• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll - Bradman v Tendulkar

Bradman v Tendulkar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBF to Mervyn Dhillon and Abmk, they did put forward some decent arguments.
Decent arguments make up a few points of batting average. It can make a batsman who averages 55 appear like they average 50 or vice-versa. It does not make a Batsman who averages 100 to less than 57. Again, I am not really interested in the arguments because there are simply none of them so far that have ever been widely published or talked about that even come close to putting Tendulkar close to Bradman.

I can't believe this is you Ikki. The more I read your posts in this thread the more you are beginning to sound like a bigot. It seems that you have a very narrow definition of what is a well reasoned argument and it seems to be pointing in the direction of "right is what I think is right"
This is not superiority of one individual over another based on a whim or prejudice. We are talking about Bradman here. I know pretty much everything about the two players here and, as I've stated, I am not interested in the reasoning of people anymore because it just can't be reasoned without descending into bull****. It's not one of those arguments that rests on one batsman having better batting conditions or the other having more help...even these things only make up just a fraction in averages. They do not explain Bradman's superiority.

Again, people are welcome to state arguments - and I will even pay them the respect to read about them - but I am more interested in the voting.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If there was an irrelevant third option I would vote for that. Obviously Bradman is better - but can't be ****ed voting.

Mike5181

International Captain
Don Bradman was a man far above his counterparts but Tendulkar although considered the best by many still has a reasonable amount of players marginally worse in the modern era. Does this imply that Bradman>Tendulkar because he doesn't quite stand out in the fashion that Bradman did? This is how some explain their reason for choosing Don over Sachin. Though i am not someone who would think of voting for Tendulkar you can see the fault in this argument you could probably defend your opinion if you were to vote for Tendulkar by arguing the idea that modern players are far superior to players of Bradman's time and if Tendulkar were to play against the bowlers around then that he too would have an average around one hundred.

But yeah Bradman :laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The Tendulkar-Bradman thread has already been closed for a reason. If people are just going to carry on the way that one left off, ie. having a go at each other, or trolling to get a reaction, this one will be closed too.
Yes, I would encourage people not to go that way.

Please vote and, if you want to, state your case. This thread was not meant for disputing or arguing against points. Doing that in this comparison is inevitably going to lead to fights. Because in this instance people are either going to think the points are logical or abysmal with few in between.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ikki, what? I've disagreed with you in the past over loads of points, doesn't mean I can't take you seriously as a poster.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don Bradman was a man far above his counterparts but Tendulkar although considered the best by many still has a reasonable amount of players marginally worse in the modern era. Does this imply that Bradman>Tendulkar because he doesn't quite stand out in the fashion that Bradman did? This is how some explain their reason for choosing Don over Sachin. Though i am not someone who would think of voting for Tendulkar you can see the fault in this argument you could probably defend your opinion if you were to vote for Tendulkar by arguing the idea that modern players are far superior to players of Bradman's time and if Tendulkar were to play against the bowlers around then that he too would have an average around one hundred.

But yeah Bradman :laugh:
You would then have to argue that Ponting would've averaged about 110 for a while after 70+ tests... not to mention Kallis's figures.

bagapath

International Captain
For me, to believe otherwise, the poster must put forward an incredibly well reasoned and novel argument to dispute Bradman's superiority. It's either going to be that, or more dross like the bowlers in Bradman's era weren't any good or that Tendulkar succeeded against those great bowlers - i.e. your post.
"War and Peace" was a great novel. It was written in Russia which is geographically closer to India than Australia. So Tendulkar is better than Bradman. Is that okay with you, Ikki?

There is no way this thread is going to generate interesting arguments. Apart from the fanboys even some serious posters may vote for Tendulkar over Bradman. Their arguments could boil down to the following points.

1. We haven't seen Bradman play. So cant choose him over someone we have seen for 20+ years.

2. Bradman played only in two countries and in only 10 grounds. Sachin has played in every test playing nation on countless number of surfaces.

3. In Bradman's days, the bowling lacked teeth. There were no great bowlers in his oppositions who took 100+ wickets averaging under 25. Sachin had to play many great bowlers, both pace and spin, in his career.

