• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reporting Posts

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just to bump this, going back to Heath's original point I have to say I share his frustration. There's a couple of absolutely terrible posters that have signed up recently, been reporting posts left right and centre but have no idea what, if any, effect it's having. Cribb's usually quite good at dropping me the odd VM now and again, so I appreciate the effort he makes, but it's annoying, although understandable, that reports don't really get a response.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't understand why moderation depends on how many posts are reported. Why don't the moderators moderate on the basis of their judgement and the type of site they want this to be?

Any intelligent discussion about todays game, for example, is now impossible.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just to bump this, going back to Heath's original point I have to say I share his frustration. There's a couple of absolutely terrible posters that have signed up recently, been reporting posts left right and centre but have no idea what, if any, effect it's having. Cribb's usually quite good at dropping me the odd VM now and again, so I appreciate the effort he makes, but it's annoying, although understandable, that reports don't really get a response.
Yep, put my first person on ignore, than I have for a while, circular wrong-headed partizan nonsense, isn't doing anyone any good, and that's just me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't understand why moderation depends on how many posts are reported.
Reporting posts is important because no-one reads every single post here. We'll miss stuff, or take time getting to it, so reports alert us to any situations that come up as they happen.

Why don't the moderators moderate on the basis of their judgement and the type of site they want this to be?
That's exactly what we do. Members reporting posts will get things done slightly quicker though as it'll draw our attention to problems immediately. That's definitely not to say that we won't take action against something if no-one reports it though.

Any intelligent discussion about todays game, for example, is now impossible.
I agree, tbh, and that issue has already been raised in the mod forum. Unfortunately, our efforts in ensuring fairness sometimes delay the inevitable a bit. We like to have most of the active mods give their opinions on what the course of action should be before we take it, which can mean it takes longer than we'd like for some things to happen.

I also suspect GF's post was at least vaguely related to that particularly thread too, and I guess all I can say is you might need to be patient for a day or so with that until we get a consensus on exactly what to do about it.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Thank you Prince. That's a very fair and reasoned response. Hopefully, you realised that my comments were not because I don't rate what you do, but because you're very close to being about the only place where decent cricket conversation can happen. That's what makes stuff like this frustrating.

I do think that the balance between fairness and direct action to protect the integrity of the site is skewered toward the former, although this is meant to be constructive criticism in the spirit of your response to my comments.

I'll also acknowledge that it must be a pain in the arse being a mod sometimes and it's easy to criticise from the outside :D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thank you Prince. That's a very fair and reasoned response. Hopefully, you realised that my comments were not because I don't rate what you do, but because you're very close to being about the only place where decent cricket conversation can happen. That's what makes stuff like this frustrating.

I do think that the balance between fairness and direct action to protect the integrity of the site is skewered toward the former, although this is meant to be constructive criticism in the spirit of your response to my comments.

I'll also acknowledge that it must be a pain in the arse being a mod sometimes and it's easy to criticise from the outside :D
No problems.

I actually agree that the forum would benefit from quicker action at the discretion of fewer moderators in some of the more obvious cases, but while we have what we believe to be a generally higher standard of discussion than other major cricket sites, we can probably afford to be careful with it.

I believe the problem you were speaking of has been dealt with now, although I agree that thread would've been a lot more pleasant had it happened an hour or two ago.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Like to report that a post I made mere minutes ago in the McGrath-Barnes thread had disappeared or been deleted. Anyone know why?