• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

pup11

International Coach
Gilchrist to lead Deccan Chargers.

So the Deccan Chargers seem to be really keen about turning things around after their dismal showing during the last IPL season and they are revamping the whole set-up of their team, i personally think its a good move to hand the leadership to Gilly, so hope he does well, i am not sure how well Laxman would take this, but imo Laxman shouldn't have been the part of a T20 team in the first place, leave alone leading the side, as he just isn't cut out for this format.

brockley

International Captain
I see a lot of english players playing in IPL this year.
ICL new players named no english players.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It really wasn't. Was a fish out of water. Shame as he and Venugopal and Ojha were the only two locals who I'd consider good enough to play in the IPL. Ah well, Gilly and Lehmann will do a lot of good for the team. Shame they have anchors like Afridi and Gibbs who'll do their best to hold the team down. Very Gilchrist and Rohit reliant side now.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mohanraj, who was a manager with the team before leaving at the end of the season, claimed Laxman was not informed or consulted about the removal. "They are being very unfair to Laxman," Mohanraj told Cricinfo. "They should have sounded him out last year itself, and consulted him over the issue. It is very unfortunate that one of India's leading cricketers is being treated this way. The way he has been removed is unethical. This is not the way to do it."

Mohanraj clearly not understanding that IPL teams are a business, not a national cricket team, and that team owners can pick and choose who they like, when they they like, how they like.

In his response to Afridi's comments, Laxman said: "Probably it is time someone told Afridi that a captain can only be as good as the team and to blame only me is totally out of place. The truth is that the team did not perform to its potential. Every player should take the blame for it and try and comeback strongly in the next edition instead of blaming each other."

Laxman clearly not understanding how Pakistan cricket works. :D

pup11

International Coach
It really wasn't. Was a fish out of water. Shame as he and Venugopal and Ojha were the only two locals who I'd consider good enough to play in the IPL. Ah well, Gilly and Lehmann will do a lot of good for the team. Shame they have anchors like Afridi and Gibbs who'll do their best to hold the team down. Very Gilchrist and Rohit reliant side now.
TBH by the time IPL season begins next year the sqauds of almost every side might look pretty different from what it looks like now, there would be auctions and transfers and if the Chargers have some common sense they would get rid of both Afridi and Gibbs during that peroid, and bring in some fast bowling talent because they surely need that, and it was good to read in the earlier article that how Lehmann and rest of the support staff would be scouting for local talent, which again also is a very good move.

pup11

International Coach
Mohanraj, who was a manager with the team before leaving at the end of the season, claimed Laxman was not informed or consulted about the removal. "They are being very unfair to Laxman," Mohanraj told Cricinfo. "They should have sounded him out last year itself, and consulted him over the issue. It is very unfortunate that one of India's leading cricketers is being treated this way. The way he has been removed is unethical. This is not the way to do it."

Mohanraj clearly not understanding that IPL teams are a business, not a national cricket team, and that team owners can pick and choose who they like, when they they like, how they like.
Yeah he needs to understand that emotions don't go well with business and when the Chargers performed as badly as they did, some people were obviously gonna face the axe and that has happened, making such hue and cry ain't the way to go, if you step into something like this then one should hope for the best and be prepared for the worst, because in a business venture like this, the people who are putting in their money would be ruthless and would do anything they can to make profits.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Won't be surprised one bit if the next casualties are Dravid and Ganguly, they were also pretty heavily criticised through the last season for their teams poor showing and both were reportedly having a strained equation with their respective team owners.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TBH by the time IPL season begins next year the sqauds of almost every side might look pretty different from what it looks like now, there would be auctions and transfers and if the Chargers have some common sense they would get rid of both Afridi and Gibbs during that peroid, and bring in some fast bowling talent because they surely need that, and it was good to read in the earlier article that how Lehmann and rest of the support staff would be scouting for local talent, which again also is a very good move.
Problem is, who'd be fool enough to buy a team cancer like Afridi? That's the problem with guaranteed contracts, if they're bad then it'll hurt the side long term in more ways than just of the hip pocket.

RC's are going to have similar problems getting rid of some of their hilarious contracts as well., but they're a whole different type of basketcase.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Problem is, who'd be fool enough to buy a team cancer like Afridi? That's the problem with guaranteed contracts, if they're bad then it'll hurt the side long term in more ways than just of the hip pocket.
Probably be cheaper to pay his contract out and cut him loose.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have no problem with Gilchrist being made captain if I was part of the Deccan set up, while Lehmann's inclusion as coach is a step forward in the right direction after last year's disappointing finish. Hey, having an Aussie as captain worked for the Royals, so why not double up. ;)

pup11

International Coach
I'd have no problem with Gilchrist being made captain if I was part of the Deccan set up, while Lehmann's inclusion as coach is a step forward in the right direction after last year's disappointing finish. Hey, having an Aussie as captain worked for the Royals, so why not double up. ;)
Yeah if Ganguly faces the axe then Ponting could step in as captain for Knight Riders, i don't know whether the Royal Challengers have any Aussie capable of leading the side in case Dravid is shown the door, well in that case Cameron White can do the job.:ph34r:

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Good move by the Chargers. Laxman should never have been captain in the first place. Will be interesting to see how the chargers go under Gilly's leadership. They hopefully won't do as badly as they did last year anyway.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Because he wanted to honour the contract he signed to play for them, and look where he got us! From Div 2 cricket last year to 4th in Div 1 is not bad at all.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Because he wanted to honour the contract he signed to play for them, and look where he got us! From Div 2 cricket last year to 4th in Div 1 is not bad at all.
Word on the street when South Africa were touring England was that some of the players at Somerset and the hierarchy at the club wouldn’t actually mind if Langer made way so the club could resign his Royals team-mate, Graeme Smith and appoint him as captain for the 2009 season. According to one of the journalist's on Cricket Writer's TV, Langer is not as well liked as Smith was...

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Word on the street when South Africa were touring England was that some of the players at Somerset and the hierarchy at the club wouldn’t actually mind if Langer made way so the club could resign his Royals team-mate, Graeme Smith and appoint him as captain for the 2009 season. According to one of the journalist's on Cricket Writer's TV, Langer is not as well liked as Smith was...
I certainly wouldn't complain! Smith would be awesome, again.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's desperate for money is my guess, he even showed up on that terrible new BBC show "The Hole in the wall" (see the OT thread), reaching new levels of direness.