4. Cricket as a game has become more athletic and more scientific with so much technical support etc. Bradman wouldn't be so far ahead of the rest if he played now instead of playing in an amateurish era.

I don't agree with these points. Anyone who is twice as good as the best of the rest has to be the best ever. That is why I voted for Bradman. But again, some guys will be going by these points above and you cant bunch them with the blind followers of Sachin; because there is no way you can nullify those arguments with Bradman's average alone. Let them believe in what they think is right. You should try and source some vintage articles on bradman and post them here. Desperate to read something classy on cricket; enough of trading personal insults in the name of cricket.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If there was an irrelevant third option I would vote for that. Obviously Bradman is better - but can't be ****ed voting.
A few clicks vs typing all that. :blink:

Well, I'd appreciate the vote but at least we know where you stand.

Blaze 18

Banned
The problem is threads like this make people start hating Tendulkar himself. Poor dude has nothing to do with it. Hardly his fault if there are a bunch of fanatics who rate him higher than Sir Donald Bradman.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, while Bradman is obviously better, I get the feeling that a lot of good posters severely dislike Tendulkar due to some dire fanboys rating him above Bradman.

Spark

Global Moderator
The problem is threads like this make people start hating Tendulkar himself. Poor dude has nothing to do with it. Hardly his fault if there are a bunch of fanatics who rate him higher than Sir Donald Bradman.
Yeah, this. I've said before that this is exactly why it's really not fun at all to argue this point. Howe_zat put it really well - he's the best batsman I've ever seen, isn't that enough?

Shri

Mr. Glass
I haven't really got into many Player Vs Player debates and this is no different. I am biased/one eyed/always right etc. I can not be bothered 95% of the time to give reasons to others as to why I say a certain player is better because I honestly don't care about another guy's opinion/arguments and a player I like will always be rated higher by me. Do I think Sehwag/Gilchrist/Jayasuriya are better than Bradman? When you are watching a game at the stadium/with friends the people around you are going to agree with you when you scream that Sachin is the best ever batsman in the world, they aren't going to link me to a ****ing statsguru page and ramble on about why I am wrong for 15 days. Yeah. Now on to the topic at hand,

I am biased. I grew up watching Tendulkar bat and I haven't seen Bradman play cricket. Someone who played about 70 - 80 years back is not relevant to how much I enjoy the game now. Unless he is going to get out of his grave and come and play now and be better than Tendulkar, I wouldn't care how good he was in the past. He may have been the best in his time, Sachin is one of the best batsmen of his time. Stop getting your panties in a twist if you just finished reading my last sentence, my points are not up for debate, thats what I believe in. So, yeah, Sachin is better than Bradman afaic. Bradman can prove me wrong if he wants to by playing cricket now.

On the other hand, if someone plays cricket and turns out to be better than Tendulkar in the future, I would call him the best as long as I see him play.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ikki, what? I've disagreed with you in the past over loads of points, doesn't mean I can't take you seriously as a poster.
People often disagree to things where it comes down to a certain amount of subjectivity and either opinion may be valid. It's different in things like art which are, for the most part, subjective, but when we are discussing sports you can be objective to a far greater extent IMO.

When you compare certain bowlers, for example, you know certain things can be valued more than other facets and what have you. You can legitimately argue for Lillee or Marshall either way and a difference in opinion may exist but the logical reasons suffice in one arguing either way. It is very easy to set up certain criteria which you hold dear and based on said criteria you can logically progress to rate one bowler better than another...even though the output of one is higher than the output of another. Because in your own mind you were being logical.

People who usually discuss things and have a semblance of sense usually have a healthy amount of respect for other people's opinions because they can fathom that people will have different value systems and rate things differently. You may even totally disagree with them but because you understand the aforementioned point you can move on from that discussion. You wouldn't even call them biased (in a pejorative sense) - merely that they hold different things to different values.

But if someone were trying to argue that Mohammad Sami is better than Malcolm Marshall because he swung it better (however they wish to define that) then they are taking the piss.

