• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll - Bradman v Tendulkar

Bradman v Tendulkar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

akilana

International 12th Man
Oh really!!

Now Sangakkara averages 76.52 as a non keeper against 10 different teams this era.

And that too in 9 different countries in 46 matches.

So basically he is undisputed second batsman ever as a non keeper right in terms of basic maths?

And a case can be made based on numbers for him to be better than Bradman too ,i guess.

Bradman just played in 2 countries and what's to say had he only played in 2 countries ie srilanka (85.36 avg) and newzeland(134 avg) ,Australia(97.25) ,Zimbabwe(140.50) he would have averaged something similar only and that too against better teams than what other teams were in Bradman's era except England.
And also with more variation of bowlers at home, more commercial distractions, more technology to find a weakness and better cricketing standards in most other countries.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
If Sanga played in England and SA, he would average in 30s. If this was about Sanga vs Sachin, you wouldn't even consider bringing up those points you did here.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I

Sangakkara is a post about simple maths...not prima-facie averages, which is what you highlighted asking me about where I had said anything before. To show how else you were off the mark: the person we were talking about was someone who didn't know much about cricket and would just glance at averages...and you go, as example, filter out games where Sangakarra was a wicketkeeper...as if that relates at all to a noob cricket fan. :laugh: Let's move on buddy.
Hell!!
I made the Sangakarra and Lohmann post almost side by side.

And it is a case of simple maths after the filtering is done and a noob is given the averages like he is the normal one.

Can't really believe know you are really resorting to these pedantic points which prove nothing,to try and disprove the broader point i am making now.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If Sanga played in England and SA, he would average in 30s. If this was about Sanga vs Sachin, you wouldn't even consider bringing up those points you did here.
It's not a Sachin vs Sanga debate though.

And i brought that up here to prove a broader point more than anything else.

And Bradman only played in 2 countries not 9. So i think we could chose from 5 out of 9 .Though either way it is hypothetical. And it will have to be in the future as no one is going to be playing 52 matches in 2 countries against only one above minnow standard opposition out of 5 any time soon.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Mate, just have a look at the way you asked people to vote:

You made a thread and basically said "hi, choose who you think is better, by the way if you pick Sachin you are a ****ing idiot and I am going to let you know that every time you post from now on."

Classy stuff man.
Really can't believe such posts have been tolerated and this thread has gone on.
Basically it is generalising and insulting more than what the guy in the other thread did who was banned for it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hell!!
I made the Sangakarra and Lohmann post almost side by side.

And it is a case of simple maths after the filtering is done and a noob is given the averages like he is the normal one.

Can't really believe know you are really resorting to these pedantic points which prove nothing,to try and disprove the broader point i am making now.
But you didn't, so stop lying. They were in two different posts. The minute you brought up George Lohmann and mentioned prima facie averages...I replied to it.

The point about Bradman was that even if you knew nothing about the game; you could just look at their averages and subtract. You then go make a comparison where you get a player's stats, then filter for wk; and then subtract? As if that is going to make sense to a fan that knows nothing about the game. :laugh: That's why I asked you: do you actually read what is written before you reply? Look, I am done. Think what you want.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
It's not a Sachin vs Sanga debate though.

And i brought that up here to prove a broader point more than anything else.

And Bradman only played in 2 countries not 9. So i think we could chose from 5 out of 9 .Though either way it is hypothetical.
Did Bradman refuse to play other countries to preserve his average?

How could he have played more than two countries?

When you choose 5 countries, why don't you choose the five that a batsman played worse against?

What you all do is pick the best years of each player and compare that with Bradman's overall record. Just compare Bradman's best with others best and see where they stand.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Did Bradman refuse to play other countries to preserve his average?

How could he have played more than two countries?

When you choose 5 countries, why don't you choose the five that a batsman played worse against?

What you all do is pick the best years of each player and compare that with Bradman's overall record. Just compare Bradman's best with others best and see where they stand.
Because to expect a player to perform equally against 9 different countries in 9 different countries similar to someone who played just in 2 countries against only one good opposition is a bit unrealistic.
And that is discounting all the other factors.

It is hypothetical both ways though. And i said previously i used it to prove a wider point.

Last edited:

akilana

International 12th Man
Of all the dire posts in this thread, This is the worst.
Really? You missed the ones that guessed Bradman would average 70s and 50s in the current era?

Ya of course you missed every post that tried to put Sachin in the same pedestal as Bradman.

Just look at your back for dirt before you look elsewhere.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Atleast we have seriously started comparing "Uncomparable" Bradman here in CW to someone.

That's a good start for CW and something which has changed over time and i guess will change further more down the road .
At last, Bradman is not god and open to bescrutinized!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.