his state. Is it because of his big hitting in the Sixes comp?

Bizarre IMO.
I agree, maybe the fact that he was the Aus U-19 captain helped, and didn't he play a few decent knocks in the U-19 WC.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I agree, maybe the fact that he was the Aus U-19 captain helped, and didn't he play a few decent knocks in the U-19 WC.
It about poaching the best young talent in Australia before they cost too much. Main reason why the like of Mosies, Warner and co were picked up.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Without Pakistani participation in the IPL, I see no way they're going to be in the Champions league. Reckon we'll see a Sri Lankan or Kiwi side replace them, or maybe England sending two ICL free teams.

Precambrian

Banned
Without Pakistani participation in the IPL, I see no way they're going to be in the Champions league. Reckon we'll see a Sri Lankan or Kiwi side replace them, or maybe England sending two ICL free teams.
ICL thing is going to get resolved soon. So, we could see two best teams from England.

Fair call that. If Pakistan is willing to enter into a stupid contest, let them. They only are going to lose out.

pup11

International Coach
It about poaching the best young talent in Australia before they cost too much. Main reason why the like of Mosies, Warner and co were picked up.
Moises and Warner have been bought for US $ 300,000 and US $ 450,000 respectively by their franchises, so i would hardly call that a steal, considering the current stocks of both these players.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
News is that Mumbai Indians have given a few of their domestic players a payrise for this season. Chances are Warne's going to make a dive for the phone if he gets wind of this.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IIM-A study bats for IPL players

Chitra Unnithan & Vinay Umarji / Ahmedabad January 30, 2009, 0:13 IST

Analyses cricketers’ valuation based on their attributes.

It’s not just spectators but academia, too, that is enamoured with the Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket tournament. After an Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A) student assisted the management of the Delhi IPL team, a faculty member along with a student at the institute have now prepared a working paper on the valuation of cricketers.

Titled ‘Player Pricing and Valuation of Cricketing Attributes: Exploring the IPL Twenty-Twenty Vision’, the working paper by Satish Deodhar and Siddhartha Rastogi attempts to discern an IPL player’s valuation based on the relationship between the IPL-2008 final bid prices and the player’s attributes. Even as the auctioning of incumbent and new players for IPL 2009 is underway till February 2009, the study can help ascertain a new player’s worth to the team owners. For instance, the study tries to find out when Andrew Symonds was offered $1.3 million (Rs 6.36 crore), it was because of his ability to draw crowds due to the controversies surrounding him during the auction period.

“The study gives some perception about how the pricing of the players might have been done during the IPL auction. We have employed the bid and offer curve concept of hedonic price analysis and econometrically established a relation between the IPL-2008 final bid prices and the player attributes. The idea that hedonic analysis has interesting applications in various fields triggered off our study, thus applying the analysis to cricket players as the IPL prices they were offered must have been based on individual attributes of the players. We have also used dummies in the form of cricket players in the study to understand the business of IPL. The numbers generated are not precise to the last dollar but are ballpark estimates, which seem to give a benchmark for cricketing and non-cricketing attributes,” says Deodhar.

Claiming that this paper is a first attempt to provide an objective valuation of cricketers based on their cricketing and non-cricketing attributes as perceived by the business of cricket, Deodhar says that a cricket player is valued for his on-the-field as well as off-the-field performances.

He adds, “We propose that a cricket player sells his cricketing services for the IPL tournament. The franchisee team owners bid for the player services, for team owners would like to maximise their chances of winning and maximising profit. In equilibrium, the final bid price of a player must be a function of the valuation of winning attributes of a player.”

Citing examples, the study talks about how players like Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, and Yuvraj Singh, on an average, earn a hefty premium of $499,037 (Rs 2.4 crore approx.) for their regional iconic popularity. However, another icon player, Virender Sehwag, enjoys a premium of only $382,274 (Rs 1.8 crore approx.). The study also states that an Indian player commands a better premium over a non-Indian player. For example, among the foreign players, none receives any premium for their nationality, as against an Indian player who on an average is likely to receive a premium of $203,156 (Rs 1 crore approx.) over non- Indian players.

Also, the study examines the coefficient for age as negative and statistically significant. On an average, a player loses out $29,484 (Rs 14.4 lakh approx.) for getting older by one more year, it states.

Valuation estimates of important player attributes:

An Indian player, on an average, fetches a premium of $203,156 over foreign players

A half century in any form of ICC approved match fetches $2683

An increase in T20 batting average by 1 run fetches $4658

One more stumping in any form of ICC approved match fetches $2596

An additional wicket in any form of ICC approved match fetches $377

In April 2008, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) initiated IPL, a cricket tournament of Twenty20 overs to be played among eight domestic teams. Team owners bid for the services of cricketers for a total of $42 million (Rs 205 crore approx.).

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Mumbai Indians win on TV!
4 Feb 2009, 0023 hrs IST,Indranil Basu,TNN

NEW DELHI: Rajasthan Royals may have won the inaugural IPL in 2008 but Mumbai Indians were the most watched team on TV. According to IPL's post-event report compiled by their event management company, a copy of which is with TOI, Sachin Tendulkar's team attracted a total of 239 million viewers.

Shah Rukh Khan's team, Kolkata Knight Riders are second in the list with 227 million watching their matches while Chennai Super Kings are third with a figure of 219 million. IPL's defending champions Royals are fourth, attracting 212 million viewers.

The report also says that Bangalore Royal Challengers, who finished seventh in the league, were the least watched with a viewership of 199 million. Surprisingly, the fourth team in the IPL standings, Delhi Daredevils' viewership on TV is just a little more than Bangalore. Hyderabad and Kings XI Punjab are fifth and sixth respectively on this list.

Looking at the figures of home matches, KKR topped the list with 125 million viewers, ahead of Mumbai Indians, who had the maximum viewership during away matches. The Daredevils are second in the list of away games with a viewership of 112 million.

As expected, the evening matches starting at eight provided significantly higher audience than the day matches, which began at four in the afternoon. There was not much difference between evening audience at the weekend compared with weekdays (8.4 million compared with 8.6 million).

"Fridays provided the highest audience on average with Tuesday providing the second-highest audience on average," says the report. "The highest audience for the day matches were on Sundays, while the lowest audience during day matches were on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The lowest audience for evening matches were on Sundays."

As for the fans' satisfaction, the report says that Chennai and Mumbai respondents "were the most satisfied" and Team Hyderabad respondents the least.

On the profile of the fans, the report says that they were "predominantly young, well-educated, about 27 years old and living in households earning a little under Rs 300,000 per annum".

The average money spent on IPL was Rs 2,304, the majority of it on ticket (61%), then food/drink (15%) and transport (12%). "The most was spent in Bangalore (Rs 2,832 per person) and least in Kolkata (Rs 1,493 per person)," says the report.