This is one discussion, IMO, where the question is so absurdly easy to answer that it takes incredible blindness to not see that most of the people voting for Tendulkar are doing so through sheer bias and/or willful ignorance. Now I am no Gandhi, I don't have endless patience to sift through crap. This is one discussion, IMO, where I can safely put aside anyone who votes for Tendulkar without regretting my decision an iota. The only answer that even gets near acceptable (and probably is acceptable actually) is something like yours where you may refuse to judge players you haven't seen. Even then, I think it's a very lazy answer (this is not Trueman vs Lindwall...this is Bradman) but I can move on from it.

Now again, I am not as interested in the reasons because I know that I am not going to hear a truly worthy argument to Tendulkar's superiority. I am interested in who and how many. There's no grand plan.

I don't agree with these points. Anyone who is twice as good as the best of the rest has to be the best ever. That is why I voted for Bradman. But again, some guys will be going by these points above and you cant bunch them with the blind followers of Sachin; because there is no way you can nullify those arguments with Bradman's average alone. Let them believe in what they think is right. You should try and source some vintage articles on bradman and post them here. Desperate to read something classy on cricket; enough of trading personal insults in the name of cricket.
I am pretty sure the people who state the above still have the wherewithal to make the distinction and come to your conclusion in the end.

Certainly, there are good points. But are there enough good points to dispute Bradman's superiority? That is what it comes down to and I am far less tolerant of the opinion that there are enough of these points than I am of the points themselves - which are debatable and go either way depending on your view point.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ironically, I like many of the Indian players and Tendulkar specifically because of that. I am not impressed by arguments of Tendulkar facing pressure. But I am impressed that despite this incredible adoration that he is still down to Earth. That he didn't get lazy and let it get to his head, but stuck it out and is still both a great player and a man worthy of being an example.

But I will say that because of these fanboys I root against India/Tendulkar in games because I can't stand the reactions. It's gotten to the point that people are discussing this like it's actually a comparison. Like they are comparing Tendulkar with Bradman as they did with Lara. IMO it's dangerous to people who truly love and know a lot about the game because Tendulkar's popularity is of such a magnitude that his fans will make it seem like it is a legitimate comparison. And they want to believe it so bad that they are willing to air any opinion that backs than from anyone who had any semblance of a cricket career so they can be like, "hey don't look at us, these guys think so too".

I love cricket but I do not want to have to argue Tendulkar v Bradman for the rest of my life against a bunch of, well, idiots.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Tendulkar is the irrelevant option, ****s.
:laugh:

"War and Peace" was a great novel. It was written in Russia which is geographically closer to India than Australia. So Tendulkar is better than Bradman. Is that okay with you, Ikki?

There is no way this thread is going to generate interesting arguments. Apart from the fanboys even some serious posters may vote for Tendulkar over Bradman. Their arguments could boil down to the following points.

1. We haven't seen Bradman play. So cant choose him over someone we have seen for 20+ years.

2. Bradman played only in two countries and in only 10 grounds. Sachin has played in every test playing nation on countless number of surfaces.

3. In Bradman's days, the bowling lacked teeth. There were no great bowlers in his oppositions who took 100+ wickets averaging under 25. Sachin had to play many great bowlers, both pace and spin, in his career.

4. Cricket as a game has become more athletic and more scientific with so much technical support etc. Bradman wouldn't be so far ahead of the rest if he played now instead of playing in an amateurish era.

Gun post.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Have you seen Bradman play? How do you know that the bowlers back then weren't the equivalent to the sixteen year old grade cricketers of today? The question isn't who was/is the best in their respective times it is who is the better player. To definitively answer that we would have to actually see their techniques/mental attributes and compare them which we obviously can't do. People who vote for Tendulkar shouldn't be dismissed just like that. We could also consider the better coaching, technology that Tendulkar has received over his career perfecting what to do/what not to do and things of that nature.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Certainly, there are good points. But are there enough good points to dispute Bradman's superiority? That is what it comes down to and I am far less tolerant of the opinion that there are enough of these points than I am of the points themselves - which are debatable and go either way depending on your view point.
This makes sense. You might think that these points are not enough to rank Tendulkar above Bradman but conversely there might be individuals like Dhillon who actually think that these points are enough to rank Tendulkar above Bradman. How do you assign weights to these arguments. They are very subjective

But I will say, that because of these fanboys I root against India/Tendulkar in games because I can't stand the reactions. .
awta

Status
Not open for further replies.